JaRyCu's Builds - Sept 2016 - Infinity Evolved Expert Mode

Inge88

Jan 16, 2013
Italy
www.twitch.tv
There is 1.10.2 mod pack on at-launcher named donutcraft, i downloaded it but never actually tryied it out.
It features a lot of mods from what i've seen but thermal expansion is still missing

Reactions: JaRyCu

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
There is 1.10.2 mod pack on at-launcher named donutcraft, i downloaded it but never actually tryied it out.
It features a lot of mods from what i've seen but thermal expansion is still missing
Thermal expansion hasn't been updated yet.

A suggestion for a 1.10.2 modpack is All The Mods, it has 130 mods iirc.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA

As @RealKC noted, Thermal Expansion/Dynamics hasn't been updated yet. In fact, a large number of the most popular mods from 1.7 haven't made the jump to 1.10 yet. This sucks because we don't have a lot of what we're familiar with. More importantly, though, it's an amazing time for Modded Minecraft because it opens the door for mod developers to come out with completely new things for us to try and play with, in essence giving us a completely new game where otherwise 1.10 would've been a minor update in gameplay. The first time or two I tried 1.10, I didn't like it. The combat felt clunky, the mods I loved weren't here, and it was different. Then I played more and more and started loving it and now I can't play 1.7.10 without feeling like something's missing.

Thermal expansion hasn't been updated yet. A suggestion for a 1.10.2 modpack is All The Mods, it has 130 mods iirc.

Yeah, I've played ATM for a bit. It's neat, but it's just so big it's hard to focus on any single thing.

What would yall think about me doing "mini-packs?" Basically, I'd put together a standard pack of basic mods that are vanilla+ so to speak, and then add 1 major mod to it so that I can kinda spotlight it in a build journal? For example, I could do one all about the new changes in Tinkers, including all of the machines that are being added to it now so people can see what it's all about? Then I could do one about Roots, then one about the new XU2, E I/O, etc. This would keep the packs small and really promote focus. It would also minimize conflicts between mods as well as eliminating dupe ores. (I tried a pack last night that literally had 6 different copper ores in it - can't you mod developers do a quick boolean check isCopperInHere? before inserting yet another ore we've already got??)

I could even do an entire mod, beginning to end, and then add a new mod to it so that I have a base that evolves over time. I don't know if that would work out very well, but it might be fun to do.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Speaking of mod devs checking for isCopperInHere, it'd need to check for a mod that adds copper to be loaded and configs can mess stuff up.

Idk about making a build journal- actually what am saying, considering that I watch DrRageHard's surviving with series. That first idea sounds cool, but I kinda like the second idea more. Making a journal for a mod, than adding another mod, you may get problems with Oregen, but Simple Retrigen exists.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
FTB Infinity Evolved: Expert Mode (Round 2) Index Post

@Boqzo1 and I decided to go ahead and do a build journal on FTB Infinity Evolved: Expert Mode while we eagerly await the first FTB 1.10.2 pack. We've both done Expert mode before, separately, but we both agreed that it was too fun not to do again. From here until I post differently, you'll find the pack and all the fun we're gonna have.

Post 1 - Oh hell, here we go again!
Post 2 - Starting to gain momentum
Post 3 - Time for a real base
Post 4 - Starting the Move & Expansion

Last edited:

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 1 - Oh hell, here we go again!

That damn time transwarpsponder accidentally kicked in and sent me to another world. Of course, as soon as I deposited me here, it conks out again and leaves me with absolutely nothing. Well, maybe not nothing - I do have 2 books and 16 apples in my backpack, so at least I won't starve or get bored.

Wait. They're freakin' instruction manuals. Sheesh. Well, my first goal should be to seek shelter. I've gotten good at doing this, so I figure I'll wander around a bit.

As I wandered, I noticed the different trees and rock formations. This planet has the standard sheep, cows, chickens and wolves. After half a day of walking, I found one animal that stood out and virtually made my choice of where to live for me: The Chocolate Sheep.

EgJFTan.png

This guy meant serious business. A sheep that eats so much chocolate his wool and body turned brown?? I quickly looked up to find mega trees towering over me, some with small clusters of cocoa beans at their tops. I quickly gathered some sticks, made a makeshift ax, and proceeded to climb the vines on the nearest tree and clear off my little hilltop.

