Large Redpower tunnel bore in Mindcrack v7 keeps breaking.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
A while back we got a 3x3 tunnel bore started at Y11 for diamonds and the like.. as this bore moved along and got us more resources, we added on to it several times, and eventually ended up with a two-head tunnel bore. One 16x4 head at Y11, then a 1-wide arm going up to Y40 for copper with a 5x5 head. This moved along nicely for a while until it got about 5000 blocks out.. the admin and I went to check on it and as we approached the bore, we both crashed and couldn't get back on. Every time we would try to rejoin, we'd get an error about Redpower microblocks.. after rebooting the server and still not getting on, we had to have one of the mods teleport us out as soon as we logged in. We marked that bore off as a net gain on resources and went about our business.

Until a few days later- I decided that I needed another tunnel bore. The first one had gotten us way more resources than we needed at the time, so I went big. 16x4 at the base at Y11, a 4-wide arm all the way up to Y40, and another 16x4 head up there. All told, at least 4 stacks of blockbreakers were involved. I threw on the inchworm drive at the bottom, an autojunking system, a battery recharge system, and a sorting machine to an ender chest for everything we wanted to keep. After applying covers generously for smooth sailing, we let it off with a world anchor to do its thing.

But then it stopped. Weird, I thought, as I had put enough ender pearls to keep it running for at least another day. So I made the long trek to see what was up. A couple thousand blocks out and I caught up to it. The bore was just sitting there.. motors spinning and breakers breaking but no movement whatsoever. I go around for a better inspection of the bore head and what do I see? A chunk of about 16 breakers and a few of the accompanying frames, gone. Right at the top-right of the Y11 head. Creeper, you say? Mob griefing is disabled. Another player? No. I don't know what it was, but I patched it up and set it on its way.

Until it stopped again. A couple thousand more blocks out from the last point.. same deal, just this time near the bottom of the arm going up to Y40. About 8 of them gone. Admin was on at the time and he patched that up for me, and we let it move on.

And then again. Same problem. This time at about Z 16000, another chunk missing, this time only 3. Patched up now and it's currently doing its thing.

Could it be lag? I had to slow down the bore to about 10 seconds between moves so it wouldn't bog the server down. I'm thinking somehow it's moving juuust right such that the blockbreakers glitch out and just disappear. No mob griefing, no immature players. If this isn't something easily explainable, I'll send in a bug report to Eloraam.

tl;dr: Tunnel bore keeps breaking randomly, missing small chunks of breakers occasionally. What gives?

(I realize this is oddly long for such a simple topic but I got carried away..)

<*///><

Jul 29, 2019
I had a tunnel bore that died to a dungeon somehow spawning and eating part of the tunnel bore's head. Perhaps it is something similar?
Although in my case it was quite clear what had happened, as i could walk through the tunnel bore directly into the dungeon, with spawner and all.

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
I had similar results in a singleplayer world. The glitch was always on a chunk boundary, specifically if hte bore head was wider than a single chunk. Even with a chunk loader, it continued to happen.

In my case, I basically realized that most of the chunkloaders just don't like moving. The exception seems to be the Railcraft ones, particularly the Chunkloading Rail Cart on a short segment of rail.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that the ChickenChunks loader just didn't cut it at all for me. It would stop working whenever I left the area, despite claims that it worked with frames (according to the mod topic on minecraftforums). Railcraft loaders work excellently, in my experience. I never did think to check if it was on a chunk boundary, come to think of it. But when I assembled the whole thing, I made sure I kept it contained within one chunk just to avoid any chunk-related issues. It's actually stopped right now so I may go see if it's on a chunk boundary again.

When I got there, there wasn't anything that suggested worldgen had taken out a piece of it.. the blockbreakers and frames were just missing. Nothing generated in their place, just air.

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
I never had my disappear, if I recall. Mine always tore itself in half, across the chunk boundary. Sometimes it would duplicate part as well.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that the ChickenChunks loader just didn't cut it at all for me. It would stop working whenever I left the area, despite claims that it worked with frames (according to the mod topic on minecraftforums). Railcraft loaders work excellently, in my experience. I never did think to check if it was on a chunk boundary, come to think of it. But when I assembled the whole thing, I made sure I kept it contained within one chunk just to avoid any chunk-related issues. It's actually stopped right now so I may go see if it's on a chunk boundary again.

When I got there, there wasn't anything that suggested worldgen had taken out a piece of it.. the blockbreakers and frames were just missing. Nothing generated in their place, just air.
Actually a while ago Chickenbones had a note about his chunk loaders and frames not working correctly. Looking at the changelog for the chunk loader mod it hasn't been updated or fixed yet. While it did work well with frames at first, it is currently bugged and the world anchors are the way to go until Chickenbones fixes it. No idea why the note about that is gone, I assume it might have to do with his new note about how his page was flagged for malware a few days ago and he just erased his old note.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Just checked it out, and yes it looks like it was on a chunk boundary. This time, it only lost two blockbreakers and their accompanying frames on the top left side of the Y40 head. Hm. Hopefully it won't break for a while as we're already at Z -19000 and this run is getting long.. I put a portal spawner on it but didn't think about water possibly washing it away, so I think I lost that one.

NyanChicken

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh tunnel bores give you tons of resources but area huge pain in the @ss

Well I made a huge tunnel bore too a 8x18 much like yours with battery recharge system,railcraft chunk loader,inchworm drive but the same thing kept happening to me well it happened once but now all my block breakers are receiving power but about 6 of theme don't break any blocks anymore for some reason I tried almost everything to try to fix them replace them change how they were receiving the signal but nope they just don't work :/

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to use two chunk loaders and set them up so that while one is moving, the other one is always stationary and safely keeping everything loaded.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to use two chunk loaders and set them up so that while one is moving, the other one is always stationary and safely keeping everything loaded.

Which would require a separate motor hooked to one to push it forward first, then the bore would slide forward such that the loader would be ready to be pushed again? At this point, it's honestly too much work for what it's worth. We've got more resources than we know what to do with right now. Just made two full-sized emerald beacons yesterday because why not. It's a good idea though.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Mine glitched like yours, on several occasions, too. What I did is, I placed one world anchor (and, I think, even a spotloader for "over the top") inside, one at the very front (2 blocks behind the block breackers) and one at the very end.
On top of that - in case any of you have a setup of wireless redstone on your TBMs for fast on/off switching - remove it. WR-CBE brought me crashes whenever it crossed a chunkborder and I was present in the chunks it was crossing at that moment. Got rid of these parts - and it works like a charm since then.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
When a chunk loader is moved, for that brief moment as far as the game is concerned there isn't a chunk loader in the area. This is enough for the chunks in that area to be unloaded, and that's what's causing your problem.

To resolve this problem, you will need two chunk loaders: one to keep the other one loaded and the second to load your frame system. Moving the CLs with turtles is an option.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
What about using a World Anchor cart, keeping that cart 'locked' in place on the TBM, and having it move with the machine?

example:
-Frame- -Frame- -Frame-
-Frame- -Cart- -Frame-
-Frame- -Frame- -Frame-

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
So long as you have two chunk loaders paired with each other it should be absolutely fine.

In fact with the Anchor Cart as that is already a mobile CL it should be OK to use on its own if you trust it enough.