JaRyCu's Slightly Modded Minecraft 1.10.2

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA

I took that as a typo where he meant to put "resources." Is that right @Scottly318? Also, I'd love to get some input from @Plasmasnake. He (she?) apparently loves my stuff, but I'd like to actually read what you think and what else you'd like to see in this world.

The thing I like is A: it's different, B: it truly shows creativity in not just building but any amount of automation and finally C: it's all done on a limited amount of rss.

I also appreciate the kind thoughts here. The older I get (I'm 38), the less creative I feel, and Minecraft gives me a way to reconnect with the creativity I had when I was much younger.

Reactions: Scottly318

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
[QUOTE="JaRyCu, post: 1739217
I also appreciate the kind thoughts here. The older I get (I'm 38), the less creative I feel, and Minecraft gives me a way to reconnect with the creativity I had when I was much younger.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling, I'm 31 as of yesterday. Between kids and minecraft? They keep me feeling young.... well the kids make me feel sore too :p

Edit... screwed the quote up goodly lol

Reactions: JaRyCu

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I'd love to get some input from @Plasmasnake. He (she?) apparently loves my stuff, but I'd like to actually read what you think and what else you'd like to see in this world.

That's because I do not have much to say. Just keep carrying on.

This thread makes me even more impatient waiting for more mods to update/come out for 1.10. Looks like a fun version of MC.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
That's because I do not have much to say. Just keep carrying on.

This thread makes me even more impatient waiting for more mods to update/come out for 1.10. Looks like a fun version of MC.

Stop waiting! 1.10 is full of things to do! ;)

I got an update email this morning about Botania being updated. It looks like Vazkii has finally taken it back over, and he's adding and removing things like crazy from it. Azanor is diligently working on bringing Thaumcraft up, but from what I read, he may not have it ready before 1.11 hits and I think that's what he's aiming at. Ender IO, IC2, and Immersive Engineering are all up and running in 1.10.

What I'm more excited about, though, are the new mods for 1.10+. There's an absolutely fantastic magic/nature mod called Roots by Elucent that is just amazing. You can also check out his Trello planning page. He's got a very in-depth "future changelog" I guess you'd call it so that you can see what he's working on adding to the mod. I think it'll eventually be as fleshed out as Botania the way he's going. Aidan C. Brady is making strides with Mekanism and it's even currently included in the alpha build of FTB Infinity 1.10. I've seen it in the videos by Kryllyk and Gaming On Caffeine. I know, I know, Mekanism isn't new, but it hasn't been in anything FTB-related since like 1.6 days I think, which is way before I started playing Minecraft. Cooking for Blockheads has to be hands down the single best mod out there if you're adding Pam's Harvestcraft to your world.

I also love the changes to XU and how it's become ExtraUtils2 now. Instead of being a piecemeal mod, it's more of a full-fledged mod that's filling in the gaps left in the chasm where Thermal Energistics used to be. Forestry is a lot more dangerous to you now if you're not paying attention as the bees actively attack you from any hive you approach. I don't know why it doesn't get more love...I love the bees and all of the things you can do with them. NEI and it's associated mods disappeared and then were replaced by JEI. WAILA and WAWLA made the jump from 1.7 to 1.10+.

With just the developers, Vazkii has unleashed a slew of new mods for 1.10, like Quark and Psi. McJty, the creator of RFTools, has split his mod into several pieces and also released other mods that are really cool to play with.

It really seems that the holdup has been due to the modpack makers, and with the 2 defacto progression mods, HQM and Progression. Neither has been properly updated and released for 1.10+ yet, although they both have workable versions. (The bug reports and interface errors I keep reading about are keeping me from trying either yet.) Without either of those two mods, it's hard to make a story-driven modpack for 1.10, so we don't have a Crash Landing or Regrowth that will draw out thousands upon thousands of players yet.

Personally, I have a few ideas for a story-driven modpack, but I'm waiting on one of those 2 mods to release something less buggy before I try my hand at pack creation. Until then, I'm just kinda doing my own thing here on the forums with this build journal.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Stop waiting! 1.10 is full of things to do! ;)

I got an update email this morning about Botania being updated. It looks like Vazkii has finally taken it back over, and he's adding and removing things like crazy from it. Azanor is diligently working on bringing Thaumcraft up, but from what I read, he may not have it ready before 1.11 hits and I think that's what he's aiming at. Ender IO, IC2, and Immersive Engineering are all up and running in 1.10.

