Lag that shouldn't be happening server side...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

laserball31

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'm experiencing strange lag on my public FTB server that really shouldn't happening. When around 12 people come on, the TPS starts dropping down to 15 and below. My specs should certainly be able to handle more than 12 people, and the servers starts dying at around 14-15. I've run Opis (looked at the minimap), /chunkloader, profiled the process, and nothing stands out. I mean, should I just put more RAM into it or something?

Specs:
RAM: 32GB DDR3
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.00GHZ <-----Had this before, no difference)
Intel Core i7-4820K @ 3.70GHz (current)
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 <------- (am getting this tomorrow)

Process java has a nice value of -19 as well.
Startup Script:

Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx12000M -Xms8000M -Xmn1024M -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar minecraft_server.1.6.4.jar

If anyone can help me determine the cause of this, this would be great. It's not the world, as I've reset it and it still happens.

Link to screenshot of TPS at 7-8 players...

http://laserhosting.us/screenie.png

oppositeZERO

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I forgot to mention before, if you haven't pre generated your map, any generating of new chunks especially if players are flying around at a decent speed will cause considerable lag.

Looking at the opis dumps, your worst mods are Extra Utils and AE

The AE one can be solved pretty easy, you have a controller using far to much of the server tick, infact I've never seen a block use so much, it's at -11808, 85, -738, and you also have a few other AE blocks using a fair bit of the server tick here: -11785, 81, 8691 | 10015, 59, 876 | 10015, 59, 880 I'd try breaking them for a bit to see how things go, although they're probably using so much due to heavy usage, so I'd request the owner stop what they're doing.

Judging by those coordinates I'd say you haven't pre generated the map, which is honestly a must with a server.

As for the Extra Utils portion, there doesn't appear to be one specific block doing all the damage, but around 60+ Extractors all using a considerable amount, all around this location: -11781,75,8699 I'd try and remove pretty much all of these temporarily.

Another block although it's not causing significant harm for you, is Arcane Lamps, they places invisible blocks called Glimmers of Light around, having heaps of these can be quite bad. Removing all arcane lamps would be beneficial for you but not entirely necessary.

As a summary, I'd try temporarily removing the blocks I've mentioned, Try generating your map if you haven't done so, and place a limit on chunkloaders not allowing chunks to be loaded while a player is offline (This is a big one) try disabling all railcraft anchors and using on chicken chunks, configuring a limit for players and not allowing them to be loaded whilst offline. This is the only real way to keep a lot of lag under control.

Throwing more hardware to a server once it reaches a point is useless, you just have to keep things under control. I have strict limits accross my servers as to how much of the server tick players can consume, at 1000us per chunks and 25000us per base, which is around 2% and 5% of the total server tick, although exceeding around 10000us with tile entity's will cause a server to start losing tps. (Your total was around 12500)

edit: There was a bug a while ago with DIM-100/Deep Dark or whatever it's called, where if you placed a chunkloader of any description such as a quarry etc it would cause significant lag.

laserball31

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I actually have generated my map. I'll check this location. Is there any way to restrict the us usage per chunk?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Specs:
RAM: 32GB DDR3
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.00GHZ <-----Had this before, no difference)
Intel Core i7-4820K @ 3.70GHz (current)
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 <------- (am getting this tomorrow)

Do not change your processor. Both the processor you had previously and the one you are changing to tomorrow have a lot of cores but lower clockspeeds per core. This is not ideal for Minecraft, and modded servers in particular. Minecraft can only use 1 core most of the time so you want the fastest cores available and the 4820K is an excellent chip for that purpose. Because its unlocked, I would suggest overclocking it if you are willing to accept the small risk and have enough cooling.