Is Ore processing and sorting disappearing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Its somewhere i saw, my mistake thinking TE3 added the same recipe. I missed that it was an induction smelter recipe.

Still, its another thing that most people relied on railcraft for that is now handled by TE3. Item pipes, now can make steel. Ive read mod authors on minecraftforum.net posts that get suggestions and say "that is really handled already by XYZ mod so I dont want to just replicate what they did and step on their toes."

I can understand that not every mod author has to do this, but i would also imagine a lot of mod authors love seeing their creation used more often. by replacing other mods with easier options, it draws people to your mods. Like bomb bloke said... the answre is always 'well tis better for server lag'. yeah, right. Fixing server lag now coincides with offering easier options? Big surprise.

As one person said somewhere... give TE3 a quarry type device and a tree farm and you have a stand alone mod. You cant tell me there isnt competition going on here, can you?

It doesnt really matter if TE3 goes for a total conversion type mod idea, but it does suck when people start assuming the easier options from other mods are inferior JUST because they are more expensive. If you put a crafting recipe with coal and iron in the game, over time people will start to think even the TE3 recipe is tedious. Can you tell me its not true? People adjust to what they are playing and suddenly yesterdays 'easy' becomes today's 'tedious'.

Please stop implying TE is easy, it's not. It's got what I'd call "normal" difficulty. By repeating this over and over again you prove you know very little about the mod.

Even if TE was hard I would still use it as it's just because it's more fun and as KL said "It [is] polished".

I see you repeating this opinion over and over again, more aggressively each time. I dare accuse you of trying to be a hipster.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
A basic mod for alteration of recipes (didn't someone mention a mod like that here in this very thread?) and you can do that.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
My issue really is that other packs seem to go from early game to end game in just a week or two of playing. Id just like to stretch that out.

I think I said this earlier. The only difference is that you define as "end game" most people playing and creating the mods actually see as the beginning of the fun portion. I promise you that if you start thinking of it that way, and considering what you can do once you get to that "end game" you'll find that you'll discover a ton of interesting projects and ideas to spend time on.

For example, I'm two weeks into a new server, and I've been playing at least 5 hours a day and all day on weekends. I have a quarry, MFR tree farm, nether lava pump, full suit of MPS with flight and diamond plating, and an ME system with a 5x5x5 MAC. I'm betting that according to your definition, I'm at end game. But I'm not bored yet. From my perspective, I have barely begun to start playing. I still need to set up farms for cotton, wheat and seeds. Then I'll need to make some farms for both animals and mobs. Especially for blazes and endermen, but having a constant source of arrows wouldn't hurt. Maybe I'll try running my steam dynamos on coal from a wither skeleton farm, haven't done that before. And even after I get all that done, I still have more improvements to make. I'd like to eventually have the mob farms automatically turn on when I'm low on that resource and turn back off once I'm topped off. I'd like to make a 3x3 chunk tower with each floor dedicated to a different farm type. Then I'd like to create an elevator system to get me around all the floors. Normally I do some bee breeding, but that's getting old, and I'm on 1.6.4 so I'm going to see what I can do with horses and horse breeding. Along the way, with expansions to my ME system and to my production line, I'll probably end up needing more efficient power, and start figuring out the most compact method of generating some. Maybe I'll experiment with the compression dynamos and see how coal fuel compares to charcoal. I'll probably try the bioreactor and see how efficient it is when fed by the output from crops. Maybe I'll scrap the quarry and get all my resources from laser drills and harvesters on berry bushes. Maybe I'll finally play around with MFFS. Maybe I'll build a wall all around my base out of seared brick, marble and clear glass. Maybe I'll program a turtle to do it. It'll be months before I even scratch the surface of what I'm planning to do, and by then the modpacks will probably be updated to a new version and I'll have to start from the beginning anyway. And if not, I'll think of something else. Back in vanilla, I started building an in game clock out of redstone, but I never got the logic done. Would be nice to see if I can do it with rednet and glowstone lamps. So yeah, there's plenty for me to beyond the "end game."

