Request Is there any modpack with no grindwall?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
M

MyPokeballzHurt

Hey, so I've come to realize that most "hard" modpacks are just modpacks with huges grindwalls... so I'm looking for a fun modpack that has no hard grindwall. Is there such a thing?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Don't pick a hard mode pack?

Most of them expressly state they are hard mode.. Most hard mode packs = grind (either for food or resources, or both)

Direwolf20 packs are fun, as is the Infinity pack (just don't put it on expert mode and you will be fine).

Reactions: rhn

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have found that if you want to dictate your own play experience, the best course of action is to create your own pack. Everyone has a different definition of how much is too much when it comes to resource sink and level of grind, so take the wheel and decide for yourself. Using Curse to create modpacks is incredibly easy, and other than a few rare Potion/biome ID fixes, most packs just work.

It takes some work to config the pack to your desire, and tweaking ore spawning can be daunting until you get a grasp on it, but even those are just trial and error and play testing. Mods like NoMoreRecipeConflicts works nicely to avoid uncraftable items due to recipe overlap, and once identified, mods like Minetweaker can rewrite the recipes no no longer conflict (again, it you take the time to polish it - if you're OK with it, just run as is).

What's nice as well, you don't have 30 mods in your pack that you don't have any intention of touching eating up system resources. Start with a small core of mods (preferred world gen included) and add to it slowly as you discover needs/wants. Always backup before tinkering, of course

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I think few well thought out packs have "grind walls". Most good packs have means to help you past the high material requirements, and it should be seen as an encouragement to use those. Like setting up processing, farms, auto mining etc. And the challenge of the pack is therefore to figure out which of these to use how and when.

But if you are still manually mining, hunting mobs for drops, and farming by hand well into mid/late game, then sure it will feel grindy.

Also many packs use more expensive recipes to increase longevity of your worlds, encourage using more parts of the mods as intermediary steps etc. But if all you care about is tech progression and getting to the endgame asap, then it will probably feel grindy too. But if you explore/divide your time between multiple mods/spend time building stuff, then you should be swimming in materials from even the most simple and slow automated sources.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
How you define 'grind' tends to vary wildly from person to person, one persons grind is another persons gameplay. How grindy a pack is also depends on how you approach it, for instance if you take your time and slowly build up your infrastructure then Infinity Evolved Expert won't feel at all grindy. But if you go at it and try and get AE2 running on day 1 then the pack will punish you and you'll feel like it's a massive grind.

Reactions: Greystoke
B

boballama

Have you looked at Inventions? I was giving this pack some consideration until the new Direwolf20 1.10.2 pack came out. So I haven't tried Inventions but its promo appears to address your complaint.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Inventions definitely runs the other way. Once you get into EE, your resource problems are solved entirely.

Modular Mayhem is where I'd go. There's no grind wall but it's different enough from the 'mainstream' to keep you from blitzing through it.

Reactions: Flabort