Java Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SWC

Jul 29, 2019
First off, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

I just wanted to ask if there was any way to bypass java in playing FTB. A friend of mine really enjoys mods, but ever since that whole Java security risk came about he can't play anymore. I'm just wondering if theres any known tricks or something that would allow him to play without the risk. Thx!

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Which java security risk are you referring to? Because I'm sure its long been fixed and every other piece of software you use has the potential for something similar to happen.

SWC

Jul 29, 2019
No.

The game is written in java. There's literally no way to run it without a JRE installed.
well I know that you need java, I'm wondering if theres some way to get around the risk. IE making a separate profile to prevent it from affecting your major stuff.

Which java security risk are you referring to? Because I'm sure its long been fixed and every other piece of software you use has the potential for something similar to happen.
I'm not sure the details, but supposedly it makes it easier to break into anything with it installed. Whether or not its still an issue my friend believes it is, and claims that he knows people that have been hacked through it. Also, every piece of software DOES have some risk, its more of a matter of the AMOUNT of risk. A program like quicktime is much less likely to be hacked then java nowadays. Besides, as far as I know Java has not been fixed.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
well I know that you need java, I'm wondering if theres some way to get around the risk. IE making a separate profile to prevent it from affecting your major stuff.

I'm not sure the details, but supposedly it makes it easier to break into anything with it installed. Whether or not its still an issue my friend believes it is, and claims that he knows people that have been hacked through it. Also, every piece of software DOES have some risk, its more of a matter of the AMOUNT of risk. A program like quicktime is much less likely to be hacked then java nowadays. Besides, as far as I know Java has not been fixed.

QuickTime is less likely to be hacked mostly due to the fact that it's usage is much lower than Java. QuickTime is used in some places. Java is freaking everywhere. Obviously, a hacker who wanted to get the most opportunity for success will hack the more widely used program.

That said, Java updates regularly to reduce security risks, as do most major developers. If there is a known security risk, updates usually come out within days at the latest to address the issue. If you continue to feel at risk, it is up to you (or your friend) to decide the amount of risk to which you want to expose yourself. This does mean you will have to stop using a number of Java dependant programs, which as we have determined, takes Minecraft off the menu.

Again, which security risk does your friend think is a problem? How long has it been a risk? Has he checked for an update, or even reported the risk if he still believes it to be an issue? Without any information to go off, we can't really recommend any solution, or even confirm/diffuse his unease.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
No.

The game is written in java. There's literally no way to run it without a JRE installed.

Technically you're incorrect... Sorta :) You don't need a fulltime installation of Java.

If you load the game via the Curse client, which uses the actual Mojang Launcher, a runtime only version of Java 1.8.0_25 (currently) is automatically loaded first, and when you log out it is removed. Java only inhabits your system while you are logged onto the game.

Benefits: You will always have the recommended version of Java running, Mojang maintains the software and I assume takes responsibility for maintaining an uncorrupt version.

P

Parascythe

Plenty of ways to avoid security risks. Play on a system with no user data. Virtual machine, dual boot, seperate HDD etc.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Technically you're incorrect... Sorta :) You don't need a fulltime installation of Java.

If you load the game via the Curse client, which uses the actual Mojang Launcher, a runtime only version of Java 1.8.0_25 (currently) is automatically loaded first, and when you log out it is removed. Java only inhabits your system while you are logged onto the game.

Benefits: You will always have the recommended version of Java running, Mojang maintains the software and I assume takes responsibility for maintaining an uncorrupt version.

Intellesting, I did not know that.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Intellesting, I did not know that.

Amendment to my prior post, written before my morning coffee:

If you have Java previously installed on the system it seems to be overridden when you load MC from Mojang. If you don't want to use Java for any other purpose you can completely uninstall it.

You can still maintain a newer version of Java for development if you wish, but MC won't use it. For example I keep an up-to-date SDK installed so I can play around and pretend to program but MC loads version 1.8.0_25 :D

Please keep in mind that this will only work with launchers that link to and use Mojang's launcher.