Keybounce's Overly Cluttered D... Den?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
** Update Aug 2018
Currently active:
  • Captive Minecraft 4: Winter Realm, Solo play, sometimes with commentary
  • Captive Minecraft 1, group play, disorganized play styles, basically delayed for one player in Med School
  • Corona Trials, CTM map, different group, still disorganized but perhaps we can improve

Filming done, needs editing:
  • Captive Minecraft 1 (about 6+ hours to edit)

Filming to be done
  • Realistic Fluids Fork dev streams and testing (NB: Needs coding to go active again)
  • Mystcraft update (the 0.13 series changes to the mod for 1.11.2)

Long-term hold:
  • Main world, currently 1.4.7, needs updating to 1.7.10
  • Overkill Slidecraft series 2: Pawns Against The Lich King (147 Mystcraft worldhopping machinema -- no, it will not update past 147, it needs mod mechanics from that version)
  • A look at RTG worldgen, and comparison to vanilla (May be canceled -- too much of a moving target)
Currently dead:
  • Dragon Realm, Reika's dev server with custom recipes.
    • will restart fresh next time Reika runs a dev server.
Captive Minecraft 4: Winter Realm, is a vanilla-style, low difficulty version of Captive Minecraft. Or, since it is now using the new combat system, and I am doing horrible at it, it is using the very difficult new vanilla combat mechanics where even one skeleton plus one spider killed me in testing.

As Kefke calls the series: Overhyped Caverns of Doom.
As I call this map: Vertical Vanilla Viewing.

And resume! Episode 10

Three monuments! Two achievements! One Ocelot! And Zero kitty cats so far!

Watch on YouTube

Captive Minecraft 1: The first of these maps does not have a room of monuments, and has you starting at normal vanilla height over normal vanilla land -- so getting down to bedrock and lighting things up is pretty fast. But getting up to two special floating islands is a little more difficult. Don't try to dig a tunnel down where the floating islands are, or your sunlight isn't there :). (That was episode 1 for us).

Since there's 5 of us, this is Overly Crowded Dis-coordination (Disco-ordination? Dis-Co-Ordination? Discord-nation?)
Episode 5: Are we placing torches, people?
I'm sorry, but an area with blocklight of zero? Fully dark?

Watch on YouTube

Corona Trials is a CTM map. It is designed for one person, so we're playing it with three. This means we don't have enough supplies to go around, and naturally, we split the party.

Watch on YouTube

** Update, Jan 2016
Reika has opened a dev/testing server (whitelist/invite only), for testing all his mods, and their interactions with many common mods.

So lets see what I can do with this.
Much delayed, but here is episode 13 from the (previous) dev server. I even talk about the change in the dev sever coming up.

KmOcd-Reika 13: Queenie, Opal, Barf, Mappings -- An acapella music video about the Moonworm Queen, a look at the colors of Opal (a building block that has a different color at different locations), the "Rainbow Barf" biome, and the mappings of "which color in ChromatiCraft does what".

Watch on YouTube

** Update, Nov 2015
Rotarycraft has a number of things for working with water, including HydroKinetic Engines that provide power from water flowing down from source blocks. It assumes vanilla water mechanics.

Realistic Fluids Overhaul is a mod that gives finite, flowing water. Source blocks will turn into flowing, and will flow down.

Rotarycraft has pumps. Pumps can toss water back up to a holding tank.

Can all of these be combined together to make a working hydro engine?

Part 1 -- Watch on YouTube

Part 2 -- This weekend -- my second, better attempt to merge these together (Just local recording/editing):
(Short summary: Closer, closer, closer, "not that close" (daffy duck voice)
Watch on YouTube

(all older information has been removed from this post. Too much media, and the forum complains.)

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Here be found links and videos for streamers/recorders of play on the not yet released, alpha packs.

Please note: These are "Alpha" for a reason. Alpha one went through 4 revisions in a week (so far), and alpha two through three in 2? 3? days.

Here, for example, I am spawning on the Alpha 1 server, version 4 of the modpack. Watch me struggle with unfamiliar terrain, a massive hill, and a base without a clear line of access.

Click to watch on YouTube

AcuQ4cj.gif

*bookmarked* maybe a nice idea to turn this topic into the main topic for videos/streams for the alpha pack?
I know jaded, slow and stray have streamed this pack, maybe others have done that aswell

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I just checked your YouTube. Nothing more recent than 4 months ago.

