Just wondering-- pnp D&D?

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
I am very proud to say I was raised in a gaming household, making some of my earliest memories sitting in my father's lap, rolling (actually throwing) dice, and killing adventurers. I could calculate THAC0 by the time I was four.

*sigh* I miss playing, but I just don't have a group to kill... er, I mean, GM for any longer.

D

Deleted member 188

Well go out and look, certainly there are tons of people out there looking for an experience GM in this world! Have you considered running something online given all the virtual table tops that have been springing up in the past year-ish if you can't find real meat bodies to sit at a table?

(Hey my miniatures still aren't painted...)

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
I have looked locally, but haven't found anyone I approve of. I've considered an online solution, but always get distracted with Minecraft for some reason...

Reactions: SunVenus

SunVenus

Jul 29, 2019
I did give 3rd edition a try once, and thought the D20 system was nice but still missed the days of THACO, unpainted miniatures, and the sunrises lighting the way back to bed.

I miss the pre 3e stuff too. :) And the long, sleepless gaming sessions. My old gaming group and I tried to do a weekend marathon once, but we were all in our 20s & 30s then and by 2:00am Friday night/Saturday morning, one had fallen asleep, and the rest of us were too groggy to go on. :( Having kids & careers kills marathon gaming but we all agreed we'd still be rolling polyhedrals togther in a retirement home some day.

SunVenus

Jul 29, 2019
I have looked locally, but haven't found anyone I approve of. I've considered an online solution, but always get distracted with Minecraft for some reason...

Totally get ya there. It has taken me 11 years to get a new gaming group together after my big move across the Pacific. It was frustrating at times, but persistence paid off... just in time for me to start planning my next move to Izmir, where I'll have to find/build a new gaming group. :/ I hope you can find a group for yourself although I well know the addictive power of Minecraft! The siren-song of blocks...

D

Deleted member 188

Well then use minecraft to set up the dungeons and have the players go through it like that. Combine with voice chat and some kind of dice rolling system and it could work. I've often considered converting all the old dungeon maps I've got sitting around into something for Minecraft.

Gewitters

Jul 29, 2019
Well then use minecraft to set up the dungeons and have the players go through it like that. Combine with voice chat and some kind of dice rolling system and it could work. I've often considered converting all the old dungeon maps I've got sitting around into something for Minecraft.
I have thought of this as well. I kinda relate the adventure maps to this as well. A good design with some really good lore could easily turn into a fun campaign if done properly and the players stick to the principles of the game.

D

Deleted member 188

Yep! Hard to dress up the dungeons without like...stuff to put in them though. Microblocks and machines help a lot. :)

vlademir1

Jul 29, 2019
Heh. I still have my 1E AD&D books, well the ones I ever used and 4E Champions/Hero System. I still like a proper RPG or even board game when I can, but getting a group together has been neigh impossible since high school. Plenty of interested parties, not enough time when everyone can get together between kids, work, etc. I still even dabble in homebrew systems which I can't manage to get playtested for the lack of group.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
I play in two groups. The first group uses the original rulebooks (as handed down by the prophets Arneson and Gygax) and have played the same campaign world since the 70's (before my time). In that group you will find dice with no paint, maps with errors, characters on 3x5 cards, and pennies glued to the bottom of unpainted minis to make them stand up straight. We play 3-5 characters per player since they have a tendency to die early and often. My first gaming session I lost all five because I stood too close to a high-level magic user who fumbled a Fireball.

I also play in a 3.5 group. It is a completely different (but no less awesome) play style. One character per player, with more character advancement than story arcs. There we focus more on group tactics in dungeons than political games.

agriggsdude

Jul 29, 2019
ive just started playing dnd and i would like to play with other people does anyone have a teamspeak server or something that we could use to do dnd

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
http://roll20.net is a decent, browser based virtual tabletop you can use to play most tabletop games. My Pathfinder group uses it, and while it has its problems sometimes, it's pretty convenient. It has built-in voice and video through Tokbox, but that tends to bug out. Most people use a third-party voice chat, like TeamSpeak or Mumble. You could always just snag a temporary channel in the FTB TS and use that for your group, if you wanted :p

Vaupell

Jul 29, 2019
As the title states, I am just wondering how many people who are playing Minecraft are old school gamers from the pnp days? I realise this dates me, but I'm not afraid to show it (show it, show it...) I'm geeky and I know it!

Seriously: did anyone else play pnp D&D or any of the other classics like Top Secret, Call of Cthulu, et al? I stared playing pnp D&D back in the old boxed set days... you know, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I still play now with my cadre of geek-alike friends (a houseblend of AD&D 2e & 3e with some elements of 1e for the nostalgia). Apparently there is a "gamer geek gene"-- my son is also a pnp D&D gamer. I'm so proud. :-D

So let your geek flag fly & chime in!

PnP DnD + ADnD gamer here from the mid80's up through the 90's
One of my first was playing in "Forgotten realms" ;)

Anyway our server actually started with the plan off it being a tabletop for DnD games.

But that was 2 years ago :p but now with adventure mode it seems more likely to happen again
DM/Mapbuilder and players in adv-mode, duel monitor setup with smartboard sharing for dice rolls and notes. ;)
Yes Minecraft is def. a possible way to play DnD again via. the web and get a good experience.

Odenite

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played much DnD but I do own every Rifts book and play with my 3 daughters (my other 2 are still to young) every weekend. Right now one of them is a dragon hatchling, one is a d-bee piloting a flying power armor, and one is a grackletooth wilderness ranger and they are searching for a psychics missing sister who went missing and is believed to have eloped with a solder who went AWOL and they could both be being hunted by the military the guy ran away from.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Wow talk about nostalgia and memories! This reminds me of my middle school days when me and my friends used to sit on the floor in the corner of the classroom whenever we had a substitute for our French teacher (often). We had an excelent DM, a hardcore geek who was an expert at D&D. He had the character sheet setup for us, the dices, everything. That's when we were 12, now a-days he's a 27 year old drug dealer and I keep people like him from the streets, life sure takes turns.

Anyone here ever played cRPG D&D games like Baldur's Gate series, IWD, NWN, etc...?

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I've been GM since the late 80ies, not only with AD&D 2nd Edition but all other D&D till 3.5, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, WoD, Ars Magica, Chtulu, Dark Eye (Schwarze Auge), and for PC games i started with The Bards Tale and Pool of Radiance *getting nostalgic*

Perhaps you know "TheGamers" :)

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played D&D in ages, lately though been playing a lot of nWoD online, because well oWoD sucks.* ;) Theirs a place here to play, in my city, checked it out but... it wasn't really what I was looking for. They wouldn't even allow any drinks/snacks!

*You can find them, in an online form either forum play or my favorite MUDs/MUSHs. http://www.mudstats.com has them listed