On my last planet, I was bombarded by all manner of evil creatures after the sun set, so I decided this time I'd climb into the trees. I'm in the same planetary system, I think, so it stands to reason some of the same creatures will be here. After a few hours, I started the laborious task of carrying wood up into the top of the largest tree and began to make a sturdy platform. I did take a moment to admire the view, though:

FspVU0V.png

4oiP27e.png

KCHxEJ3.png

I'm roughly 25-30 meters above the ground, so I have a great view of my surroundings. I won't bore you with all of the details of setting up camp. If you've read my previous reports back to HQ, you'll know what all is involved. Lots of tree chopping, putting together basics, getting food under control, and making sure my happy @$$ is safe. :cool:

Here's my base as it stands now for my first report:

OF6yEl6.png

Yes, that's a statue of my head. I'm a little vain, what can I say?

UDl3L5b.png

I love my steaks. Unfortunately, on this planet they won't cook so I ended up drying them into jerky.

g3v6ygZ.png

Remember the chocolate sheep? Now I have chocolate in mass production. I'll see about making some dough tomorrow and then I'll have cookies for the duration of my stay here. I'm excited. :D

RSV0ogV.png

I've also got apple trees and cherry trees (not pictured) under the base, down on the ground level, so that I have easily-renewable food until I get something more automated setup.

If I'm going to be comfortable, I'm going to need some machines. In order to do this, I need to melt things and make things fireproof, so I built a giant smeltery that can melt 48 ore blocks at a time and then a coke oven next to it for creosote production.

U3FVA7T.jpg

L44ZBgP.png

As you can see, I have a little bit of iron already.

Not too bad for a starter base, huh? You'll notice I have a glider already, and an iron bucket, and all of my tools are wrapped in moss. That seems to magically repair them if I stand in the sun for long enough. Given the height of my base, I've started jumping off the top and gliding out into the world to see what I can see. It's pretty fun. I'll share pictures of that pretty soon.

Last edited:

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 2 - Starting To Gain Momentum

I know it's been almost a week, but this world is seriously kicking my booty. Everything here seems... like it's halfway to death. When I cut down trees, they give me half the wood I'd expect them to give me. When I make things, the materials don't combine the way I'd expect them and I have to experiment and figure out how to make things I thought were commonplace. All of this work is making my eyes bug out of my head!

AC0GprD.png

I've done some exploring, looking for seeds and fruits and animals that I can use, and I can tell you that this world's not as dangerous as previous worlds that I've visited. It's really a beautiful place now that I'm armoured up a little.

ABpVmBT.png

Ir2WdcI.png

A waterfall inside of a mountain that's broken out of it's hiding spot over the millenia. This was truly beautiful when I stumbled across it.

O7wnCjM.png

2xumFg6.png

I added a wing to my treehouse for enchanting, and it happens to point due west. This gives me amazing sunsets while I'm reading through my magical books, trying to figure out how to improve my weapons and armour.

As far as power goes, I've discovered that I can mix sand and dirt and throw them down next to some water, and they eventually ferment into something that smells good and burns like crazy. I call it peat because I had a friend named Pete back home who smelled like he'd fermented into something, although he didn't smell good when it happened.

Anyways...I found a way to make an engine that burns this feet, turning it into power, and I can use that to power my growing machine base. I had to add a second floor to my treehouse in order to house everything electronic since I didn't want it to clutter up my living area.

WeKvv4M.png

hCyJMlj.png

This is the peat farm from above and right up close. I hope to automate this sooner or later, but it works for now. I can get enough peat out of this to last for days.

fOJDulD.png

Instead of manually bending and shaping all of my ores, I've discovered that I can make machines that do it a lot more efficiently. Unfortunately, they took a different form of power and I had to convert that from what the peat engines produced into a more usable form, but it works. I've also produced 4 lasers so that I can make the chips needed for the machines.

1NNPmYf.png

I also had to make very specific machines. On the left is one that mixes mats with water, and on the right is one that mixes melted glass with rarer metals to make electron tubes. (They constantly drain (and waste) power, so I had to install levers to flip them on and off.)

Finally, I needed to make steel the old-fashioned way since my tech's not high enough yet to quickly produce it, so I had to build a blast furnace. It's too hot to put it into the treehouse, so I stuck it next to my smeltery.

DiV1kUP.png

Now that I have a firm technological start, I'm hoping things will start going a lot more quickly for me. I need some sort of inventory sorting system as my chests are starting to get out of control. I'm having to chop down entire trees and rob villages in order to get enough wood to store everything. Maybe I'll see about making a sawmill next to quickly process the wood at least.

Until my next report HQ, this is JaRyCu, over & out.

