Isn't an MFR tree farm really just a solar panel?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
An MFR farm will put out much more power than a single UH solar, it just takes up more space. Solar is the way to go as long as you want compact, lag free, daytime power but for everything else MFR farms are cheaper and more fun :).

Bear in mind as well that forestry multifarms can be automated with the right bees, and with super trees will produce massive amounts of power.

Reactions: MigukNamja

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
An MFR farm will put out much more power than a single UH solar, it just takes up more space. Solar is the way to go as long as you want compact, lag free, daytime power but for everything else MFR farms are cheaper and more fun :).

Bear in mind as well that forestry multifarms can be automated with the right bees, and with super trees will produce massive amounts of power.

Aren't those bees not part if forestry itself though? And it still means to get a multifarm to be totally maintenance free, you need to do bee AND tree breeding.

IMO this is ideal. The basic farm costs a bit to set up but requires the player to add resources periodically. Then you can increase the output of the farm and reduce the upkeep by doing other things (breeding).

An mfr farm is easy to run early game, requires no maintenance and offers no higher tier to shoot for late game.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I still say hydroelectric generators or photobioreactors are great scalable power sources. Also the gas generators along with the refinery from Engineers toolbox are very nice.

Reactions: RedBoss

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Solar is the way to go as long as you want compact, lag free, daytime power but for everything else MFR farms are cheaper and more fun :).

Solar isn't lag free, at least not the solar that produces EU. It can cause some fairly nasty lag between daylight checks and spamming your server console with energnet warnings.

Factorization solar seems mostly lag-free, but you need to load multiple chunks if you want any real power.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The trouble with power is that you either end up with free power, or you end up base-trapped, where you can't leave to do anything because you've got to constantly baby-sit your power system, or some other system. I've started breaking up my base as much as possible so I have to move from area to area to do things, otherwise I spend all my time in a little area doing repetitive tasks that never end to no purpose. When that happens, it's time to scrap the world.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The original intent of MFR was never to be an excessively complicated mod. It was designed to automate the tedium of tasks from vanilla. Farming, breeding, drop gathering, wait times for mob drops, and XP gathering are all vanilla time sinks. MFR was designed to destroy the time sink so that you could do other things.

Below is the mod description from the MCF post from 2011.
What is MineFactory Reloaded?A way to automatically farm plants and animals, as well some new rail tracks! With this mod you can set up a completely automated farm for any of these things that requires no real work aside from collecting the harvests and reloading the planter, without incredibly complex and unwieldy water/piston solutions. And you can milk cows to death or otherwise run livestock farms if you need those resources. Oh and it has conveyor belts too. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d-power-converters-and-more-updated-dec-19th/

At no point was MFR designed to be a high tech mod. Like most other mods it was designed and balanced against itself. Some may find it boring, fun, simple, etc. But to compare it to another mod as a reason to classify or demean it is rather unfair. We have to remember that mods are largely designed to be used by themselves. It has only be recently that mod packs, large numbers of mods cobbled together, have become a trend. Most mods are far reaching in functionality because the intention was that you'd use only that mod.

Now if you don't like or want to use a mod, that's your prerogative. But remember the context of a mod's creation and it's intended goal. When you look at what MFR aims to achieve, it's SUPER successful. For that matter so is Compact Solars. I never bash either mod anyway.

Last edited:

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I avoid MFR because I feel it is a bit OP and is designed around simple (but very powerful) setups with little to no effort. That's exactly what the mod is designed to be though, and if it was up to me it wouldn't be in FTB. With that said, It's not a bad mod but it does tend to throw off the balance and appeal of other mods in the pack. My first tree farm is always a forestry one.

I've never really complained/cared about it because it doesn't add any worldgen (to my knowledge), and the only way you'd even know it's in the pack is if you searched for recipes in NEI. I tend to only get frustrated about OP mods that throw tons of worldgen in your face.

Reactions: Overmorrow

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
The original intent of MFR was never to be an excessively complicated mod. It was designed to automate the tedium of tasks from vanilla. Farming, breeding, drop gathering, wait times for mob drops, and XP gathering are all vanilla time sinks. MFR was designed to destroy the time sink so that you could do other things.

Below is the mod description from the MCF post from 2011.
What is MineFactory Reloaded?A way to automatically farm plants and animals, as well some new rail tracks! With this mod you can set up a completely automated farm for any of these things that requires no real work aside from collecting the harvests and reloading the planter, without incredibly complex and unwieldy water/piston solutions. And you can milk cows to death or otherwise run livestock farms if you need those resources. Oh and it has conveyor belts too. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d-power-converters-and-more-updated-dec-19th/

At no point was MFR designed to be a high tech mod. Like most other mods it was designed and balanced against itself. Some may find it boring, fun, simple, etc. But to compare it to another mod as a reason to classify or demean it is rather unfair. We have to remember that mods are largely designed to be used by themselves. It has only be recently that mod packs, large numbers of mods cobbled together, have become a trend. Most mods are far reaching in functionality because the intention was that you'd use only that mod.

Now if you don't like or want to use a mod, that's your prerogative. But remember the context of a mod's creation and it's intended goal. When you look at what MFR aims to achieve, it's SUPER successful. For that matter so is Compact Solars. I never bash either mod anyway.

