[LAM] Learn A Mod - Project (Recruitments are open!)

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
Learn A Mod - Project
Assisted do it your self learning.

Learn A Mod, LAM in short, will be a map where players can learn every aspect of a specific mod, without all the distractions within a normal Minecraft map. Just think of how Portal is introducing each and every element that will be required to master a specific obstacle.

A simple room, without many distractions, a clearly visible goal and a set of tools, in this case the famous Portal Gun, to reach that goal.

The goal of LAM is, to translate that simple learning experience from portal, to the more complex Minecraft Mods.

Let us take Thaumcraft 4 as an example:
  • Craft 2 Iron Caps
  • Combine those 2 Caps with a Stick, to get a Wand
  • Place a Bookshelf and right click it with the newly crafted wand
  • Boom, you get the Thaumonomicon

Up until this point, everything is pretty straightforward and the next few steps are fairly simple as well. But then comes the point where you have to combine different aspects, to unlock all the other aspects needed for the more advanced stuff. And unless you read the whole aspect section, you won't know that at all. You'll just keep wondering why you can't scan a simple grass block.

Some people may call that laziness, or even bad design (mechanic design), i call it a "learning wall".

LAM aim is to eliminate these "walls", i.e. smoothing the learning curve, by dividing aspects of a mod into bite size chunks and removing all the distractions. So that the player can focus on that specific aspect.

Let us take the Thaumcraft 4 example again, but this time translate it to a simple room with no distractions:

ex01.png
Craft a Wand - Within the chest is everything need to craft the wand... (and yes, this was a quick and dirty build!)

ex02.png
Craft the Thaumonomicon

Instead of just telling a player how to craft all those things, he/she can discover this on his/her own, with some subtle hints. For example the Iron Nuggets needed to craft the Iron Caps, are already correctly arrange inside the chest. The player only has to copy this arrangement on to the crafting table, to get the Caps. Simple, right?

So, what is LAM?
  • A simple, distraction free learning environment, with subtle hints and/or very clear instructions.
  • A way to smooth out the learning curve of complex mods.

Current State of the Project: Recruitments are open!

Current Team:

Preview:
Open Positions:
  • Experienced Builders/Designers
  • Mod Experts
  • Server Admins/Sponsors

• Within this Thread or PM
  • IRC #LAM on Esper.net

General Requirements:
  • Teamspirit
  • Mature Behavior (We don't care about age)

Builder Requirements:
  • Clear and minimalistic build-style
  • Ability to follow general design guidelines
  • Mod experience is a plus, but not a must

Mod Expert Requirements:
  • Has to know each and every aspect of a specific mod (not just the basics)
  • Ability to teach a specific part of a mod, in a simplistic and clear way

How To Apply:
  • Give a explanation of why you want in on the project and what position you want.
  • (Builders) Post/Link some screenshots of your latest builds
  • (Mod Experts) Build a room explaining one specific part of the mod you want to cover (Use either the Monster or DW20 FTB-Pack)

Any questions, suggestions? Just post them below...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mevansuto

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
I would be willing to help out. I am very familiar with mekanism, factorization, Steve's factory manager, pretty familiar with botania, and most of the thaumcraft addons

Also a fairly experienced builder
Placed on internal list...

Great, you cover a bunch of mods i don't even have a clue about, except thaumcraft :D

Keep in mind, this project is still in the planning stage! I.e. it is depending on support and interest from the community. So it could happen that this project will be canceled.

SGTkuzey

Jul 29, 2019
Learn A Mod - Project
Assisted do it your self learning.

Learn A Mod, LAM in short, will be a map where players can learn every aspect of a specific mod, without all the distractions within a normal Minecraft map. Just think of how Portal is introducing each and every element that will be required to master a specific obstacle.

A simple room, without many distractions, a clearly visible goal and a set of tools, in this case the famous Portal Gun, to reach that goal.

The goal of LAM is, to translate that simple learning experience from portal, to the more complex Minecraft Mods.

Let us take Thaumcraft 4 as an example:
  • Craft 2 Iron Caps
  • Combine those 2 Caps with a Stick, to get a Wand
  • Place a Bookshelf and right click it with the newly crafted wand
  • Boom, you get the Thaumonomicon

Up until this point, everything is pretty straightforward and the next few steps are fairly simple as well. But then comes the point where you have to combine different aspects, to unlock all the other aspects needed for the more advanced stuff. And unless you read the whole aspect section, you won't know that at all. You'll just keep wondering why you can't scan a simple grass block.

Some people may call that laziness, or even bad design (mechanic design), i call it a "learning wall".

LAM aim is to eliminate these "walls", i.e. smoothing the learning curve, by dividing aspects of a mod into bite size chunks and removing all the distractions. So that the player can focus on that specific aspect.

Let us take the Thaumcraft 4 example again, but this time translate it to a simple room with no distractions:

View attachment 10065
Craft a Wand - Within the chest is everything need to craft the wand... (and yes, this was a quick and dirty build!)

