Java Problems (Mac)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Machu1299

Jul 29, 2019
Quick Note: Don't reply saying, "Why do I use Mac?" I will be building a PC within the coming months.

So, I have been trying to play FTB, but every time I open the launcher, it says that Java 7 is recommended and some packs may not work with Java 6. I haven't been able to launch the Direwolf Pack (among others), so I went to download a newer Java. I wasn't able to find Java 7, only Java 8. I was trying to uninstall Java 6, but I wasn't finding it, no matter what I searched in Finder. I was getting frustrated so I just went ahead and installed Java 8 (update 25 if that matters), and Java.com said it was successfully updated. So I opened up the FTB launcher, and that window that said it recommended Java 7 didn't show up, but I'm still not able to launch a pack. I looked a the console and saw this:

Java Path: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
(If you need more, just ask.)

Its apparently still running Java 6. Why is that?

Thanks for any help.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Quick Note: Don't reply saying, "Why do I use Mac?" I will be building a PC within the coming months.

So, I have been trying to play FTB, but every time I open the launcher, it says that Java 7 is recommended and some packs may not work with Java 6. I haven't been able to launch the Direwolf Pack (among others), so I went to download a newer Java. I wasn't able to find Java 7, only Java 8. I was trying to uninstall Java 6, but I wasn't finding it, no matter what I searched in Finder. I was getting frustrated so I just went ahead and installed Java 8 (update 25 if that matters), and Java.com said it was successfully updated. So I opened up the FTB launcher, and that window that said it recommended Java 7 didn't show up, but I'm still not able to launch a pack. I looked a the console and saw this:

Java Path: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
(If you need more, just ask.)

Its apparently still running Java 6. Why is that?

Thanks for any help.
Mac comes pre-built with a custom version of Java. Install java 7 from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Machu1299

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find where Java was installed so I'm not able to uninstall Java 8. Do you know how I can find it? I've searched Java in Finder, but it doesn't come up.

C

chbachman

I can't find where Java was installed so I'm not able to uninstall Java 8. Do you know how I can find it? I've searched Java in Finder, but it doesn't come up.
You do not need to uninstall java 8. Java can have multiple environments. Just install java 7, and make sure that the ftb launcher is pointed to it. I use multimc, so it asks me which one to use, not sure about how to direct it to the right jvm.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know about the Mac, but on a PC if you try to install an older version of Java with a newer on installed Java seems to throw a fit.

I know the OP said he doesn't know where Java is installed, but on a PC it's always better to remove the older version first. In the old days when you had multiple versions the Registry wouldn't update cleanly.

Machu1299

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that I had to search JavaAppletPlugin.plugin. I deleted that and now I have Java 7. Now the pack is launching. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: chbachman