Is there way to use optifine on unmodded realms server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
D

Daihok

Just like title says is there way to use optifine on an unmodded realms server?

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
How did you try? Is it not working after you install optifine by using one of the methods explained in official optifine installation guide?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Doesn't Realms require you use the latest version of Minecraft all the time? I would think that alone would make this impossible.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Doesn't Realms require you use the latest version of Minecraft all the time? I would think that alone would make this impossible.
True. optifine development lag might create few day windows without optifine.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The better answer is, don't use Realms. Ever. For any reason at all.

It's not good. You don't have access to the files, so if something gets corrupted (which can happen easily), you can't fix anything. It's also about twice as expensive as a third-party server host.

Then, you can make your own Vanilla+ modpack with optifine and whatever you want in it.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Does realms even work with Java MC? I've not used it but it's been available for the C++ versions (MCPE, Win10) since it started and I really doubt you'd have any luck using Optifine with them...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It does work with the Java version, at least theoretically. If you click on it and you're not using the absolute most up to date version of the client, it will tell you you need to update, so since I don't play vanilla on the Java version, I can't confirm.

I did use Realms on my Win10 version and it was a lovely experience. At first. Until people started getting booted randomly, invisible blocks would pop up and livestock would spontaneously combust. And since there are no backups, those ended up being harbingers of that world's apocalypse.