Last edited:

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 3 - Time For A REAL Base

Every kid wants to live in a tree house unless s/he is deathly scared of heights. I've loved living in my tree house for the last few weeks here on this alien planet. It's kept me high above all of the nightly monster invasions, and it's given me the freedom to do what I want all through the night when insomnia hits.

But every dream must come to an end, and today I decided it was time to build a new base. A base that was more functional, that could more easily be expanded, and that I wouldn't break all of my arms and legs should I fall off the side of it.

So I set out on a 2-3 day walk. I took food, my sword, my tools, and my glider, and just started gliding everywhere. I had no idea what I hoped to find, but I knew that I'd know it when I saw it. I crossed deserts, mountain ranges, many rivers, and even walked along the coast for a few hours. After I passed through a frigidly cold forest on the third day of exploration, I finally found it.

I was following another coast, and I came to a spot where a river met it's end in the ocean. Right in the middle of the estuary, an island sat and effectively split the river in two as its waters flowed into the sea. I knew this island was where I needed to be.

I immediately took my hammer and excavator and cut a wide hole all the way through the island to see what it was made of.

av3vd49.png

It was made of dirt and rock. What'd you think it'd be made of? Bacon? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Unfortunately, it's the middle of monsoon season and I was scared the dirt would get soaked through and collapse, so I start reinforcing the walls and ceiling. That was a lot of work.

42UYmmC.png

rIVHlNA.png

"You know what, though? This just isn't big enough. I've got tools of mass construction for a reason, I might as well use them."

That's the thought that went through my head. So I leveled the entire island and then shored up the edges, squaring things off and making a firm foundation for my building to sit on top of.

07UE8kO.png

UPuJYKt.png

KExUH7r.png

After that, the next step is to build the walls, then outline the roof.

XBvG6Sm.png

LeVakDX.png

While this was going on, I was processing massive amounts of sand inside of my (newly-expanded) smeltery back at the tree house.

y1vna9m.png

My smeltery can process 2 1/2 stacks of anything. I was putting 160 blocks of sand in it, and I built a redstone timer to automatically make a new glass block every 14 seconds.

Nearly a day later, I'd finally placed all the glass into the walls so I had a breath-taking view of the ocean, the river, the forests, and even the plains that surround my new home. I'd also finished up the ceiling/roof, rounded off the edges on the base, and even customized the front door.

r7sLyL4.png

8vqxofk.png

cVo6kCt.png

kSaRnGh.png

Ln4LcB0.png

kOdIb5g.png

In the days to come, I do plan on building a large dock facing the ocean so that I can eventually setup maritime trading with other residents in this world. I'm sure that I'll find towns and cities dotting the coastlines. I also will build paths into the forests, mines, and everything else that it takes to start bringing resources into the base. I'll move the machinery from the tree house to here, along with the smeltery and the other manual ovens.

And I'll get rid of all the damned torches in favor of better lighting.

Authors Notes: I know I've been doing a "build journal," but this is the first time I've ever documented myself building anything. In 2-3 years of playing Minecraft, this might also be the first time I've ever designed a base from scratch. Normally I just carve out a hole in a mountain and slowly expand it as I need more rooms. Do you like what I did here? What else would you like to see?

Last edited:

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Authors Notes: I know I've been doing a "build journal," but this is the first time I've ever documented myself building anything. In 2-3 years of playing Minecraft, this might also be the first time I've ever designed a base from scratch. Normally I just carve out a hole in a mountain and slowly expand it as I need more rooms. Do you like what I did here? What else would you like to see?

1/10 for no bacon.

But honestly I do like (in general) watching people build a base and take screenshots of it. Desgin, construction, furnishing, it is all good stuff. As long as you don't carve out a 3x3 hole in and put a furnace in there and call it quits, it will be interesting. I do not know how much my opinion counts though because nearly all the stuff that I have built are squares and rectangles :p

Reactions: Inge88 and JaRyCu

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Looking pretty good, but that grass under the glass needs to go ahah :)

I kept the grass on purpose. I kinda liked how it looked with the texture pack I'm using. :p

1/10 for no bacon.

Oh, there WILL BE bacon. I just didn't find any buried under the massive amount of dirt and stone that previously made up the mound.

But honestly I do like (in general) watching people build a base and take screenshots of it. Desgin, construction, furnishing, it is all good stuff. As long as you don't carve out a 3x3 hole in and put a furnace in there and call it quits, it will be interesting. I do not know how much my opinion counts though because nearly all the stuff that I have built are squares and rectangles :p

Every opinion counts. Normally all that I build are squares and rectangles, too. About 12 months ago, before I'd discovered the joy of modded Minecraft, I was on the official Minecraft forums and started a creative world project. I even downloaded Bandicam and did a YouTube flythrough (no sound) of it. I found it the other day and showed it to @Boqzo1 and I was kind of impressed with myself. It's not rhn quality, but it's only vanilla.

