Bug Large modpack chunk error fixing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
I have a somewhat large modpack (404 mods), and there is chunkloading errors litterally everywhere. like, even after pressing f3+a, they still remain, and like, i can say that theres more chunkloading errored chunks then not. i have fastcraft installled, moving around large distances seems to load a bit of them, but other than that, i cant see what could be causing it. i have fastcraft, optifine didnt seem to do much when i had it installed.

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
404 mods is insane and could be any one of them(or none of them), or you could be just overtaxing your system
yeah, but i have fastcraft and 6gb of ram installed. optifine didnt seem to do much, and they do load, occasionaly, in good amounts. and which mod could ever cause such chunk loading errors?

edit: also, when i create a new world, even if it is a copy of an old world, the area around spawn loads alright. but when loading it up after a while, or dying, it doesent load very well.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The number of mods isn't the main problem here of course it isn't helping. Chances are you have over loaded your world gen leading to chunks just never loading.
I don't think it will help much but up your permgen a little. Not past a gig though.
But chances are you have too many mods. 6 gigs will not be enough.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Chunk loading errors are a fact of life in MC and there's not much you can do about it, modding extensively makes it a whole lot worse. I doubt it's one particular mod but rather just an overload, I suggest cutting your mods to a max of about 200

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
man, so there isnt any magical cure for chunk erroring? darn... and i was thinking on adding 2 more mods.. ill try upping the permgen size.

edit: what happens if you up your permgen size past a gig?

double edit: turns out i already had the ram set to 8 gigs.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
My wife and I get these missing chunks all the time: empty black chunks that allow you to see into the sides of the neighboring chunks...sometimes just a single one but more often a long line of them? If you head away from the chunk (outside your view distance) or dimension jump away then back, the chunk should populate. I'm not sure what the cause is. Out of curiosity, are you running a local game or are you playing on a server? I setup a server for my friends and I. U running any texture packs?

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
My wife and I get these missing chunks all the time: empty black chunks that allow you to see into the sides of the neighboring chunks...sometimes just a single one but more often a long line of them? If you head away from the chunk (outside your view distance) or dimension jump away then back, the chunk should populate. I'm not sure what the cause is. Out of curiosity, are you running a local game or are you playing on a server? I setup a server for my friends and I. U running any texture packs?

no, no texture packs, and im on singleplayer. how many mods do you use? and for me, its similair, but i dont even see the sides of neighboring chunks: not even the neighboring chunks load. like, around spawn, the area is just completely unloaded chunks, and nothing else. only a couple of entity based cables from IHL tools and machines.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I use base Infinity + a few others (BetterStorage, RogueLike Dungeons, Iguana Tinkers Tweaks). Oh, wow, yea, that's not the same problem as I'm experiencing. So basically, your world is not loading?

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
I use base Infinity + a few others (BetterStorage, RogueLike Dungeons, Iguana Tinkers Tweaks). Oh, wow, yea, that's not the same problem as I'm experiencing. So basically, your world is not loading?
sorta, except if i go far enough way, most new chunks will load alright, but around my spawn, where i actualy built a couple of things, like some IHL tools and machines.. machines, it just doesent load. like, chunks that were loaded when i first created the world, wont load up again when i go to go play in said world again, although sometimes like, 1 may load out of all of them. somtimes, its a bit rare though.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't claim to be an expert but it sounds like either a conflict between mods, a buggy mod or a corrupt chunk file. What's the radius of chunks around spawn? Is it roughly 32x32? That could correlate to a region file that could have potentially been corrupted. Also, how many times have you loaded the world prior to it corrupting and were any mods introduced since then or did you start out the world with the exact same pack you're using now? Perhaps you can try removing the least desired mods from the pack one at a time (or in groups) and re-loading the world? I 'think' that would have the effect of stripping the now invalid blocks from the world and potentially removing the conflict/buggy block/mod.

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
2015-09-03_12.17.10_Copy of new world 5 or so_Overworld_day.png
I don't claim to be an expert but it sounds like either a conflict between mods, a buggy mod or a corrupt chunk file. What's the radius of chunks around spawn? Is it roughly 32x32? That could correlate to a region file that could have potentially been corrupted. Also, how many times have you loaded the world prior to it corrupting and were any mods introduced since then or did you start out the world with the exact same pack you're using now?

im pretty sure it was the same mods i used when i created the world, and i remember seeing at the very least a single cubic chunk render, near bedrock level. it wasnt and entire vertical chunk, but just a bit near bedrock, and it was like, 5 chunks from where i did almost all my building? yeah, and im not sure if its rougly 32 chunks by 32, but it is a bit far, it may be. if it is a conflict between mods, or a buggy mod, then finding it will probably be impossible. however, themodpack maker says that hes gonna be releasing an update soon, removing a couple of mods, and doing something that might help fix the chunk loading errors.

edit: i added a picture of my minimap mod im using, joruneymap. you can sorta see which chunks arent loading, its inbetween all the loaded chunks.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow that's catastrophic... The chunk loading errors I'm talking about are purely render issues and a relog fixes them. Those chunks just aren't generating, there's something very very wrong in that modpack(apart from it being ridiculously large), if you haven't gotten too far in your world I would start over with a MUCH smaller modpack...

And tell the pack creator he's just daft expecting 400 mods to work together, preferably slap him/her

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Theres got to be a lot of redundancy in a pack that large, not to mention conflicting recipes and more than likely, a few bug ridden mods.

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
actually, most of the mods seem to be alright, of atleast average quality, or above average. and last time i checked, theres no thaumic horizons in the pack. there is, however, thuamic tinker, thaumic bases, tainted magic, forbidden magic, i think thats what its called, and essential thaumaturgy. oh and thaumic energistics. maybe 1 or 2 more, for all the thaumcraft addons. the tabs along the side of the thaumonomicon gui, that most addons add, all the sides are completely filled up with tabs. like, if you added in another thaumcraft mod, the tab for it will have to go on the top or the bottom of the book gui.

edit: heres the link to the modpack: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mats-techpack-1710.450813/updates . i also updated ic2, added in IHL tools and machines, along with metallurgy, and thats all my additions... i think.

double edit: is it actually impossible to be able to load and successfully play with 404 mods? i hope so, even if it means doing some difficult stuff.

Last edited:

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
is it actually impossible to be able to load and successfully play with 404 mods? i hope so, even if it means doing some difficult stuff.

"Not impossible, just highly unlikely." - The Doctor

Save yourself the headache and play with a smaller modpack, you won't use half of those mods anyway

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
"Not impossible, just highly unlikely." - The Doctor

Save yourself the headache and play with a smaller modpack, you won't use half of those mods anyway

but... i might. and you could like, create some epic stuff with 404 mods. it even has funky locomotion, allowing you to use frames to make giant moving things, but i prefer remain in motion.