Just curious about where to start learning to code these types of things.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mobbed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a 25 year old working professional, have some spare time on my hands these days and have been wanting to learn something new. I've been playing Minecraft for a couple years now and have always been intrigued by the mods and plugins created by the average user. I don't know where to start though, but am fairly dedicated once I've decided to do something. This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but I figured it might get answered anyways.

- Mobbed

Jiggins

Jul 29, 2019
Have you any experience in writing code, in java or any other language? If not I think the best place to start learning is actually using ComputerCraft and writing various programs in Lua. Lua is a nice friendly language and once you understand the concepts, it can be applied to Java. That's how I learned Java, my friend thought me Lua through CC over the summer and I moved right into Java.

If you do have experience with Java, I would suggest the tutorials on minecraftforge.net/wiki, it's a nice place to start modding and it teaches you the very basics of the forge API.

Reactions: SuperFlorian12

13rett

Jul 29, 2019
codecademy.com is also is a nice place to start java and some other programs. I started it a little while ago and find it quite fun to learn coding with the system they set up. It has Java defaulted as the first coding language but has some others like Python and Ruby.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing you can do (if you already know how to read Java code): Take one of the open source mods, dig through their code and try to understand what they did and why. I'd recommend the IronChest mod by cpw, because it is a relatively small mod, which lets you see the basics more quickly.
Source can be downloaded at https://github.com/cpw/ironchest

Aceldamor

Jul 29, 2019
Very cool thread. I've been curious myself on how to make a mod, thanks for the info and keep it coming!