I've a question for you guys

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Androsida

Is 2gb server with 4 core processor enough to have a nice ftb infinity evolved server where there will be 2 people at most?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That should be ok for a 1.7 pack, yeah. The 4 cores isn't a bad thing at all, since especially that version of the game is single-thread only. But the 2 gb should be fine for 2 people with default view distances. That's pretty much bottom basic setup, but it should work fine.

That wouldn't be enough to load an empty world in 1.10, though.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I think you might suffer on 2GB.

I currently run a dedicated server PC (Linux to prevent overheads) to accommodate 4-6 players - basic specs are a Core i3 2100, and 8GB of RAM from which I dedicate 6GB to the Minecraft server process (Running Infinity Evolved 1.7.10)

Right out of the box, brand new map with 0 players yet to connect, it hovers around the 2.5-3GB mark. When players on and active with various loaded chunks and machines, it lingers at around 3.5-3.6GB of useage.

I think for that pack 4GB is a must - just from experience.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm a bit late to the show but if your server has 2GB total then you shouldn't even consider running Minecraft at all since 2GB is barely enough to run the Operating System, given a 64 bit OS.

Personally, I'd opt for at least 8GB total for a server, since I'd also run it using Integrated Graphics (GPU not needed for a server) which uses 256-512MB ram off the top*, 1-2GB for the OS and you will almost always want to add something later on that will increase the memory requirements, like new mods or Server Admin tools.

In addition, 8GB can be 1 8GB, 2 4GB or 4 1GB DIMMs... 2 & 4 GB DIMMs are usually cheaper and you'll want dual channel ram for more efficient operation (needs an even number of DIMMs).

* Exception: New APUs, combination CPU/GPU dies in one chip. Ryzen APUs (with Vega GPU) use 512MB for graphics Ram up to 8GB (self allocating) in my laptop with graphics intensive applications, I've not seen much on the new Intel chip w/Vega graphics, used in the "Hades Canyon" NUC, yet but suspect a similar behavior.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
This was from about 6 weeks ago, so I assume they've figured it out by now, but I do need to note here, I was thinking 2 Gigs allocated just for minecraft, not 2 Gigs total.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This was from about 6 weeks ago, so I assume they've figured it out by now, but I do need to note here, I was thinking 2 Gigs allocated just for minecraft, not 2 Gigs total.

You can't be too careful... I know people in real life who don't take "hidden requirements" into consideration, like how you used to have to add an extra quart of oil to fill the new oil filter when you change oil because the documented amount only included crankcase capacity. :eek:

Reactions: Shevron