Keeping up with lava demand?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yea, if you find your output is throttled with endertanks, build more output endertanks, since each one will draw independently. Gets a bit pricey, but if you've already got an EnderFarm or EE for the pearls and a blaze farm for the rods, you should be good to go.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, if you find your output is throttled with endertanks, build more output endertanks, since each one will draw independently. Gets a bit pricey, but if you've already got an EnderFarm or EE for the pearls and a blaze farm for the rods, you should be good to go.
I just use an iron farm to craft pearls, and have a stockpile of blaze rods from my friend's blaze farm

One thing I am trying to figure out is this infinite lava generation from nether rack
v4XJOKc.png

4 Magmatic engines don't seem to keep up with the MJ demand that it takes, and even at that, 1 crucible in this setup creates a sliver of lava every 30 seconds. I'd hardly call this a viable solution for lava, unless you want to waste a ton of resources and take up a 100 block radius to replace what nether pumps do. I'd hardly call 400 engines plus 40 buildcraft machines running less of a strain on a server than one advanced pump in the nether.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
One thing you're gonna love about 1.5 with that setup John is you can use a single vanilla buffer to replace everything you have between that magma crucible and barrel.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
One thing you're gonna love about 1.5 with that setup John is you can use a single vanilla buffer to replace everything you have between that magma crucible and barrel.
Not really what's the problem here. Just something quick I hooked up to give it items when it needed it. Not even sure if barrels can interact with vanilla hoppers.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The whole netherrack -> lava thing came about before gregtech advanced pumps and has been nerfed quite a bit since it originally came out. While it is still technically energy positive it isn't as effective for power generation as it was before. As it is now it's more so you can burn netherrack into lava for centrifuging when you have an energy surplus, or for keeping a magmatic engine busy.

I just tested the vanilla hoppers with barrels and it does work and they are more than enough to keep up with a single magma crucible, you just have to be careful not to have redstone signals around them or they shut off.

Edit: For perspective, the crucible used to turn netherrack into a bucket of lava for only 4000 MJ, while in the 1.5.2 beta (and probably the 1.4.7 packs) they take 12,000 MJ per bucket, while a magmatic engine produces 18,000 MJ per bucket. So it went from a net gain of 14,000 MJ to 6,000 MJ over the course of its implementation.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
The whole netherrack -> lava thing came about before gregtech advanced pumps and has been nerfed quite a bit since it originally came out. While it is still technically energy positive it isn't as effective for power generation as it was before. As it is now it's more so you can burn netherrack into lava for centrifuging when you have an energy surplus, or for keeping a magmatic engine busy.

I just tested the vanilla hoppers with barrels and it does work and they are more than enough to keep up with a single magma crucible, you just have to be careful not to have redstone signals around them or they shut off.
With the amount of energy you waste in this process, it just seems like a better idea to turn rack into scrap.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
It would really depend on what your end goal was, but yea scrap would probably be a better idea at this point in time, unless you needed any of the mats lava centrifuges into.