What I'm more excited about, though, are the new mods for 1.10+. There's an absolutely fantastic magic/nature mod called Roots by Elucent that is just amazing. You can also check out his Trello planning page. He's got a very in-depth "future changelog" I guess you'd call it so that you can see what he's working on adding to the mod. I think it'll eventually be as fleshed out as Botania the way he's going. Aidan C. Brady is making strides with Mekanism and it's even currently included in the alpha build of FTB Infinity 1.10. I've seen it in the videos by Kryllyk and Gaming On Caffeine. I know, I know, Mekanism isn't new, but it hasn't been in anything FTB-related since like 1.6 days I think, which is way before I started playing Minecraft. Cooking for Blockheads has to be hands down the single best mod out there if you're adding Pam's Harvestcraft to your world.

I also love the changes to XU and how it's become ExtraUtils2 now. Instead of being a piecemeal mod, it's more of a full-fledged mod that's filling in the gaps left in the chasm where Thermal Energistics used to be. Forestry is a lot more dangerous to you now if you're not paying attention as the bees actively attack you from any hive you approach. I don't know why it doesn't get more love...I love the bees and all of the things you can do with them. NEI and it's associated mods disappeared and then were replaced by JEI. WAILA and WAWLA made the jump from 1.7 to 1.10+.

With just the developers, Vazkii has unleashed a slew of new mods for 1.10, like Quark and Psi. McJty, the creator of RFTools, has split his mod into several pieces and also released other mods that are really cool to play with.

It really seems that the holdup has been due to the modpack makers, and with the 2 defacto progression mods, HQM and Progression. Neither has been properly updated and released for 1.10+ yet, although they both have workable versions. (The bug reports and interface errors I keep reading about are keeping me from trying either yet.) Without either of those two mods, it's hard to make a story-driven modpack for 1.10, so we don't have a Crash Landing or Regrowth that will draw out thousands upon thousands of players yet.

Personally, I have a few ideas for a story-driven modpack, but I'm waiting on one of those 2 mods to release something less buggy before I try my hand at pack creation. Until then, I'm just kinda doing my own thing here on the forums with this build journal.

I know that quite a few of the mods that I have enjoyed in 1.7.10 have made the jump to 1.10. The thing is with me is that the point when Reika updates his mods to 1.10 (or if... I really hope he will) is the point I jump into it. I am willing to make do without a ton of mods and am excited to try new ones but I am like a drug addict when it comes to Reika's mods :p

-edit- Though if the waiting becomes too much I might have to make do without... that could be either interesting or the shortest-lived world I have ever done.

Last edited:

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
I know that quite a few of the mods that I have enjoyed in 1.7.10 have made the jump to 1.10. The thing is with me is that the point when Reika updates his mods to 1.10 (or if... I really hope he will) is the point I jump into it. I am willing to make do without a ton of mods and am excited to try new ones but I am like a drug addict when it comes to Reika's mods :p

Has Reika stated whether or not he's making the jump? I remember talking to you over the summer about his mods, but I've never really played with any of them. They're all really neat to me, but they're so alien versus my knowledgebase that I don't even know where to start.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No playing until Railcraft releases, but he's working hard on it, so I'm not worried.

I've always enjoyed Forestry. Be worth seeing the new changes.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 5 - Meet Domino

This isn't a full-fledged post; rather, it's just a small post that is really exciting for me. In between doing cool things of that I can make into a build journal, I actively explore my world. Well, for the first week, most of the exploration has found a world strangely devoid of horses. In real life, I don't like horses. I'm scared to death of them for some reason...they're one of the few animals that actually terrifies me. (Another is small blonde white women...those things scare me to death! They're so pretty though....)

Ok wait where was I?

Oh yeah, exploration and horses. For this project, I'd like to get a horse or two, tame them, and build a stables and start breeding them. Well, on my main continent, there hasn't been a single horse. I've boated around maybe 60% of it, walked through the heart of it, and even explored the large continent to the south of me, and no horses at all. Not even a donkey.

Today I was out boating around and BAM! Herds of horses! Herds and herds of them! All different colors...they were everywhere. ...and my saddle and horse armor were at home.

So I rowed the 2500 blocks back home and noticed that the land these horses were on arced to the north and connected with part of my continent that I hadn't explored yet. I followed the shoreline and, sure enough, soon came to a spot where I had already been, meaning I knew how to get my horse home once I picked one out.

