Is mekanism a must have?

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
There's an obscure config setting for the amount of energy needed to produce Hydrogen. You can drastically lower that. I believe the increase in energy cost is for a not yet implemented feature. So, bit bad on the timing. I need to test that out myself, so that generating fuel for jetpacks is still a viable option, but not as easy as it was before.
All other machines and energy producers have config options for their energy usage/generation. I personally set the wind turbine to half that of a standard solar panel, hit the heat gens with a massive reduction, and doubled the power usage of all machines, and I think x4 the power usage of the digital miner.
You can also use Minetweaker to remove or adjust the recipes to your personal sense of balance.
Oh good. And about the jetpack fuel production, remember that it's also how you get oxygen for the scuba tank. (for people that don't just use morph or have a helmet w/ waterbreathing)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget the universal cables: simple conversion between RF, MJ, Mekanism, and IC2. Its also got the closest thing to old-style RedPower pneumatic pipes we've seen since...well, RedPower back in 1.4.6. The automated I/O is also really handy, kinda like what we see with TE. Plus, the machines actually make NOISE. You have a factory that actually sounds like a bleeding factory!

Reactions: dothrom

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget the universal cables: simple conversion between RF, MJ, Mekanism, and IC2. Its also got the closest thing to old-style RedPower pneumatic pipes we've seen since...well, RedPower back in 1.4.6. The automated I/O is also really handy, kinda like what we see with TE. Plus, the machines actually make NOISE. You have a factory that actually sounds like a bleeding factory!
I'd install mek. JUST for the universal cables. I know some will see them as OP but I think the cost to make them makes it fair. And I know it bypasses things like IC2's voltage tiers. But in packs with a whole bunch of tech mods, having one cable that can connect to just about everything and supports microblocks is awesome. The sounds are cool, and a significant part of why I like rotarycraft. Though I wish they (rotarycraft and mekanism) did have individual-mod volume controls :p

flopflip3_I.20

Jul 29, 2019
I find Mekanism is a really good mod, the electricity and items are useful and simple to use. It'd be a nice mod to add, I would use it, but not a must-have.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'd install mek. JUST for the universal cables. I know some will see them as OP but I think the cost to make them makes it fair. And I know it bypasses things like IC2's voltage tiers. But in packs with a whole bunch of tech mods, having one cable that can connect to just about everything and supports microblocks is awesome. The sounds are cool, and a significant part of why I like rotarycraft. Though I wish they (rotarycraft and mekanism) did have individual-mod volume controls :p
Actually, I believe they do in both cases. At least, I remember seeing config options for volume in their 1.7.10 versions.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yep. Mek has a global volume control. I set it to around 0.25-0.33.

Here's my config, if you want to use it with my tweaks. I've also adjusted the weapon/tool damage stats to not totally outclass every other tool in vanilla/modded environment.

Also, to adjust the power usage for generating hydrogen/oxygen, you adjust:
# THIS DETERMINES ELECTROLYTIC SEPARATOR USAGE
D:HydrogenEnergyDensity=2000.0

I think lower the density, the less energy. This is the default setting.

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Its basically a nicer looking, friendlier version of industrialcraft. Considering that I havent gotten any actual use out of Industrialcraft since 1.4.7 and even then, barely...its a welcome replacement. Best things about it are the jetpack and the ore processing. The jetpack is way cooler looking than the ones in other mods, and not quite such a tedious pain in the butt to make. Im the sort of guy who thinks minecraft should have some fair measure of actual mining and 5x ore processing makes doing it the old fashioned way profitable. Also theres the portable telporter which is very useful. The only problem I have with Mek is that its too easy. Theres at least four different types of free power generators whos output is ridiculously high. Unfortunate because the wind turbines are the only animated power generator aside from BC engines. Ive heard the mods been clumsily nerfed in the recent version, but I think all it needs is some slight tweaking.[DOUBLEPOST=1410891010][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yep. Mek has a global volume control. I set it to around 0.25-0.33.

Here's my config, if you want to use it with my tweaks. I've also adjusted the weapon/tool damage stats to not totally outclass every other tool in vanilla/modded environment.

Also, to adjust the power usage for generating hydrogen/oxygen, you adjust:
# THIS DETERMINES ELECTROLYTIC SEPARATOR USAGE
D:HydrogenEnergyDensity=2000.0

I think lower the density, the less energy. This is the default setting.

