Island of Sodor

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cira

Jul 29, 2019
My son and I have been playing FTB for a few months now and last night he came to me and said he wanted to build the Island of Sodor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodor_(fictional_island)

I told him we would have to change what server we are on, and he was happy with that. So I set about trying to sort out the best way to handle this.

I debated on using Mindcrack again, but I haven't dipped into Traincraft to see if its worthwhile, or just overwhelming.

I found a decent Seed to use, and while its not an island I think I can make it work for my son as there is a decent sea near the spawn.

If you, the collective FTB vets here, were to do this, what would be your mod pack of choice, or would you edit one down to a more manageable size. Would you add in things like Mystcraft (for an Ore Age)?

Or, and I shudder to think of this one, would you dump FTB and just go the basics of Traincraft, Railcraft, and Steve's carts?

Joviah

Jul 29, 2019
I would definitely recommend FTB Ultimate. And from what you're describing - the Railcraft locomotives could definitely add some good flavor to your build. Lots of great automation options there that could lend to building a seemingly living, breathing world. I don't recommend using Traincraft from my own personal experience.

Another thing to consider - the v1.5.1 changes I've seen on some of the Forgecraft 2 videos looks fantastic, but from what I understand a transition from FTB Ultimate 1.4.7 -> 1.5.1 could easily break your world. It looks like you have a massive build you're planning so it may be something to plan for. There's a couple folks working on creating their own MC 1.5.1 tech mod packs, it could be something to look into if you're inclined to do so.

Reactions: RedBoss

Cira

Jul 29, 2019
This is indeed a massive undertaking, so once I start, I will not change/ update the world again anytime soon (Maybe ever to be honest)

My only concern with the Ultimate pack is that there is so much in it that I don't think we would ever use.
(Portal Gun, Thaumic Bees or any of the bee mods, EE3, Thaumcraft)

One thing I forgot to mention, we turn off Hostile Mob spawn.

Affex

Jul 29, 2019
This is indeed a massive undertaking, so once I start, I will not change/ update the world again anytime soon (Maybe ever to be honest)

My only concern with the Ultimate pack is that there is so much in it that I don't think we would ever use.

Then you could just simply disable those mods :)

Joviah

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to do that, but I think you are right, I will have to.

Still though, I am comparing Ultimate vs Mindcrack vs Tech World
Well, there's always two options:

You could disable them, or you could simply not use them.

Portal gun and thaumic bees in particular don't have any world generation I believe. (They might, but I really don't think so). The only thing about the portal gun is that some of those items can be found in dungeon chests. BUT - the portal gun is much more than just the actual portal gun - there's some great capability in regards to static redstone-activated portal that could be pretty useful for a cool railway setup. Something to think about anyways.

Thaumcraft and EE3 have some world changing characteristics. Thaumcraft in particular could introduce unstable nodes that will generate flux over time, which could eventually ruin an area you're building up, as well as some ore generation. EE3 - well right now the only thing that will do in a fresh world is spawn angry zombies - which wouldn't be a problem if you have hostile mobs turned off. That would be the only change.

Personally - I would recommend at least leaving Portal Gun in - it can lead to some pretty fun builds even without actually using the portal gun item itself.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
You could always import Ultimate to MultiMc, and edit your mods that way. So if, in the future, you'd like to use Ultimate as is, you won't have to mess with or readd anything.

I'd go with Ultimate simply because it would offer you the most choice/flexibility.

Reactions: Joviah

Joviah

Jul 29, 2019
You could always import Ultimate to MultiMc, and edit your mods that way. So if, in the future, you'd like to use Ultimate as is, you won't have to mess with or readd anything.

I'd go with Ultimate simply because it would offer you the most choice/flexibility.

You know, I've been importing into MultiMC for so long now, I totally forgot to mention this. Good point Virgoddess. :)

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
Well, there's always two options:

You could disable them, or you could simply not use them.

Portal gun and thaumic bees in particular don't have any world generation I believe. (They might, but I really don't think so). The only thing about the portal gun is that some of those items can be found in dungeon chests. BUT - the portal gun is much more than just the actual portal gun - there's some great capability in regards to static redstone-activated portal that could be pretty useful for a cool railway setup. Something to think about anyways.

Thaumcraft and EE3 have some world changing characteristics. Thaumcraft in particular could introduce unstable nodes that will generate flux over time, which could eventually ruin an area you're building up, as well as some ore generation. EE3 - well right now the only thing that will do in a fresh world is spawn angry zombies - which wouldn't be a problem if you have hostile mobs turned off. That would be the only change.