... OK, a "Livestrem" link. Ahh, it's Twitch. I've had issues with twitch since their recent redesign.

Ok, I figure I'm doing something wrong. On the right, the list of videos has two in the last two days, both about 30 minutes -- but when I select one, it says 3 hours, and shows me a still image with nothing going on.

And, there are tools for downloading videos from YouTube, to watch locally (vlc can play back at 130%); twitch has no tools that I know of to download.

So, how do I use twitch to play a 30 minute recording, and not just get a still image that seems to be 3 or 4 hours?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Wait for it to load? I never have had a problem rewatching my livestreams. They are not very informative, and as Youtube I have less time to record edit and upload than I do stream live

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
And after a little trouble with my editor's exporting last night, here is yesterday's first session on Alpha Pack 3.

NB: This makes "UHS" look easy. "Overly Competent Deaths" is my name for this modpack series. "Death and Starvation come to multiplayer" is how one tester described it.

Watch on YouTube

(For some reason, I'm not able to add a media tag for this ... odd?)

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Two more videos for Alpha pack 3.

Episode 2 -- I thought I had posted here already -- is a fairly technical initial look at memory usage and settings for the modpack. It turns out that with a few changes to the launch configs, this pack runs with much less memory.

"Tinkering with memory flags"
Watch on YouTube

Episode 3 is the newest, and actually last video of it as "Alpha pack 3" -- it is now in public beta. "Fun" starts at 40 seconds. Watch to the end, and I'll tell you which pack it is.

"The nether is safer"
Watch on YouTube

The end of this video goes into great detail on the memory usage, and how the usage climbs up. While my gameplay isn't spectacular -- I have, I think, two deaths on camera (one starving, one fighting) -- the bigger question I was looking at was how much memory gets used after significant play with default memory settings, versus how much is needed.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, it's now time for the videos for Magic Farm (aka "Alpha 3"), now that magic farm is released.

The goal here is to measure performance for a single player setup, and to try to figure out what it takes to support this modpack in a 1 GB environment with relatively low CPU power (I'm trying to keep it to only using two cores). The specific goal here is to support win32 systems (windows XP, etc) -- which are likely to be using older CPU's anyways.

===

Episode 0: The intro: No gameplay, just a discussion of what I'm doing. Quick summary: Lets find a village, and use that as an "easy" start.
Watch on YouTube

Episode 1: Initial game play. Well, I find a village ... Has a quality issue: mouse pointer doesn't match the graphics (tool tips, etc) in inventories and crafting grids (recorder messed up the mouse position timings).
Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I know it's the holidays, but 10 days per update? I will be faster.

Meanwhile, episode 2 has two major garbage collection disasters, and I have a hypothesis to check out.

Watch on YouTube

The "fun" (*) begins at 14:25. I had been trying to understand the recipes for hunger overhaul / pam's harvest craft / etc, and ... the game is not paused when you are looking up recipes. You know, editing a sign, or a book, or in the main menus, the game is really paused?

Hypothesis: A garbage collection disaster can be triggered by being in a single spot for a long period of time.

Projected corollaries: If there is a cave system nearby, then monsters that spawn near you in the cave will stay around, monsters not near you in the cave will go bye-bye, and eventually everyone is in the cave. This means that if you have a cave nearby, and are out during the day, the night is safe; if the night is harmful, then there is no nearby cave.

Equally, since moving around flushes chunks, and triggers occasional major collections, and standing still does not flush chunks, and does not cycle memory enough to trigger the major collections, it seems that when the monsters do reach you at night, and trigger a death scene, this is what causes the major collection, and the behavior -- cycling mobs without trigger a full collection -- somehow makes the heap "worse" in some way that does trigger the large full collections.

NB: Sound is slightly worse than normal in this episode. Video quality: most of this episode was recorded with a "standby" recorder -- my main recorder does very good quality, at 10 GB/hour; this one only uses about 1-2 GB/hour, and I can leave it up in case something good happens. And something good did happen.

(*): Dwarven fun.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Odd, I thought I had listed episode 3 in this thread already.

The hypothesis to test this time is that a long garbage collection can be forced by staying in one place for a few minecraft days, just letting mobs cycle underground without loading/unloading chunks.

While it turns out that standing still is oddly harder on the game, the test is a failure, something that I didn't notice until too late in the test. Still, there's some combat for your enjoyment.