10-15 minutes later, I was standing on shore deciding what color of horse I wanted. I was also seeing which had the best stats for speed and jumping because, well, who wants a horse that can't off the ground? I was in luck, too! The prettiest horse (to me) happened to have the best stats, so I fed it apples and petted it and made soothing noises to it until it was tamed, them I saddled it, put golden armour on it, and started finding my way home. And, just as my luck would have it, night fell AND it started raining, making my job fun. I was able to avoid zombies, witches, and creepers, and I dodged countless arrows from skeleton archers, but I made it home around sunrise the next day. We had to ford a river or two, go up and down mountains, and carefully pick our way through a deep roofed forest, but we made it.

I tied him to a fence post, fed him more apples, and then built a small horse stable for him. I also decided to name him Domino. My horse is amazing. Check him out below.

98tBcFK.png

Do2UEEB.png

BY1k4RE.png

j0aoClg.png

eN1AbBq.png

I also got a little fancy by mixing upside down steps and slabs to make the sides of his stable. I thought it looked really cool.

Reactions: Boqzo1

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Nice work.

I grew up around horses. They are deserving of respect, rather than fear. But they can indeed be dangerous. My cousin still has a slight scar from getting kicked in the face.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
So I finally gave in and bought some recording software while ago. I looked at my favorite YouTuber, Hypnotizd, and he uses Mirabilis Action! When I clicked over, they're doing an end of the summer sale and the commercial version was 33% off, so I picked it up for $32.95. It's very easy to use, but it appears that my headset/mic combo sucks for recording. I did a 5 minute walk-through of this world I'm posting about, and the video was beautiful (around 60 fps at full screen, 1080p recoding), but there was this horrible humming sound the entire time when I watched it back through. The video also skipped around, so evidently I need to get a new mic and tinker with the settings. If I can pick up a Twitch audience, I might do a Regrowth playthrough there, or some other pack. Maybe FTB Unstable or ATM, both for 1.10. Getting a new mic and figuring out the audio thing is first on the priority list, though. Until then, it's strictly build journals. I don't want to produce an inferior video and kill my channel before it starts.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd have told you to get OBS. It's free and records very nice videos, as well as coming with a noise gate, so any background can be largely eliminated.
Still, I'd like to see the world tour.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
I've looked at OBS, BandiCam, etc. OBS was a little too complicated for me, but Action! had massively good reviews and is really simple to use. For my headset, I'm using a cheap Logitech over-the-head headset with a boom mic that I picked up at Wal-Mart, so I'm fairly certain it'll get better when I have a better mic. I'm having a dental procedure done in the morning, so I won't be talking for a few days anyways and I can use that time to look into a better mic.

I'll post the base tour as soon as I can get decent sound quality on it. I starting tearing up part of the base today so I could install an automatic pumpkin farm instead of the manual one I had, so it's in the process of getting re-arranged anyways.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've actually got an Afterglow PS3/4 headset that manages to be insanely comfortable, and has a great mic on it. (Too good without the noisegate. :p)

OBS is overwhelming to look at, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. The worst part is finding out the best way to record a certain game. I have to tweak the mic offset for Fallout New Vegas and then reset it for Fallout 4, and Minecraft, but otherwise it's okay. Most stuff I just leave on default and that works well.

Though if you've got another one you prefer, that's fine. Can't wait to hear how it works. :p

M

Muaht

Personally, I have a few ideas for a story-driven modpack...

Enjoying your minimalist modpack journal. Although it's for 1.7.10, I've managed to get a theme going for my own small group of mods. I can't play larger packs, so funnily enough me trying to minimise graphic problems ended up accidently giving me a storyline. I'm going to do a journal of it here on the forums once I've got enough of a world to show, although I doubt I'll be half the wordsmith you are.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Enjoying your minimalist modpack journal. Although it's for 1.7.10, I've managed to get a theme going for my own small group of mods. I can't play larger packs, so funnily enough me trying to minimise graphic problems ended up accidently giving me a storyline. I'm going to do a journal of it here on the forums once I've got enough of a world to show, although I doubt I'll be half the wordsmith you are.

Honestly I'm not even doing a story for this one. If you look at my other thread that I killed off last week, I did attempt to do a story for each build journal in the thread. (I think there are 3 separate modpack journals in that single thread.)