And hey, if you just really don't find that stuff fun at all, then there's nothing stopping you from just not doing the things that get you to end game in a week. You don't have to build a quarry, or an MFR tree farm. You don't have to make a single Thermal Expansion machine. And by making those choices personally, you'll avoid the problem of getting frustrated when your tinkering and changes don't end up the way you want them to.

Last edited:

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You're confusing ease with intuitiveness. Dirt-To-Diamond exists. It's obviously way way easier. It isn't used. The draw of a mod isn't the ease, it's how it all fits together. If I added a quarry to TE, and it were objectively worse than BC's quarry in every way (used more power, slower, more expensive to build), I guarantee you there would be a lot of people that would prefer it. Not because the BC one is bad, either - it isn't. It's highly optimized, in fact.

Wasn't a certain mutual acquaintance working on a certain texture not long ago...? ;)

Not to sit around being a fanboy, but TE has always had this and it's one of the reasons TE is popular. Your team understands how to make a mod rewarding to progress in.

It's one of the reasons I'm migrating to Thermal Arsenal as my main toolchain. Your tools are pretty good, can be quite good with enchanting, and are pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Edited.

This forum software hates mobile. "Just use tapatalk if you don't like how the javascript for this forum is so heavyweight it makes typing nearly impossible" is sort of like telling someone "Just drink your own pee. if you're thirsty."
Oh, I so hear you, on both counts.

I just wanted to know what you were meaning, being that your posts are typically full of the good stuff.

That, and the omission of one word really did make that kind of word salad, so it seemed an appropriate response.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I always think of this when camping and thirsty. Never quite worked up the mettle to do so.
Bear Grylls is silly. Drinking his own piss? Heh. Here in Canada, when we are lost in the woods, thirsty, we just find a random stream or whatever and drink from it. It's better for us then drinking our own piss, as it doesn't contain our own biological waste.
That being said, we Canadians are never far from fresh, clean water untouched by man if we are outside of the main cities.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Bear Grylls is silly. Drinking his own piss? Heh. Here in Canada, when we are lost in the woods, thirsty, we just find a random stream or whatever and drink from it. It's better for us then drinking our own piss, as it doesn't contain our own biological waste.

... Giardia is real. It sucks. You don't want it.

That being said, we Canadians are never far from fresh, clean water untouched by man if we are outside of the main cities.

Animals poop in that water. All the time. This is a fact.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
Lol but water flows at immense rates ...animal poop is small...percentage wise id take the 0.1% poop ova 100% piss

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Please stop implying TE is easy, it's not. It's got what I'd call "normal" difficulty. By repeating this over and over again you prove you know very little about the mod.

Even if TE was hard I would still use it as it's just because it's more fun and as KL said "It [is] polished".

I see you repeating this opinion over and over again, more aggressively each time. I dare accuse you of trying to be a hipster.

Easy or hard is subjective. Its easier than I would like a mod to be. Ive listed off plenty of things to back up my opinion, but I its my own opinion. Now if you don't mind, I wont tell you not to voice yours... don't tell me not to voice mine. That's fair, isn't it?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Given the couple thousand years spent not boiling our water, I think a little bit of stream water isn't going to kill us.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Given the couple thousand years spent not boiling our water, I think a little bit of stream water isn't going to kill us.

Germ theory of illness, just a fad? YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.[DOUBLEPOST=1389405097][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now if you don't mind, I wont tell you not to voice yours... don't tell me not to voice mine. That's fair, isn't it?

His opinion is that you are wrong and he doesn't like you saying that. You literally just did the thing you said shouldn't be done while complaining that that thing was being done to you.

Just ignore this thread man. The only value left here is watching high school kids pretend germs don't exist to express various bizarre scientific and historical misconceptions.