Is Ore processing and sorting disappearing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MCKerrnel

Jul 29, 2019
yep, and I think you're reading too much into it. He made a comparison to the size of said groups (vocal and silent), he made 0 connections between the actions or beliefs of said group and zorn.

Good Lord. "Reading too much into it"? It was offensive. How can anyone be ok with someone being compared to a terrorist for simply having a differing opinion?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
The whole ultimate thing is nostalgia speaking.

Unhinged was a gregtech modpack. It was also one of the least played FTB pack.

But... did any of you read what I wrote? Unhinged is NOT ultimate, if you think so you are foolish. As i said Unhinged has all of the oldest mods and has a very short mod list. There is no way to know without trying it, but to compare an ultimate type pack to the current packs you would need to use monster or dw20 and add gregtech.... which is what a ton of people do.

After reading this thread you seem like the biggest gregtech fanboy out there.

Is there something wrong with being a fan of gregtech? If not, why say this?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
No, I said if someone made a gregtech type mod with big end game items that required lots of resources and power to make and it was added to a current ftb pack I would bet it would be the most popular.

I did not say a pack I would make.
my apologies for mis reading your post then.

Dont assume im part of a small group. You have no real data and neither do I. You are just part of the vocal MINORITY here on this forum... a few dozen very active posters out of tens of thousands of players. I offer some evidence as to why my feelings might be a common feeling with the popularity of Ultimate, Reddit making its own pack that is really the current ftb packs plus gregtech. Do you have any evidence to back up your assertions? Are you really saying that a couple dozen people here show what the community as a whole enjoys?
It's a general feeling I get from these forums. I've been on them for over a year now (despite what my tag would have you believe) and when I first got here, the general consensus was that Gregtech was the shit, and for someone like me who disliked the entire idea of GT from the start, it was kinda hard to post in any thread regarding GT without being shouted down (a little bit like how you feel now I guess...) However, since the GT/TiCo "war", the feeling seems to have shifted 180, and it seems that GT has become out of style on these forums. You get the occasional fan, such as yourself and Kerrnel and BombBloke, but (and I reitterate that this is just a feeling I get) for the most part, these forums are now in the Anti-Gregtech to Non-Caring end of the spectrum

Is there something wrong with being a fan of gregtech? If not, why say this?
a fan of it? no, not really. It just seems that the people who are most vocal about being a fan of it also tend to be the most arrogant of minecraft players, believing that theirs is the only true path

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
a fan of it? no, not really. It just seems that the people who are most vocal about being a fan of it also tend to be the most arrogant of minecraft players, believing that theirs is the only true path
I would like to mention that this is true of both sides. (And no, this is not aimed at you. Just in general.)

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
This is probably the worst example anyone could have come up with for so many reasons and I find it distasteful. "I'm not comparing people like you to terrorist, but..." Sounds to me like you are. Not even sure where you get that he thinks he's part of large group (he already said his server has four or five people). It's hard to be vocal, let alone heard, when it seems most on this thread seem to shout you down that your opinions are wrong.
Sorry, misworded that, only thing I could think of at the time.
The point is - he's making a lot of noise and claiming to be more powerful than just a single person - he may have people who support him, but they haven't posted it. Look at how many replies one post of him gets, on average. He may not have supporters, but he clearly stands out as someone that brings attention.
Yes, I misworded that badly, yes, I may get hit to the face, but I hope I have corrected what I said to what I meant.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, misworded that, only thing I could think of at the time.
The point is - he's making a lot of noise and claiming to be more powerful than just a single person - he may have people who support him, but they haven't posted it. Look at how many replies one post of him gets, on average. He may not have supporters, but he clearly stands out as someone that brings attention.
Yes, I misworded that badly, yes, I may get hit to the face, but I hope I have corrected what I said to what I meant.
I would say that, here, zorn is a part of the vocal minority. The players of FTB have typically prioritized "cool" over "difficult". In other venues, the reverse is often true.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah because it's SOOOOO different from 1.2.5. View attachment 9107

I've come to agree with you on this point, Dave. I once said that I thought 1.2.5 enabled a lot more creativity, whereas your response was that later versions still allow it. I can understand the "magic block" objection that people have in some cases as well, but I'm realising that the place for creativity to be applied has simply shifted; but that doesn't mean it's not there.

In 1.2.5 and earlier, I felt that creativity was more focused on the single block level. You'd do something crazy like making a lumber mill with pistons and sand, for instance; or with EE2, I'd come up with some crazy multi-block contraption for generating infinite lava. Now, on the other hand, the focus is on being creative with multiple systems.

What this means is that, yes, if you only use a single mod, you're generally going to end up doing things in repetitive and stereotyped ways. However, for ore processing myself, I have a row of ten heat generators from Mekanism, which are initially connected to a basic Energy Cube, which translates that energy into Minecraft Joules, and which is then connected to a Capacitor Bank from Ender IO. My current machines are a Pulverizer from Thermal Expansion, and an Alloy Furnace from Ender IO; and I swap the Pulverizer out with a SAG Mill as needed.

Hence, my point is that where creativity comes in now, for me at least, is creating interactions between different mods, and doing things in unconventional ways via that means; rather than with single blocks, as it was in the past.

