Just started an FTB: Infinity Evolved expert mode playthrough. Any tips?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheMagikarpGuy

Jul 29, 2019
So, I started playing this pack a couple of days ago, and I am enjoying it a whole lot. The "hard" recipes are really cool (a bit too much IC2 crafting but w/e), because there is not a whole lot of reasons to rush things and it's great to feel like I can take my time. Currently, I managed to get 4 coke ovens & blast furnaces going, I made a tool forge, I have some earlygame power gen up (450 RF/t from 6 water wheels), and I'm planning to get some magic going, but it's obvious that I am only at the start.

Do you guys have some tips to give to me? For example, what are some mods that it's worth it to dig into? What are some general tips and tricks to make my gameplay fun, and what grinds is it worth it to make (e.g. are bees worth it)?

Thanks for the answers, if I ever get some.

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Bees can be worth it, but the grind is significantly long. Instead of aiming for an alveary to start with the genetics mod, push through magic bees and get some magic apiaries. They can be confusing to use (don't have as much debug info as apiaries), but when filled with frames and boosted via the mod's thaumcraft / botania methods, can pump out impressive amounts of combs. 2 - 3 running constantly with industrial and imperials can get you enough resources to make your first alveary in under an hour. I've done it the normal way, with 12 hives for each, and trust me, the magic apiaries are the way to go.

Some species to aim for
-diamond
-emerald
-redstone
-lapis
-radioactive (having lots of uranium on hand is very helpful)
-the magic bees with the effects empowering and magnification. (not too hard to get, just let it auto cycle for a while on a node in a jar and you won't need to worry about making a large thaumcraft energized node.)

Don't skimp on ic2 power with immersive engineering cables. You'll need it for a while early game, but make sure to create a dedicated ic2 power gen. In addition, make sure you get a solar distillery plant running early for overclockers. Otherwise, the 8 to 1 ratio of lapis can eat up your resources and power later.

If you don't know how to use logistics pipes, learn it. Set it up early (yay laser grind!), and aim to auto craft ic2 parts. This will save you a lot of headache later.

Make around 16 certus crystal seeds and throw them in some water now. You will thank me later.

Don't bee (lol) afraid to use forestry farms early. They are quite cheap, and not very difficult to automate. This is also a really good investment early game, as they can farm agricraft crops.

You will want quite a few ic2 reactors (remember, logistics pipes autocraft is your friend), somewhere around 3 - 5. If you get a good design, not only does this provide extra power (remember, dedicate it to ic2, not anything rf.), you will have plenty of rtg for your first big reactor. This is where the radioactive bees come into play.

Don't overlook oil. If you manage your power system well (don't let your generators run constantly), oil can provide lasting power production when turned to fuel and used in the immersive engineering diesel gen.

If you want a large amount of ore really quickly in the mid game, push for an awakened ichorium pick. You will miss out on some ores there (why no electrotine D: ), but it can provide massive amounts of specific ore really quickly.

Culinary gens will be invaluable in the mid game for power. My recommendation: delicious meals with steves factory manager autocrafting. A max mid sized plot of an mfr autofarm with agricraft crops can supply over 2 64x gens.

The biggest tip I can give you is to try as many things as you can. You never know what options are available to automate something, even if familiar and easy ones are gated farther down the tech tree.

Most of all, enjoy it, as it is a very well designed pack that I have spent many months on, and hopefully, you will too!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMagikarpGuy

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As @Kei_Co mentioned above, Forestry Multifarm are nice automation for AgriCraft crops. Paired with a battery of Culinary Generators, this can be the basis of earlyish sustainable, renewable energy. I'm a fan of Stuffed Eggplant, as it requires no meat (or soy processing line) while providing decent power and burn time. You can upgrade to something else (many opted Beef Wellington) as your needs and stockpiles grow.

TheMagikarpGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Bees can be worth it, but the grind is significantly long. Instead of aiming for an alveary to start with the genetics mod, push through magic bees and get some magic apiaries. They can be confusing to use (don't have as much debug info as apiaries), but when filled with frames and boosted via the mod's thaumcraft / botania methods, can pump out impressive amounts of combs. 2 - 3 running constantly with industrial and imperials can get you enough resources to make your first alveary in under an hour. I've done it the normal way, with 12 hives for each, and trust me, the magic apiaries are the way to go.

Some species to aim for
-diamond
-emerald
-redstone
-lapis
-radioactive (having lots of uranium on hand is very helpful)
-the magic bees with the effects empowering and magnification. (not too hard to get, just let it auto cycle for a while on a node in a jar and you won't need to worry about making a large thaumcraft energized node.)

Don't skimp on ic2 power with immersive engineering cables. You'll need it for a while early game, but make sure to create a dedicated ic2 power gen. In addition, make sure you get a solar distillery plant running early for overclockers. Otherwise, the 8 to 1 ratio of lapis can eat up your resources and power later.

If you don't know how to use logistics pipes, learn it. Set it up early (yay laser grind!), and aim to auto craft ic2 parts. This will save you a lot of headache later.

Make around 16 certus crystal seeds and throw them in some water now. You will thank me later.

Don't bee (lol) afraid to use forestry farms early. They are quite cheap, and not very difficult to automate. This is also a really good investment early game, as they can farm agricraft crops.

You will want quite a few ic2 reactors (remember, logistics pipes autocraft is your friend), somewhere around 3 - 5. If you get a good design, not only does this provide extra power (remember, dedicate it to ic2, not anything rf.), you will have plenty of rtg for your first big reactor. This is where the radioactive bees come into play.

Don't overlook oil. If you manage your power system well (don't let your generators run constantly), oil can provide lasting power production when turned to fuel and used in the immersive engineering diesel gen.

If you want a large amount of ore really quickly in the mid game, push for an awakened ichorium pick. You will miss out on some ores there (why no electrotine D: ), but it can provide massive amounts of specific ore really quickly.

Culinary gens will be invaluable in the mid game for power. My recommendation: delicious meals with steves factory manager autocrafting. A max mid sized plot of an mfr autofarm with agricraft crops can supply over 2 64x gens.

The biggest tip I can give you is to try as many things as you can. You never know what options are available to automate something, even if familiar and easy ones are gated farther down the tech tree.

Most of all, enjoy it, as it is a very well designed pack that I have spent many months on, and hopefully, you will too!

Thanks for the tips you guys, appreciated. Learning logipipes will be interesting, I've been looking forward at doing that for a bit, and given that this pack has no AE access until I'd say mid-late game, well... guess I'll need to do so. About storage options, are drawers the only real way to go? Or is there a valid competitor?

As far as setting up solar distillers... well, I set up a steam generator + condenser to get distilled water during the prepping for a big IC2 crafting (I have noticed that IC2 recipes weren't really nerfed that much, fortunately), currently powering it with an electric heat generator and producing all the distilled water.

Thanks for the Certus Quartz tip... I'll throw a bunch (I have like 5 stacks of Certus anyways, I'll do like 3 stacks) more than 16.

The reactors... oh well, after looking at NEI, I see why I should be making a bunch of them...

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Storage Drawers are really helpful for logistics pipes, as you can shove 4 bulks into one block and connector. Otherwise, spamming diamond chests works well too.

Reactions: TheMagikarpGuy

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you connect your Logistics Pipes network to a Drawer Controller, the two sides can see and interact with each other. This allows your crafting network to access your entire set of Storage Drawers, so long as they are connected to the Controller. The same can be accomplished with AE2 by placing a Storage Bus on the Controller.