[LAM] Learn A Mod - Project (Recruitments are open!)

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
This...is a really good idea @BrainInBlack.

Never mind new players, I'd really love to make use of this myself as a good way to ease into mods I typically skip.
That's at least one of the reasons i came up with LAM. There are so many awesome mods out there, but so little time to learn them all. Especially if they don't have proper documentation.

Yes you could try and learn from a Spotlight on YouTube, but it's better to learn a thing by just doing it. And that's what we're trying to achieve. Creating an environment where you can learn, by just doing it.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'm aware you're not at the building stage yet, but I'm very familiar with a fair number of mods. Namely the UE and RF families of mods.

88VoidMiner88

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to help out, i can help you with a lot of mods from ftb, i can help you in making a section for some mod interactions if you need it :D

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
So, here a little progress update:

Things ToDo:
  • Rewrite/update the entry post (recruitment requirements, map link and so on...)
  • Finding a server and/or server sponsor
  • A basic mod tutorial, to showcase the LAM principle

More to come... soon :p

SwarthyBard

Jul 29, 2019
The idea of a mod practice course is a great one, some friends of mine can't sit through a spotlight vid(one said DW20 was putting him to sleep) or just use a wiki to learn mod mechanics. Some people just learn kinesthetically and need to blow up a base or two in order to figure it out. I'd like to try helping out with any building/demos I can, I'll keep following this thread for any updates and you can PM me for any info you need.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
  • Entry Post Updated!
  • New Requirements added!
I'm aware that these requirements seem a bit harsh, but for a mammoth project like this, it is required to set the bar a bit higher than the usual run of the mill map-project.

The idea of a mod practice course is a great one, some friends of mine can't sit through a spotlight vid(one said DW20 was putting him to sleep) or just use a wiki to learn mod mechanics. Some people just learn kinesthetically and need to blow up a base or two in order to figure it out. I'd like to try helping out with any building/demos I can, I'll keep following this thread for any updates and you can PM me for any info you need.
That is exactly my point ;)

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
  • Entry Post Updated!
  • New Requirements added!
I'm aware that these requirements seem a bit harsh, but for a mammoth project like this, it is required to set the bar a bit higher than the usual run of the mill map-project.

That is exactly my point ;)
Am I still part of the team? I'm (as I said before) an experienced builder AND a mod expert

Lucky_strike_DXD

Jul 29, 2019
i can help with Thermal expansion and Forestry and a few other mods lesser known mods(ex Nihilo&ex Aqualio in example, taking these 2 because of Agrarian skies modpack)

HeroGabe

Jul 29, 2019
I want to be a Mod Expert covering Thaumic Tinkerer, Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI, any magic mod that's left, I will be taking that position. I have built a room on a world that only I have access to, and that world is not going to be given away.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
I want to be a Mod Expert covering Thaumic Tinkerer, Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI, any magic mod that's left, I will be taking that position. I have built a room on a world that only I have access to, and that world is not going to be given away.
Would be nice if you can link or send some screenshots, or if you like upload the world where you build the room.

i can help with Thermal expansion and Forestry and a few other mods lesser known mods(ex Nihilo&ex Aqualio in example, taking these 2 because of Agrarian skies modpack)
Sounds great, but we need you to build at least one room, in the style described in the first post, so that we can see that you're able to "teach" other players a mod by just let them traverse an assault course like map. It just have to be one room where you "describe" how a specific part of a mod works.

Update:
The project will start as soon the first official 1.8 Modpacks will come out. Why? Well, many Mod-Devs decided to skip 1.7, so there will most likely be no 1.7 Modpacks...

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Would be nice if you can link or send some screenshots, or if you like upload the world where you build the room.

Sounds great, but we need you to build at least one room, in the style described in the first post, so that we can see that you're able to "teach" other players a mod by just let them traverse an assault course like map. It just have to be one room where you "describe" how a specific part of a mod works.

Update:
The project will start as soon the first official 1.8 Modpacks will come out. Why? Well, many Mod-Devs decided to skip 1.7, so there will most likely be no 1.7 Modpacks...

1.8 will be ages away, I think it's a poor decision to wait that long.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 will be ages away, I think it's a poor decision to wait that long.
Well, we currently don't have the manpower needed to get started right away. And we have to face the reality that this project will take a hell of a lot of time, just to finish one mod, let alone the content of a whole modpack. For each mod we have to design, build and test a whole assault course, that covers each aspect of that particular mod.

In short, we can't just flip the switch an everything is done. But i understand your concern, but there is nothing we can do about it at the moment. Maybe if we have the manpower and 1.8 is still down the line, then we will start sooner.

what is the mod you prefer i make the room in?
Use what ever you like, or are the most familiar with. It's a requirement so we can see if you're able to build what we need. It doesn't have to be pretty, pretty comes later ;)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Well, we currently don't have the manpower needed to get started right away. And we have to face the reality that this project will take a hell of a lot of time, just to finish one mod, let alone the content of a whole modpack. For each mod we have to design, build and test a whole assault course, that covers each aspect of that particular mod.

In short, we can't just flip the switch an everything is done. But i understand your concern, but there is nothing we can do about it at the moment. Maybe if we have the manpower and 1.8 is still down the line, then we will start sooner.

Use what ever you like, or are the most familiar with. It's a requirement so we can see if you're able to build what we need. It doesn't have to be pretty, pretty comes later ;)

I'm fairly sure you have the man power, and I imagine each room will take a game session to complete if each individual person does one at a time, also you are underestimating the length of the wait. If all modders were updating to 1.7 then we'd likely have the next pack in July, however 1.8 isn't even out yet and given the track record of FTB the 1.8 packs won't be out until December. That's a hell of a long time. If you wait that long you'll start losing interest and therefore manpower.