If you want some advice for writing, my advice is just to go with it. I've been a writer ever since I was a kid, so to me it just kinda comes naturally. I do enjoy "talking" in first person, where you're experiencing the story through me and my own eyes. Don't try to be too formal if that's not you - just write like the voice in your head thinks.

I'd also advise you to start writing when you start your world. If you go back to the beginning of this thread, I "photographed" everything from the start so that everyone could see how I changed the land, and also what land I kept natural and worked with. After watching a TON of iJevin and Ethos episodes this week, I've been hunting for a large cave system to start an underground base, but I'm not having much luck with that. I may try and be more original and do something completely above ground, or I may carve into the large mountain system that's literally right beside my base and create my own caverns. We'll see what the next few weeks bring. ;)

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 6 - I FOUND IT!!!!!

I know it's been a few days since my last update, and I won't lie and say I've been playing my Slightly Modded Minecraft modpack every single second. I broke a rear tooth 11 days ago and the dentist put me on 10 days of antibiotics. Yesterday was Day 10, so I went back in and ended up getting 3 teeth pulled. I won't lie - I wish I would've had a mirror because I'm fascinated by this kind of thing. After the initial discomfort from getting your mouth poked with sharp needles, you lose all the feeling and then you just kinda lay there while strangers put power tools in your mouth. It took about 30 minutes to get rid of 3 teeth, and 30+ hours later, it still hasn't hurt really badly. I did wake up with a bad headache this morning, but 3 ibuprofen tabs and it went away quickly.

I've used the downtime, though, to get my modded fix on. I've played a little Regrowth and Sky Factory 2.5, watched more iJevin and Ethos, and really just rowed around my world in a rowboat. It's been very tempting to hop into creative and just fly, but I refuse to do that. It's so different exploring a vanilla world. With Infinity, I loved exploring and finding villages and even just different biomes because you never knew what you were going to find; in vanilla...there's just not that much besides amazing world generation. Here a link to some of my favorite shots I've taken so far.

Well, today I was back in the rowboat again, trying to see just how massive my continent is. I got to a point where I could see a village a little inland between 2 mountain ranges, so I quickly explored the village. There was nothing of interest in it, and I took off on-foot to see what the southern mountain range had in it. It was pretty neat, all of it in a taiga biome, and I climbed for nearly a Minecraft day (sunrise to sunset only) until, just after dusk, I found it.

I found the massive cave I'd been hoping to find.

YcmJ040.png

I was prepared for caving - I had roughly 10 stacks of torches and 3-4 stacks of oak slabs, along with my tools, bow, and sword. I killed a few pigs and made porkchops, then I went in.

This cave system is MASSIVE. After 5 STACKS of torches, I opted to come back to the surface and start planning on what all I wanted to do with it. I can see myself spending countless hours inside of this cave system, doing things I can't even imagine at this point.

As I caved, I marked each entrance/exit I'd found aboveground so that I could look at JourneyMap and see just how big it is. Here's what I found:

NRQunZS.png

The cave system goes from Y90 all the way down to bedrock, so JourneyMap won't give me an accurate picture of all of the tunnels that I can share. I will say that there's a massive ravine going through the middle of it, and I somehow ended up on both sides of it without actually crossing it. I even ended up down on the bottom level of it without having to create a tunnel or staircase to get down there. I didn't light all of the ravine up, but I lit up every single tunnel that I noticed, and I lit up the areas marked on the map. There are incredibly large, spherical cut-out rooms at various points down in the cave system where I can build massive things, and small rooms and tunnels that I can enlarge a little to do other things with.

I am ecstatic that I found this. I have a dark oak forest right near me, and a birch forest not too far away, so I can vary the wood that I use as I build. I can't wait to see where this goes. :D

Reactions: Plasmasnake

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe this is just confirmation bias, but I always felt like the vanilla game generated the best types of caves. I love a giant cave system that can take hours to traverse and explore with a decent number of ores and miscellaneous goodies. For some reason in my modded worlds, those types of epic caves are very few and far between... sometimes never even appearing.

Sometimes within those giant cave networks, it cuts into a ravine which cuts into another cave system and maybe an abandoned mineshaft, making it feel like one ridiculously large network. Its just awesome when that happens. Years of play still don't dampen the experience of exploring on of those for me.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I adore exploring caves, though I prefer the huge ones, where I can build lots of scaffolding and use it to slice ores out of the ceiling.

What do you do out in the real world JaRyCu?