Keeping up with lava demand?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
I've found pumping lava from tesseracts or ender tanks into a large iron tank seems to be fairly slow, and I was wondering if there was a speed limit to how fast an iron tank can fill. I currently have quite a few magmatic engines hooked up to 3 9x9x8 iron tanks, as well as 32 thermal generators. Should I just connect some tesseracts or ender tanks directly to the generators? I wasn't sure if it would be faster or more efficient, but each morning I come back after running something energy intensive (such as trying to get UU matter for hybrid solar panels) the tanks have run dry, although power still seems to be running so the generators are at least getting some lava.

Also, I'm still uncertain on if I should be using tesseracts or ender tanks. Tesseracts are easier to configure but I'm uncertain which one can move lava faster. Thermal generation is probably going to remain my bases primary source of power until we can make solar panels and eventually upgrade to ultimate hybrid solar panels. Nuclear reactors seem to be a fluke, since they burn through 4 quad uranium cells in a matter of minutes.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
An Iron Tank can fill as fast as you have valves on it.
Each valve allows about 720 millibuckets in per tick.
Actually, I think that's Xy Valves.
Actually, I think I'm wrong on both sides.
But I know it's more than 500 millibuckets per tick per valve.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseracts when connected directly to a pump can move atleast 1 bucket per tick (max speed of bc pump). However, getting liquid out of a tank usually is a chore ^^* Liquiducts can extract something like 160 mb per powered connection or so ^^* As for endertanks,,, Those things are a tad slower but have the advantage of having a lil bit of extra storage (not to mention, they look awesome). But for best result, connect your tesseract directly to your line of reactors with liquiducts, should be able to keep up... Ofcourse, you won't get any buffer that way but,,, I suppose you could add more valve's to your tanks? Tesseract connected directly to a valve should be able to dump a tremendous amount of liquid into it, atleast Xycraft one's do.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
An Iron Tank can fill as fast as you have valves on it.
Each valve allows about 720 millibuckets in per tick.
Actually, I think that's Xy Valves.
Actually, I think I'm wrong on both sides.
But I know it's more than 500 millibuckets per tick per valve.
So say I had the same ender tank hooked up to 3 lava pumps in the nether, with 4 valves going into each tank. Does that mean I can pump even more out of that same ender tank?[DOUBLEPOST=1369686762][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tesseracts when connected directly to a pump can move atleast 1 bucket per tick (max speed of bc pump). However, getting liquid out of a tank usually is a chore ^^* Liquiducts can extract something like 160 mb per powered connection or so ^^* As for endertanks,,, Those things are a tad slower but have the advantage of having a lil bit of extra storage (not to mention, they look awesome). But for best result, connect your tesseract directly to your line of reactors with liquiducts, should be able to keep up... Ofcourse, you won't get any buffer that way but,,, I suppose you could add more valve's to your tanks? Tesseract connected directly to a valve should be able to dump a tremendous amount of liquid into it, atleast Xycraft one's do.
I'll try that after I get this update sorted out. Didn't realize FTB updated, yet kept the same version number. Can no longer connect to my FTB server.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
So say I had the same ender tank hooked up to 3 lava pumps in the nether, with 4 valves going into each tank. Does that mean I can pump even more out of that same ender tank?
Problem with EnderTanks are that they have limited output compared to a Tesseract, but if you hooked up just one endertank on the nether side and 3 on the generator side you should have 3 times the output. Pumps that are fully powered give a very large amount of fluids and they can dump it into both tesseracts and endertanks directly.

minusthedrifter

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Tanks are all that I use. I have two version both hooked up to a single Advanced Pump in the nether and they are able to power 51 Magmatic Engines, 6 Thermal Generators and 2 Industrial Centrifuges.

Of course I have multiple output tanks, one for the centrifuges, one for the thermals, one for five magmatics, another for four magmatics, another for six magmatics powering the pump and four for my main power plant of 36 magmatics.

I don't even tank my lava either, just pump directly from it. Even my main power plant, which is left on all the time, doesn't have an issue. Last night was the first time in a month since setting this up I lost power, but that was because my pump finally drained the nether lake it was on.

minusthedrifter

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, all you people draining the nether, just make infinite lava loops! :D

Well since I'm running fully on MJ could do that quite easily, but then I have to use MJ to get MJ. Sure its not a big loss when you're working large scale but when I have a world of lava at my finger tips why bother :p

A server mate living just across a lake from me does this and tanks it but I just don't have the desire to add that process myself. I'd rather just move a pump every once in a while.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
Attaching tesseracts directly to my thermal generators seems to balance everything out. I think everything going iron tanks was just killing it. Thanks for the advice.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, all you people draining the nether, just make infinite lava loops! :D
Is this possible with cobble? We have way too much cobble, somewhere around 400 thousand. Been trying to turn a lot of it to glass, but still have way too much.

Jul 29, 2019
Off the top of my head, if you quarry the nether (pretty easy btw) you will get a tonne of netherrack, burn this in a magma cruicible and you will get more lava than the cost in mj to burn the netherrack. Following me so far? Now, with the newly quarried nether (i advise at least a 500x500 area) you make a pigman farm. These drop gold nuggets and gold armour/tools. Transmute these into iron ingots with minium stone (yes there is a way to automate minium shard collection) and those iron ingots into obsidian, then burn the obsidian in a magma crucible and you get 1 bucket of lava! I personally dont use this as i avoid EE like the plauge due to having an obsession with it previously.
I wont tell you my method however, though i may have a screenshot of it somewhere.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
Off the top of my head, if you quarry the nether (pretty easy btw) you will get a tonne of netherrack, burn this in a magma cruicible and you will get more lava than the cost in mj to burn the netherrack. Following me so far? Now, with the newly quarried nether (i advise at least a 500x500 area) you make a pigman farm. These drop gold nuggets and gold armour/tools. Transmute these into iron ingots with minium stone (yes there is a way to automate minium shard collection) and those iron ingots into obsidian, then burn the obsidian in a magma crucible and you get 1 bucket of lava! I personally dont use this as i avoid EE like the plauge due to having an obsession with it previously.
I wont tell you my method however, though i may have a screenshot of it somewhere.
Why would you make a nether farm when soul cages exist?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
awfullavahotwatermeme.png

(Aha, I can post images now! Screw you imgur!)
Yes, I had to.
Avoiding pipes will help with making sure you don't bottleneck your system. Ender tanks get the bottleneck effect aswell unless you put about 10 of them in a row and pull from each one to speed up the process.
Tesseracts have a bottleneck too but it's 100mb/t I believe, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to shove oceans of lava through at a time.

Reactions: xSINZx

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Tip.
Don't try mass slaughtering pigment in a hole with a zephyr sword.
You will kill yourself.
Somehow.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 pack!
Two Pumps in the Nether on an Airship keeps the Main Tank full. Only Nine Magmatic engines charging my RedStone cubes though.
<--- Steers Clear of Greg. (Apparently It's Hard) :)
PS: I wanna "Like" Zoidberg again, but it won't let me!:(

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
i had one liquiduct coming out of an iron tank supplying 88 thermal generators with lava, supplied by one advanced pump and one iron tank valve. i think it was something like 1.25 lava per second consumed. if youre exceeding that kind of output, then scale up based on those numbers. Also, I was using ender tanks and liquiducts for transport from nether/into tank, so the tesseract could be faster.