Man, its so cool that theres no IDs anymore and people can just share configs now.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Its basically a nicer looking, friendlier version of industrialcraft. Considering that I havent gotten any actual use out of Industrialcraft since 1.4.7 and even then, barely...its a welcome replacement. Best things about it are the jetpack and the ore processing. The jetpack is way cooler looking than the ones in other mods, and not quite such a tedious pain in the butt to make. Im the sort of guy who thinks minecraft should have some fair measure of actual mining and 5x ore processing makes doing it the old fashioned way profitable. Also theres the portable telporter which is very useful. The only problem I have with Mek is that its too easy. Theres at least four different types of free power generators whos output is ridiculously high. Unfortunate because the wind turbines are the only animated power generator aside from BC engines. Ive heard the mods been clumsily nerfed in the recent version, but I think all it needs is some slight tweaking.[DOUBLEPOST=1410891010][/DOUBLEPOST]

Man, its so cool that theres no IDs anymore and people can just share configs now.
Almost, there are still some numerical IDs (potions, biomes), but generally, yeah.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't anyway to reduce how much mek armor shows up on mobs is there? Being jumped by 8 zombies in obsidian armor while I only had an iron sword was not cool.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There isn't anyway to reduce how much mek armor shows up on mobs is there? Being jumped by 8 zombies in obsidian armor while I only had an iron sword was not cool.
Yep, there's a config % chance for that. Although they shouldn't be wearing Obsidian. Just Glowstone, Lapis and Osmium

Reactions: RedBoss

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
It was probably just osmium and lapis. But it mattered little to my iron sword doing 1 point of damage per hit. :(

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It was probably just osmium and lapis. But it mattered little to my iron sword doing 1 point of damage per hit. :(
Look for the following in the config. Reduce the value. I think the default is 0.05 (5%).

tools {

general {
D:MobArmorSpawnRate=0.01
}

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Look for the following in the config. Reduce the value. I think the default is 0.05 (5%).

tools {

general {
D:MobArmorSpawnRate=0.01
}
Wonder if that's new to the 1.7 version (only used 1.6.4 at this moment). I did not see that when I looked through the config. Probably not going to find out 'cause I'm nearly done with my 1.6.4 world and putting my 1.7.10 pack together. Hope to do config diving tonight.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, right, yeah. Most of what I've mentioned is 1.7.10. Not sure, but I think the very latest version of 1.6.4 added configurable Mob Armour rates.

Loke

Jul 29, 2019
Mob armor rate is not new for 1.7.10. I think it has always been there (at least for as long as I have played with it).

Anyway, I would just want to say that Mekanism is a great mod, mainly for it's ore processing. But I personally like to combine it with other tech mods, since I find Mekanism energy production to be pretty lack luster

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I like Mek armor on mobs because it makes them a proper challenge. Even then, its not really a threat if you understand game mechanics.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Honestly I like Mek armor on mobs because it makes them a proper challenge. Even then, its not really a threat if you understand game mechanics.
Yep. I use zombie awareness and a few other "mob enhancement" mobs, so increased number of zombies, which on default settings is an overload of armour wearing mobs. Turns the extra challenge to a grind, especially early game.

ingie

Jul 29, 2019
i'm certainly in the camp of using Mek instead of IC2... it is - as said - just so much cooler...
but do make sure you don't live above your factory, i love the sounds at default, just for the noise... but they are a tad invasive if you're trying to do other things nearby...

and it has balloons! attach a balloon to a pig, tomorrow! [ or start a campaign ]

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why you are trying mechanism then... It's essentially IC2 that runs off RF that has a incredibly powerful automated mining and ore quintupling.
I'm struggling to think of anything that mechanism does that is original, I'm sure there's something but I can't think of it.
I think it's just one of those one up mods that just does what it's predecessors did but better.
Almost no tech mods do anything original. They all mine and process ores, generate power, and give tools. Pretty much every tech mod does that. It is new because they have never played it, not because it does something new. It is new because they won't know how to power level through the mod on day one. It will take some trial and error to figure out.
When IC2 and BC got old,I tried TE, when TE got old, Ender IO was new to me for those reasons. When Ender IO became familiar, I tried Mekanism for that same reason. Recently, I've switched to RoC. Playing world after world with the same tech mods is boring to me because my worlds ended up the same and I started off the same way every time. It's nice to have to figure things out instead of just being on cruise control. New doesn't have to mean new things to do, just new ways of doing them.[DOUBLEPOST=1410947824][/DOUBLEPOST]I like Mek alot, but I do have one gripe with it. When you set up your line of processing machines, even for just the 3 times processing, my FPS drops in half when they are on. