JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
So both min and max memory settings in multiMC settings set to 2048?

Yup. Setting them both equal results in always having that memory claimed by java and reduces CPU load by a little bit because the JVM no longer needs to dynamically size the Heap if it needs more.

Reactions: reddvilzz

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
So, I started putting the server optimizations into all of my servers, and I'm starting with my resonant rise server. It crashes upon startup.

I'm using this: -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -Xmn512m -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=31 -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=400 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:permSize=1024m -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=2048m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:CompileThreshold=1000 -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

It closes itself too fast for me to write it down and get a detailed log, but this is what I saw after starting it 40 times:

"-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -Xmn512m -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=31 -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=400 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:permSize=1024m -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=2048m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:CompileThreshold=1000 -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

I have 8GB of RAM and the mod list is the default mod list for resonant rise.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I will NEVER recommend an early release build for java. I've said this more than a few times in various threads. They lack proper security patches. If you use one, you do so at your own risk.

Also, vanilla Minecraft hasn't even been updated to utilize Java 8 yet. It might "work" for some users, but due to the lack of official release, any issues that are occurring could likely be happening due to Java.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Also, vanilla Minecraft hasn't even been updated to utilize Java 8 yet. It might "work" for some users, but due to the lack of official release, any issues that are occurring could likely be happening due to Java.

FTB doesn't either. Maybe another one to add to your list about we don't support it. downgrade if problems etc.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019

I have a build of Java 8 on my Linux machine, and I cannot load FTB at all if I use it. It fails to even start the JVM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
I got perm gen crashed error in ftb launcher. Before i put the permsize arguments and now o remove it i got that problem.

Does it really because i don't have the permsize and the max permsize arguments?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I got perm gen crashed error in ftb launcher. Before i put the permsize arguments and now o remove it i got that problem.

Does it really because i don't have the permsize and the max permsize arguments?

Unfortunately, the ftb launcher already passes a permsize of 128m. If you are running out of permgen with the ftb launcher, try using multimc.

Reactions: reddvilzz

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
FTB doesn't either. Maybe another one to add to your list about we don't support it. downgrade if problems etc.
It's already covered ;)
I have a build of Java 8 on my Linux machine, and I cannot load FTB at all if I use it. It fails to even start the JVM.

Maybe that's because it's not a supported environment presently.

MegaRaja54321

Jul 29, 2019
I am sorry for the noob question but do I just copy and paste that whole thing (for ftblauncher) in the JVM arguments or do I have to make some changes

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe that's because it's not a supported environment presently.

I am aware of that. I posted because someone suggested using 8, and so I figured people would like to have some idea of whether or not it runs.

Which, it doesn't.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I am aware of that. I posted because someone suggested using 8, and so I figured people would like to have some idea of whether or not it runs.

Which, it doesn't.

On the help desk I have had a total of ~40 users report using Java 8. Roughly half have had a working environment. The other half have not.
It does work, sometimes, with some mods. Just not all yet.

Kajin Style

Jul 29, 2019
Spectacular work Eyamaz! Really truly, amazing. I had some bad stuttering issues with my machine and I was running both the ftb server and client on my machine. Yet these optimization tweaks really did the trick. Now here's my machine for those who don't know:

-16 gig of RAM
-Quad core processor
-GTX 670
-FiOS internet

These optimizations worked so well that not only did my minecraft server and client load faster but the ping to my own server had been lowered. Maybe that last one was a fluke, but wow. The dramatic improvement is utterly amazing. Far better than what I had before. If this ain't a stick it needs to be one.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
so should the xms/xmx sizes stay at the amounts even on servers with more RAM? (say for example a server with 8gb ram, setting xms/xmx to 5g instead of 2, would it make a difference)