View attachment 10067
Craft the Thaumonomicon

Instead of just telling a player how to craft all those things, he/she can discover this on his/her own, with some subtle hints. For example the Iron Nuggets needed to craft the Iron Caps, are already correctly arrange inside the chest. The player only has to copy this arrangement on to the crafting table, to get the Caps. Simple, right?

So, what is LAM?
  • A simple, distraction free learning environment, with subtle hints and/or very clear instructions.
  • A way to smooth out the learning curve of complex mods.

Current State of the Project: Planning Phase

Current Team:
  • BrainInBlack - Project Lead

Open Positions:
  • Experienced Builders
  • People familiar with each and every aspect of a specific mod
  • Server Admins/Sponsors (needed for the map building phase)

Any questions, suggestions? Just post them below...
You need something that makes this different other than the other mod spotlights&tutorials, maybe covering a FTB mod pack in one map would work better and make it more unique.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
You need something that makes this different other than the other mod spotlights&tutorials, maybe covering a FTB mod pack in one map would work better and make it more unique.
It's not a video series it's a map that you play through to try and understand a mod

Reactions: _Nobody_

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
LAM is completely different, the player does everything on his own, with a bit of guidance from our site.

The basic concept is:
  • One map (incl. a Modpack), as interactive tutorial for each mod.
  • Different Areas/Ages for each and every Mod in the pack, so that the player can choose which mod he/she want's to learn

SGTkuzey

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a video series it's a map that you play through to try and understand a mod
I know.
maybe covering a FTB mod pack in one map would work better and make it more unique.
Video or not, it is still a tutorial/review and probably most of the people wouldn't bother downloading it for only one mod unless it's a really complicated one, but creating a whole FTB tutorial on one map would gather more attention.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
[...]but creating a whole FTB tutorial on one map would gather more attention.
Same thing... just a different name :D

EDIT:
The goal of FTB is, to use every mod within a pack to its fullest potential. But if you're new to some of the mods, you will probably hit a point where you don't know how to continue, simply because you don't know every feature of a specific mod.

That's where LAM comes to play. Pop in the map, go to the area for a specific mod and learn each aspect of that mod.

Last edited:

SGTkuzey

Jul 29, 2019
Same thing... just a different name :D

EDIT:
The goal of FTB is, to use every mod within a pack to its fullest potential. But if you're new to some of the mods, you will probably hit a point where you don't know how to continue, simply because you don't know every feature of a specific mod.

That's where LAM comes to play. Pop in the map, go to the area for a specific mod and learn each aspect of that mod.
It is similar, but for a mod pack and not for only one mod. :p

SGTkuzey

Jul 29, 2019
And I know what's the purpose for LAM is, just saying it'd gather more attention if it was for a mod pack and not for a single mod. For example a huge map for FTB monster where you could choose a level/building for a specific type of mod (Magic/tech/worldgen/utility/etc.) and then choose the mod itself for a tutorial/guide about it in that level/building.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
It is similar, but for a mod pack and not for only one mod. :p
Never said that LAM is only for one mod...

I just went the extra mile, to keep LAM open for none FTB pack mods.

~ DoublePostMerge ~

[...] For example a huge map for FTB monster where you could choose a level/building for a specific type of mod (Magic/tech/worldgen/utility/etc.) and then choose the mod itself for a tutorial/guide about it in that level/building.
That's the structure i had in mind anyway... but just not bound to any of the ftb packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SGTkuzey

SGTkuzey

Jul 29, 2019
How about the most useful/popular mods in a Minecraft version in one huge map? It'd be an epic project.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
How about the most useful/popular mods in a Minecraft version in one huge map? It'd be an epic project.
It will be an epic project! That's why i need manpower... a decent server to actually build that map... and so on...

Almost everything is already planned and i'm currently working on some prototypes, to illustrate how everything comes together. Basically each mod will get it's own Mystcraft age, so that everything can be a bit more organized and the player doesn't need an uber machine. The overworld will be the hub, from where you enter each mod-age. I think, you get the picture ;)

Reactions: SGTkuzey

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to it, need any specific help about something?
As stated before, we need lots and lots of people with profound knowledge of all the mods that will be covered. Also builders, who design and build the map. And the most important thing... we need a decent server for the actual build. So that a bunch of people can build at different parts of the map, at the same time.

TaticalPT

Jul 29, 2019
wow awesome project :D
Somethimes is hard to learn all the mods and what every mod does.
I just hope you release this some so i can learn all the mods ^^ .

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
wow awesome project :D
Somethimes is hard to learn all the mods and what every mod does.
I just hope you release this some so i can learn all the mods ^^ .
We're still in a very early stage, so a release won't happen until the majority of mods switched to MC 1.7.x. However, there is a prototype coming for the current DW 20 pack, but it will only cover a few mods (the ones i know to be exact).

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I could assist with Applied Energistics and Extra Cells, Thermal Expansion, Rotary Craft, IC2, MFR, Buildcraft, and Ender IO.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
I could assist with Applied Energistics and Extra Cells, Thermal Expansion, Rotary Craft, IC2, MFR, Buildcraft, and Ender IO.
Placed on internal List

Keep in mind that we're still in the planning phase, so there is no actual build going on right now (besides the prototype i'm working on).