Laggy server and my base

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
So I posted this in the ask a quick question and realized this is not a quick question

So I'm curious, I have a tier 5 blood alter. There's a mob spawner above it. It uses cursed earth. I have 9 caged lights from project red. I have ender io insulated red conduit to control them. I have a hopper hock, an ender chest and a day bloom and nightshade to power it. I have a mana pool and spreader to facilitate.
There is a lot of server lag and opis keeps sending the admin to my blood alter.

I'm curious why this is. What's so laggy about this build?

Edit : I also have a well of suffering

Pics

bb318db40968eb659d83bb7fb62b4a0b.jpg

c25e35c0cf5e823c56fdc041cfbba4e4.jpg

Also Logs for the crashes are here

http://pastebin.com/jtRyCxFK PART 1

http://pastebin.com/LexDKT8u part 2

I spoke with Wayoftime and he can't find any reason the alter would cause this. The only thing different between mine and the other alters on the server is they use vacuum hoppers and I use a hopperhock. Could the botania be causing this issue?

Last edited:

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
  1. [Netty Client IO #3/ERROR] [FML]: NetworkDispatcher exceptionio.netty.handler.timeout.ReadTimeoutException
That's your issue, it's caused by a mod trying to send a packet that's too big, I had it with Morph.

EDIT: seems I was wrong, some more info and it's actually the server crashing which will naturally throw that msg. I thought it was just his client.

Last edited:

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
well since I personally don't use morph if I don't have to... I has wings... and opis was sending him to my alter... would it be safe to assume that it belongs to one of the mods located there at that location?

This would be:

Blood Magic
Extra Utilties
Ender IO (one item conduit from the alter to a chest, and quite a few insulated redstone)
Better Chests? (which ever makes a diamond chest)
carpenter's blocks
Botania
chicken chunks spot loaders
Project Red's lights

I know if only I could narrow it down?

Also this is taking place above y level 150... so honestly I don't know if any of the base (i'll check) is below that spot. I don't believe it is... but it could be. I don't know if Opis would teleport him just to the chunk or to a relative y level for the offending block(s)

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I saw a let's play where they were doing lag hunting on a server, and there they also mentioned that the blood magic altars were showing up high in the Opis list.

What happens (in Opis) if you remove the altar block? (not sure if that is the main TE, haven't used blood magic)

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I saw a let's play where they were doing lag hunting on a server, and there they also mentioned that the blood magic altars were showing up high in the Opis list.

What happens (in Opis) if you remove the altar block? (not sure if that is the main TE, haven't used blood magic)

I don't know... I'd like to see what would happen. I doubt you have too many takers because they wouldn't want to loose all the blood. I'll ask the admin if we can try this. I wonder if that does work what we could do get some kind of log to send to Wayoftime.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The ReadTimeout and your lag are probably not the same cause UNLESS the server TPS/CPU usage is fine and it's just you experiencing the lag, then it could be your connection dropping packets.

Just because something is showing up high in OPIS doesn't mean it's causing lag, remember OPIS measures in micro seconds, TPS is milli seconds... Server lag is ONLY indicated when the server TPS goes above 50ms and the server CPU starts spiking to 100%. Then you can start going round and pinpointing what might be hogging resources(hint it's ALWAYS entities, not tile entities).

If the server TPS is fine, your connection isn't dropping packets(almost impossible to completely rule out), then it's a mod pushing a packet that's too big, this is REALLY difficult to track down especially on a private pack. I only found out it was morph because there were no reports on the Infinity forum and morph was the only thing I changed.

It's also more likely to be a background handler causing this than a specific area.

Last edited:

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
The ReadTimeout and your lag are probably not the same cause UNLESS the server TPS/CPU usage is fine and it's just you experiencing the lag, then it could be your connection dropping packets.

No it's happening to everyone. Tremendous lag. then the connection throttles and we wait and try to connect again. It happened like that for a while till I gave up. Apparently it's still going on. The chunk loaders are set to only load when someone is online. If it's still happening when I'm offline then it can't be the alter or anything around it...

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I have no idea... I'm not the server admin. I was just told by the admin that my blood alter was causing the lag... Which I don't think that is correct because I took down all chunkloaders before I came to work and monitored the irc chat and it's still going on.

This is what's listed on the website as server specs
  • Dedicated
  • Quad Core
  • 16GB Ram
  • 2TB Raid 10
  • 100mbps up to 10TB Bandwidth
EDIT: also they're using cauldron? I don't know what that means exactly or if that makes a difference...

it allows them to use bukket addons... I'm assuming that is the /home /spawn /back teleportation system that is in use on the server.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also this is taking place above y level 150... so honestly I don't know if any of the base (i'll check) is below that spot. I don't believe it is... but it could be. I don't know if Opis would teleport him just to the chunk or to a relative y level for the offending block(s)
If he is using Opis it should:
A: show chunks that have high total processing time. If he just teleports to that chunk, then it is the total of all blocks in that chunk that is counted together, no matter the Y-level.
B: Opis is able to list every single blocked ranked on processing time required. If there is some block in specific that is causing problems that he can pinpoint it EXACTLY on that list.

If he cannot tell you exactly which block it is but just tells you that it is "this area" then he either doesn't know how to use Opis or he just picks up your entire base(that you probably built very compact).

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
If he cannot tell you exactly which block it is but just tells you that it is "this area" then he either doesn't know how to use Opis or he just picks up your entire base(that you probably built very compact).

I did build it fairly compact chunk wise. It sits across 3 chunks vertically in a mountain. Though I thought the alter was a little further into another chunk but it might not be. I think he prob is not super familiar with all that opis offers.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I did build it fairly compact chunk wise. It sits across 3 chunks vertically in a mountain. Though I thought the alter was a little further into another chunk but it might not be. I think he prob is not super familiar with all that opis offers.

Can you maybe get him to take a picture of the OPIS screen and post it here? That would help a great deal.