Java 7 vs Java 8

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Hi I was looking around on the forums and I could really find the answer I wanted but is there a major difference between Java 7 and Java 8 with MC 1.7.10?

I’m currently using Java 7_45 64bit and I have my FPS set to 60FPS. Sometimes I have notices that the FPS drops down after several hours of playing.... I have seen it as low as 8FPS. After a FTB client restart it back to normal at 60FPS.

I have been putting off updating to Java 8 for a while now. Would updating fix my degrading FPS? If not, is there much of a difference to warrant me updating to Java 8? Updating to Java 8 may cause me other issues (I need to do some testing) with other programs I use.

I’m also using fastcraft. I can still achieve 60FPS without it but I did notice a performance increase so I kept using it.

Mod Pack: A modded version of the” The Dark Trilogy” + 10 extra mods.
Java:Java 7_45 64bit

Sorry If I used the wrong forum as I wasn’t sure if to use “Tech Support” or just use the “General” for my post.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
^This.

As a plus, when FtB moves completely to the Curse Voice launcher you'll be able to remove Java from your system entirely, unless you have other programs that need it.

Curse "Pack Profiles" actually create a new profile on Mojang's authentication server. This way they don't have to know your sensitive account information. When you log on you are logging on with Mojang and their new launcher automatically loads and runs a runtime of the recommended Java for that pack version. The current Java for 1.7 packs is 1.8.0_25, I believe.

When you finish your session the Java runtime is automatically unloaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkone84

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks ScottulusMaximus & Hambeau I didn't think updating my Java would help with my FPS drops. Moving to the Curse Voice launcher sounds like the way to go, and should fix Java runtime issues.