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
kind of with CP here. All the processing blocks are now meant to autoeject, and pipes are being made to be very intelligent. To differ with him, thank god they are heading in that direction. BC pipes originally were horrible to work with.

Truthfully, I still make "primitive" BC pipe setups, and the reason why I like it, is because of the degree of control it gives me, over what every pipe does. If I'm using insertion pipes, I can specify exactly how much or how little overflow storage I want. An item duct or other such pipe will simply send an item directly from a macerator to a smelter, but what happens if you don't necessarily want to do that? Instead of item ducts, I'm using an insertion pipe redirected into a chest with hopper, above the smelter. That way, if something goes from the macerator to the smelter which shouldn't be there, I have time to pull it out, without blocking up the whole system. It also means that if I only want to cook something, without macerating it, I just throw it in the chest above the hopper.

Reactions: KirinDave

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Truthfully, I still make "primitive" BC pipe setups, and the reason why I like it, is because of the degree of control it gives me, over what every pipe does. If I'm using insertion pipes, I can specify exactly how much or how little overflow storage I want. An item duct or other such pipe will simply send an item directly from a macerator to a smelter, but what happens if you don't necessarily want to do that? Instead of item ducts, I'm using an insertion pipe redirected into a chest with hopper, above the smelter. That way, if something goes from the macerator to the smelter which shouldn't be there, I have time to pull it out, without blocking up the whole system. It also means that if I only want to cook something, without macerating it, I just throw it in the chest above the hopper.
I try not to use them these days, not because they're primitive, but because corrupt pipes and lines of chunk loaders had a habit of crashing/corrupting our world back in 1.2.5.

I'm glad that the more "concentrated" systems are available these days, purely from a server admin standpoint. Big, complex, spread out systems often looked, and were, awesome, but the server behaves so much better with an ME network with MAC.

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad that the more "concentrated" systems are available these days, purely from a server admin standpoint. Big, complex, spread out systems often looked, and were, awesome, but the server behaves so much better with an ME network with MAC.

I should have clarified. I would never use BC pipes over anything but short distances either. I use them purely for I/O between machines; no more than probably 8 blocks or so, tops. If I want freight, that is what EnderStorage, Mystcraft Portals, or the Nether are for.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I should have clarified. I would never use BC pipes over anything but short distances either. I use them purely for I/O between machines; no more than probably 8 blocks or so, tops. If I want freight, that is what EnderStorage, Mystcraft Portals, or the Nether are for.
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you so much as it was to say that while I don't feel any hostility toward the old systems like some people seem to, I'm a big supporter of using more advanced systems. I'm always yelling at my friend who insists on automating everything with golems. =P

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you so much as it was to say that while I don't feel any hostility toward the old systems like some people seem to, I'm a big supporter of using more advanced systems. I'm always yelling at my friend who insists on automating everything with golems. =P
golems may not be "advanced" in the sense of high tech, but they are the coolest way ever! (also, they're hugely versatily and one of the most powerful means of item transport if you know what you're doing..)

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
golems may not be "advanced" in the sense of high tech, but they are the coolest way ever! (also, they're hugely versatily and one of the most powerful means of item transport if you know what you're doing..)
I don't argue any of that for a second, I was just tired of them crashing the server in Unleashed =P I'm pretty sure they're not the best for lag either.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I don't argue any of that for a second, I was just tired of them crashing the server in Unleashed =P I'm pretty sure they're not the best for lag either.

Never seen any crashing bugs with them but I don't doubt they exist. And as entities, yeah any decent amount of them would affect performance

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Ideally a mod like TE3 that everyone loves should, IMO, have made another tier of machines that gave you ore tripling. But one other thing greg does is he adds a lot of complexity. FUN complexity, for me anyway. Sodium Persulfate requiring lots of steps to fully automate and keep the grinder going? Thats fun for me. Forced me to automate new cells in my system, compressed air, etc. It forced me to automate.

You probably skipped my earlyer post, but running an induction furnace for ore processing using pyrotheum dust/cinnabar is TE3's advanced ore processing. And its not a plop machine down mechanic either. There are alot of ingredients that go into pyrotheum dust and completly automating it will take you days if not weeks. Because part of said automation is going to be a witch farm.

Annyway, point here is: TE3 goes from simple "place and forget" to "complex endgame automation" and it does this without making said endgame automation mandatory or overpowering. IMO, thats one of those things that makes TE3 so good.

Reactions: RedBoss

Redius

Jul 29, 2019

I haven't used them in the newest iteration of FTB, but I used to have a multitude of problems with them disappearing/dying/running off/standing around thumb up keester in the 1.5.2 worlds.

Still....they were cool.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To be honest I've noticed little difference in performance overhead between magic blocks and multi-block mechanisms.
(actually some magic blocks are pretty bad performance wise- if they constantly tick and check every block in radius)

There's little difference between advanced magic and advanced tech. Oh yeah- try making a wooden golem stand on the same block as a torch. ;)
(I'm 50-50 on golems; some upgrades kill a lot of creativity while others foster it.)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Never seen any crashing bugs with them but I don't doubt they exist. And as entities, yeah any decent amount of them would affect performance
It was the jar golems that were notorious for it on our server. The Thaumonomicon wasn't kidding when it said they were evil and plotting to destroy the world.