Most of the episode is spent looking over various mushroom dominated recipes; there are some oddities found, including that bacon mushroom cheeseburgers don't give a well-fed bonus.

Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 4 is LONG; and broken into two parts.
Part a is the "interesting" part, that I suspect will be fun for many people. I look at the behavior of eerie biomes spreading out from the obsidian tiles, and badly constructed village huts; then go into combat. During a reprieve in the fighting, I look at the idea of using a waypoint beacon, and distance from the beacon, and apparent intersection with the sun, to determine actual game time just like an old time sailor would. There is about 40 minutes cut out inbetween the starting look around, and the combats.

Part b is that missing 40 minutes, cut down to about 25. This is significantly less interesting unless you are a dev, or tester, or interested in the details of why the client behaves the way it does in part 1 -- several odd/strange behaviors of Gravestone and CofhWorld, along with an outright bug, are caught on camera.

Part a: Watch on YouTube

Part b: Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 5. At this point, I am now using CMS collection. I kinda figured I would wind up with this, because I had all the stuttering with the throughput (parallel) collector. I did want to make sure, to make sure that I gave the default collector its best chance.

This is a creative mode game: taint fighting. The idea is simple: In magic farm, tainted land biomes do not spread without limit. So it is possible to remove all the fibrous taint blocks, all the tainted soil, etc., and be left with a safe, purple grass landscape.

Here is an attempt to do so. It is not successful. This is "entry level" play -- about as well as the first time I tried this.

(I actually do know how to do this, safely and completely, in creative; once I can actually, you know, _survive_ in this puppy, I'll try it in real survival.)

Watch on YouTube

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 6.

Today, I look at a friend's success at Magic Farm 2, version 1.1.8. With the berry fences, and easy fruit trees.

And ... WOW. I was expecting the client setup to be the least memory consuming. I was not expecting such a large amount of memory used, nor the apparent memory leak.

This is the first of what I expect will be 4 episodes -- focusing on the outside farm area. Next up: the home tree and mine shaft. Err, his shaft. I mean, his hole ... oh, never mind.

Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 7.
Part 2 of my friend's server tour -- looking at his tree house and mineshaft.

We play around with Sync and Morph (the only two additions to magic farm), and spend time around a bunch of AE machines. There's a look at a squid pool and a rancher, some oreberry bushes behind a blackout curtain, etc.

Going over the garbage collection logs, I am 80% certain that there is a memory leak in the rendering of either the ME controller or the ME drive in the AE mod. Evidence includes, while AFK and a full garbage collection happens, massive amounts of "temporaries" accumulate while looking at these machines, doing nothing, and the "temporaries" never go away.

Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 8 and 9 -- finishing the 1.1.8 server tour -- will be coming.

After that, a new world was made for 2.1.

Episodes 10 and 11 -- my first day on the 2.1.2 server -- will be coming. (10 needs an editing/uploading error corrected; not sure what happened to 11.) During the filming of episode 11, a large memory leak was found, and it was thought to be Pam's Harvestcraft.

Today, I get confirmation: Pam's Harvestcraft is NOT leaking, but something else is. There is a significant leak, in something, and you see some of it in this first part (you'll see it much, much larger in the second part, still in editing)

Also, you will see the derpiest possible death: failing to hit "sneak" because I had remapped it to a new key.

Verification of no leak in Pam's Harvestcraft

Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So what happened to Magic Farm performance testing?

Simple: I was never able to get any sort of repeatable problems.
What I thought was rendering on some blocks in view turned out to be something else entirely -- apparently, blocks that are very, very distant, but still in the field of view, can get called to render even if completely blocked, and there were other mods that put stuff in the ocean with known render leaks.

While I never did learn enough about Thaumcraft to make harvesting golems, nor MFR to make harvesters/spawners/item factories, I was only ever able to get "bad things" happen while flying around in creative, or one-offs while in survival.

Other than some very basic stuff -- CMS collection instead of throughput, cut the tenuring threshold down from 15 to 4 (that number is a tunable; somewhere in 3-5 is a good value and it is not always constant), and dropping survivor ratio from 8 (?) to 3 (makes survivor spaces bigger -- reduces unwanted tenuring), there was very little else that could be done, or needed to be done, with garbage collection, nor could I find any definite issues with memory beyond "normal" leaks from rendering or dimensional changes.

If anyone is interested in more videos from these worlds, let me know. I do have more footage.