I disagree, it is fair to to compare mods. If people want to compare, they can. Freedom, etc. We can all play how we want, right? MFR might not have been originally written with big mod packs in mind, but right now people are posting on a forum dedicated to big mod packs, and people can discuss, if they are civil, mods and how they compare to others if they want. Censorship is just bad, and Id think you of all people would not tell others not to post criticisms, since you so often champion each of us being able to play how they want.

I'd argue that the 'my mod exists in a vacuum' argument is a fallacious one, because as I said, we are posting on a forum dedicated to putting many mods together. And If MFR ruins the fun for some people, they should be allowed to speak up about it, as long as the discussion is civil.

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Both are the same in the sense that they are both set and forget. But MFR is more set then forget though. The infrastructure you have to set up is rather vast, then again so are solars.
The difference being that solars setup is almost entirely in the craft bench and MFR is done mostly in the world even if you use AE to automate it.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
it doesn't add any worldgen (to my knowledge)
MFR adds rubber trees, poo pools, and sludge pools

In 1.2.5 I played on a (Tekkit) server where chunk loading (and EE2) was disabled, and I played there for a LONG time, it's where I started with modded minecraft and learned the basics.. the whole point, what pretty much everyone was doing, was making HV solar panels. They'd use these, along with power converters, to power their quarries, so that they could make more HV solar panels. Then these would power more quarries (there was a mining age that was reset once per week.. and to chunk load the quarry you had to stand by it.. fun..) The only other viable power source was nuclear, and well, to get anything more than 120EU/t out of that you needed to make a snow golem farm that was laggy as all hell(and ended up getting banned because of this)

So solar panels, to me, are a case of "been there, done that" before I quit that server I was running with about 10-12 HV solars, powering 16 quarries, and the only goal was to make more solars... it was horrid...

When I started playing 1.4.7, everyone was clamouring that nether lava power was OP and boring and "been there, done that" but to me, it was fresh and new and exciting, cause it was something I'd never tried.. yeah it got old pretty fast, but it was fun while it lasted. Then in 1.5.2, when everyone was making MFR tree farms, I made an MFR sugarcane farm, and turned that into power through coke ovens and boilers.

Multi system power sources are what is fun to me, watching something be transformed from X to Y to Power is where I get enjoyment, fiddling with it to reduce power input (changing it from MFR sugarcane farm to golem sugarcane farm) and increase power output (taking the extra creosote from the coke ovens and burning that too) was the challenge... and seeing all of it.. spread out over quite a large amount of area (probably in total it was 30x30x30) was amazing... compare this to placing an unanimated block on your roof.. yawn.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You're not the only one but server admins doesn't like nether being pumped, especially when they aren't using the Ender-Thermic Pump from ExtraUtilities.
Plus, Hell isn't Hell when they lack in lava. :p

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
One world, I focused on Mystcraft and made some nice Oil ages. I'd place 4 or so pumps, each on their own huge spout, and wouldn't have to move pumps but every few days or so, and this was with 2x MFR lasers at full power and a large AE system draining power constantly.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree, it is fair to to compare mods. If people want to compare, they can. Freedom, etc. We can all play how we want, right? MFR might not have been originally written with big mod packs in mind, but right now people are posting on a forum dedicated to big mod packs, and people can discuss, if they are civil, mods and how they compare to others if they want. Censorship is just bad, and Id think you of all people would not tell others not to post criticisms, since you so often champion each of us being able to play how they want.

I'd argue that the 'my mod exists in a vacuum' argument is a fallacious one, because as I said, we are posting on a forum dedicated to putting many mods together. And If MFR ruins the fun for some people, they should be allowed to speak up about it, as long as the discussion is civil.
How is mfr ruining your fun? For that matter who's bashing Solars? Who's declaring that MFR is a standard energy generation mod?

Reactions: PierceSG

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
dude. get creative with that. mfr tree farm that makes frames (not power), for bees that produce phosphor, for a factory that makes lava, produces lava crystals, and feeds that into boilers. oh and never mind the massive blaze, wither and creeper mob traps in the background there needed to help making the crystals. I think thats a fairly creative way of generating power that doesnt rely solely on this mfr tree farm aka solar panel you all are going on about ;)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
How is mfr ruining your fun? For that matter who's bashing Solars? Who's declaring that MFR is a standard energy generation mod?

Not challenging, too easy, too cheap to make for the power it provides. Who is bashing solars? It was an observation about many people in the community. Solars generally get some scorn for being infinite power. Ive heard comments like this, or similar to that, for months and months.

Actually you were the one saying people should not bash either mod ("everyone think like I do" is how I read that) I thought you were talking about people in this thread saying solars were boring, etc.

HOnestly I don't really understand what you are getting at here. What exactly is your issue with this thread/topic?

Reactions: immibis

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that got insulting quickly (talking to you, zorn). No matter where you go on these forums, there are always people misinterpreting other people's posts, turning them into something they really aren't. Somewhat amusing to read often though.

Back on topic:

In the end, every power system is meant to be self-providing in one way or the other, or at least require so little maintenance that its not worth noting. Any power system that requires too much maintenance will end up being disposed.
Requiring great infrastructure is one way to solve the balance issues. That's why I think netherpumping and HV Solars are inferior ways of power generation, on the fun aspect of it at least. For convenience, I do not count the required resources to craft your solar as infrastructure.

~ Dylan