Personally - I would recommend at least leaving Portal Gun in - it can lead to some pretty fun builds even without actually using the portal gun item itself.
Angry Zombies are Thaumcraft, not EE3, and the worst possible effect you can get from flux would be a toss-up between lightning striking (which, worst case, destroys one rail or a painting) or a giant angry zombie. Both of these only happen with MASSIVE flux, and either way, getting silverwoods to purify nodes makes flux "curable." Really, the only thing I see happening is that you would unluckily build near a corrupt node, have to deal with wisps til you find a silverwood, then fix it. That's basically it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

As for mods you don't use; in general most mods have a minimal cost once installed. The only real exception is dimensional mods like Twilight Forest or Atum. If you have something installed you don't want, just don't build those machines! No need to worry about them. And who knows, you may find use for them in the future (if only as building tools). For example, lots of people say, "I don't need gravity guns!" then realize they're a ranch hand's best friend.

The only other advice I could give you is to wait for a FTB for 1.5.1 to drop. Otherwise, you're not going to get bugfixes over time. The nice part about FTB is they do the work of updating for you so that you can just copy your world folder to a new server, start it up, let FTB update your clients, and BAM you lose nothing. So long as you stay on the garden path of FTB updates they generally make it easy.

But not all mods are guaranteed to make it to 1.5.1, so waiting just a week or two more might be prudent.

Reactions: Joviah

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
You really should consider looking into the bees mods, it may seem very complicated at first... but you really do get a pretty nice sense of satisfaction from actually working with them. It could almost be a game in and of itself... dont write them off! =p

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
My son loves Thomas too, but is too small for Minecraft just now. Sounds like a great project. I think I'd use traincraft just because you get different trains that look different. Wonder if someone has made a Thomas texture pack for it.

Cira

Jul 29, 2019
If you are doing anything with trains I would highly suggest using Traincraft as well..
Traincraft is definitely part of the "mix" and its the main reason I still consider Mindcrack.

You really should consider looking into the bees mods, it may seem very complicated at first... but you really do get a pretty nice sense of satisfaction from actually working with them. It could almost be a game in and of itself... dont write them off! =p
I will look into Bee's again I guess. I just havne't had much use for them so far, but that could be because I never really did anything with any of the items I found/ mined up

Angry Zombies are Thaumcraft, not EE3, and the worst possible effect you can get from flux would be a toss-up between lightning striking (which, worst case, destroys one rail or a painting) or a giant angry zombie. Both of these only happen with MASSIVE flux, and either way, getting silverwoods to purify nodes makes flux "curable." Really, the only thing I see happening is that you would unluckily build near a corrupt node, have to deal with wisps til you find a silverwood, then fix it. That's basically it.

If the seed I tested out earlier in Mindcrack holds true, then I will have a Silverwood right near the spawn.
(Seed: BioshockInfinite; use Large Biomes not Default, head northwest from the spawn about 1200km, about the time you exit the redwood forest there will be a small beach area near a Tundra, thats the spot for our town. I will post a Dynmap screenpic of it later tonight.)

It's really, really easy to use. It has a built in "import from FTB launcher" function. And if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
Thank you, I will try it out tonight and see what its like.

As for mods you don't use; in general most mods have a minimal cost once installed. The only real exception is dimensional mods like Twilight Forest or Atum. If you have something installed you don't want, just don't build those machines! No need to worry about them. And who knows, you may find use for them in the future (if only as building tools). For example, lots of people say, "I don't need gravity guns!" then realize they're a ranch hand's best friend.

The only other advice I could give you is to wait for a FTB for 1.5.1 to drop. Otherwise, you're not going to get bugfixes over time. The nice part about FTB is they do the work of updating for you so that you can just copy your world folder to a new server, start it up, let FTB update your clients, and BAM you lose nothing. So long as you stay on the garden path of FTB updates they generally make it easy.

But not all mods are guaranteed to make it to 1.5.1, so waiting just a week or two more might be prudent.

I havne't heard of Atum before, I will have to look it up.

I think what I will do is just play around and try to learn all the recipes until 1.5.1 comes out. I know my son would love horses, as he also decided he wants a zoo. (Luckily, if no horses, I can still just add in Atmos Mobs and be done with the zoo aspect of it)