Johnleys fast and easy Server Setup Guide.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using Samba over WAN I am actually horrified and a touch curious what lead you to that instead of a proper solution to file transfer. Samba is less secure than other solutions and actually harder to setup. Stopping the use of other utilities is both pointless and detrimental.

If you are running Samba over WAN, at least tunnel it through SSH or wrap it in a VPN.

Shybella

Jul 29, 2019
Samba is a CIFS service. This for a iSCSI(Like) for mounting a partitioned file system. As for security, CERN and DOD uses Samba because of its bulletproof features. You can easily encrypt the traffic, even down to custom cryptography. No different than a SVN.

So, have the partition mounted on as if the disk was installed on your computer.

Also, Samba comes with RSA2048 bit encryption which is the US Governments standard.

Note on security: I would negate from having NFS/CIFS/iSCSI outside world accessible shares on a Windows Operating System. This has not been Samba's fault or CIFS protocol fault. It's the inconsistency of properly setting up a secure Samba share. Many Vulnerabilities related to Samba running on Windows ( Not a Linux Kernel ) have been because of flaws in the OS. This all has been addressed years ago.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Samba is a CIFS service. This for a iSCSI(Like) for mounting a partitioned file system. As for security, CERN and DOD uses Samba because of its bulletproof features. You can easily encrypt the traffic, even down to custom cryptography. No different than a SVN.

So, have the partition mounted on as if the disk was installed on your computer.

Also, Samba comes with RSA2048 bit encryption which is the US Governments standard.

You are spitting out terms and coming out wrong. I will start at the end, SVN stands for Apache Subversion, its version control software. It has nothing to do with encryption, and its not the same type of software as Samba, its quite different.

Next, I guarantee you that the Department of Defense doesn't use Samba for its important files. It didn't get end to end encryption until 3.0 which was introduced Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. If you tell me the DOD is already using both of those full scale I am shocked, goverment IT is usually slower than lukewarm mud.

This for a iSCSI(Like) for mounting a partitioned file system.

Not even going to pretend like I know what that sentence was supposed to mean. iSCSI and SMB/CIFS operate at two different levels of abstraction. SMB/CIFS is simpler and presents an external file system to other machines. iSCSI presents what the client machines see as a physical storage volume where they can do things like initialize, format, and partition directly. File vs block level.

Ignoring all that, you still haven't answered me as to what reason you have for believing it to be superior to the traditional SSH/SFTP for management and FTP/HTTP for public files.

Shybella

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the DoD's list of approved and in house standards. http://risacher.github.io/DoD-OSS-FAQ/

Cryptography and was introduced in 3.0. You are correct. 3.0 was also released over 10 years ago. 3.0 was also the first public and recommended release besides development. So, as of encryption. This has been around since Windows 2000 and was introduced in SP4. I remember this service pack and was much intended one indeed. The Samba server will be running on Linux, correct? All Windows will be doing is acknowledging the certificate.

Also, most Linux distributions come nowadays with 4.0 + installed already.

I was comparing Samba to iSCSI since my expertise with managing HP SAN's. This is how we mount file systems for the same use I'm suggesting with Samba. As for what you state, if you had a slice of intelligence you would know I'm talking about using a Initiator not partitioning logical volumes.

You firstly cannot compare this with SSH. This can be ran via a secure shell, sure. There's nothing wrong with using SFTP or FTP either. They both do the same job but Samba has the extended features for mounted shares which you cannot do with SFTP but you can with FTP. The mappings for SFTP have not been implemented yet on Windows.

To be clear, I'm suggesting this only for a easier method of managing files from your computer to the server. You'll still need to use SSH as a remote to manage your server in other ways. For what I'm suggesting has nothing to do with SSH.

Last edited:

Shybella

Jul 29, 2019
I only brought this up because of the topic of this forum and also author purged Samba. I thought I'd introduce the idea.

What I'll do is take the time and whip up a guide. Extend some of this. Either way, anyone opening server public should have the knowledge of these services and what they do.

Security is much more important and I'll provide the information on proper security on the OS level with using Samba and or any open file manager. Encrypted traffic is only 1/10 of what you should be worried about.

Last edited:

Pickypicky

Jul 29, 2019
I've played Minecraft for a couple of years but am new to FTB and new to hosting and haven't looked through the code for MC/FTB/mods much if at all before a week or two ago. Am reasonably familiar with Unix (from years ago) and scripts/programming but not Ubuntu specifically. So, hubby set up a dedicated Ubuntu box and I loaded the FTB Infinity 1.7 server. Got it running. Can play in the new server just fine from the client on my laptop. Have set things up on the box so that when the machine reboots the FTB server will be restarted. It's stopping the server gracefully from OUTSIDE the game that I'm not sure how to do.

I've Googled this; several people besides those in this thread have suggested using screen, which I don't think I have (I tried going into bash) - which, whereis, man, find all turned up nothing.

Want to write a ServerStop.sh script on the dedicated box so I don't have to be in the client on my laptop to issue the /stop command. Killing the ServerStart.sh process straight out (which I tried early on) is ugly. Turns out the server won't restart after that with the usual "sh ServerStart.sh" unless I reboot first or mess around a bit. And various people online have indicated that chunk errors may occur on a bad stop if players are online at the time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shybella

Jul 29, 2019
You can type
Code:
screen sh Serverstart.sh

You'll need a wrapper for stopping the server and starting it again. Multicraft is a example. There are tons out there.

Last edited:

Pickypicky

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out screen is one of those existing but not-yet-installed packages on the system. Installed it; working with it. Thanks.

Tony32

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm using Ubuntu server 14.04 64 bit and I have about 1 gig used memory according to "free -m"
Thats insanely much compared to what u got in your tutorial. I installed using "default or normal" setup when I installed the OS. Any idea? I got 4GB DDR2 installed.

defakto

Jul 29, 2019
His process is based on a bare bones setup, 1gig is pretty common for a default style install. Have X-windows or equivalent? That's a hog. Have any other services running, also hogs. There is no easy way to answer why you're getting the numbers you are.

Tony32

Jul 29, 2019
His process is based on a bare bones setup, 1gig is pretty common for a default style install. Have X-windows or equivalent? That's a hog. Have any other services running, also hogs. There is no easy way to answer why you're getting the numbers you are.
Oh okay, i see ^^ anyway I had trouble with random crashes of java, so I installed minimum if CentoS7 and got like 50 MB ram usage now :) so Im happy with that.

Little bit offtopic, my infinity server crashes on startup at random places each time with fatal error (libjvm.so) , tried multiple versions if java and server OS'es. Sometimes the server works, mostly not. People say its probably memory errors, but it doesnt feel like thats the case cause it passes memtest86+ like 3 times and no errors. I dont have logs right now as im on the phone, but hey, someone if u might know from top if ur head :)

M

morno

can someone upload a script that starts minecraft as a service? :) thanks for reading

jasonmicron

Jul 29, 2019

Note on security: I would negate from having NFS/CIFS/iSCSI outside world accessible shares on a Windows Operating System. This has not been Samba's fault or CIFS protocol fault. It's the inconsistency of properly setting up a secure Samba share. Many Vulnerabilities related to Samba running on Windows ( Not a Linux Kernel ) have been because of flaws in the OS. This all has been addressed years ago.
My head seriously just exploded. Those are definitely words. Lots of words. Some acronyms, but mostly words. And a large majority do not mean what you think they mean. Are you a bot?

M

MC Rodas

Hi, I can't download the file from that website, it leads me to the creeperhost main website

gzcwnk

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any Linux based script / method to shut down the minecraft FTB server cleanly? eg via crontab or bacula?