The links to my Creative World flythrough (If you watch them, the video is very laggy. My computer at the time was NOT a powerhouse, which is why I've never done my own Let's Play. I hope to start one with the new FTB 1.10 pack when it's released, though.):

Last edited:
Reactions: Plasmasnake

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm recording with OBS, and have used Loilo Game Recorder in the past. Both as good as Bandicam, but free and no water mark.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 4 - Starting the Move & Expansion

HQ, this is JaRyCu reporting in. I'm sending this report in to let you know of the progress I've made in trying to get more secure and a lot more comfortable.

In my last report, I stated that I wanted to build a dock on the back of my new base of operations. That's the first thing I did after filing my report.

The process was really a lot easier than I thought it would be. I started by laying out the pylons that would hold the dock up. With no scuba equipment, it was really difficult to get down to the ocean floor, but I managed.

INCjVSb.png

erhd352.png

4PTnalQ.png

Then, using mounds of dirt leftover from leveling my island, I placed wooden planks in a staggered down fashion.

Rrdv0j2.png

Once I reached the end of the sandbar behind the island, the ocean floor dropped off greatly and I decided the dock was long enough. I placed a few lanterns on the pylons and then admired the sunrise.

Gtznk6R.png

vDMYKn4.png

vT01sEr.png

After that, I knew I'd need easier access to logs from my spruce forest, so I built a railway into the woods and a logging camp. I had to build a bridge across the lagoon on the eastern side of my island, which proved to be a challenge as it's so deep.

fQHd5Ti.png

knfPjhF.png

JtLm8gc.png

zNbcF04.png

Finally, I started moving the machinery from my treehouse over here to the island. All of it is so noisy, however, that I've opted to store it on the mainland in a cave and I've wired my power back from the water wheel into the cave.

aehTh5n.png

Most of this room was made from marble, which cuts so easily I was able to fit the machinery into it. That should provide some protection if one of those blasted creepers sneaks in on a suicide mission.

I've also brought over 10 of these glowing, spiky, green bushes. They grow on anything, so I just threw them onto the sand next to my base. When you eat the fruit that they produce, you feel as if you're growing in power. Coincidentally, I've noticed that eating the fruit also causing my enchanting attempts to be both more successful and more powerful. I worked out a way to withdraw this "essence" from my body and store it in an underground tank so that I can access it later should I need it.

l8mAjsb.png

As you can see, I've also changed the shape of the island a little. I shored up the sides with logs to help protect against erosion as the tide ebbs and falls, placing down a gravel barrier to help absorb and channel the water. I've tied down a few stacks of lumber should I need wood quickly.

I still haven't actually put anything into my base. I want to section it off into rooms, but I love being able to just stand inside of see the ocean on all sides, watch the sun set or rise without changing rooms, and just how it feels to be so large and open. I find myself standing there and just staring when I should be doing something more productive, but the view is just spectacular.

Oh! I almost forgot! I've managed to make the most important thing since landing on this planet. When I was a kid and I was having a bad day, my mother would make a homemade apple pie and we'd sit down and enjoy it with a scoop of ice cream. Well, I haven't managed to recreate ice cream just yet, but I did make apple pie!

T7S7zI6.png

After weeks of eating beef jerky, this apple pie tasted so good. I actually ate the entire pie at one sitting. I may have to see about setting up a way to get apple pie on demand, just like we have back home with the food replicators.

OK HQ, that's the end of my report for today. I hope you receive this soon and send some aid this way, but in the meantime, know that my time here is getting more and more bearable as I progress.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Due to circumstances beyond my control, my Infinity server build journal has been cancelled. Despite my best intentions, I think I'm going to kill this entire thread. I've started 3-4 journals in it, and all of them have had horrible deaths, so I think it's best to just refer all of you to my Slightly Modded Minecraft journal, at least until FTB Infinity 1.10 comes out later on this year.

On other notes, I'm going to create something I'm thinking of as Craftitude. I may stream live on Twitch, or I may do LP's on YouTube, or I may do both. I do have a Curse group for it, so if you're interested in joining, PM me for access. I'd love to hear ideas and innovations on how to get all of this done and ways to make sure that it's good quality for everyone who would choose to partake in it.

Thanks all and I'll see you in my other thread!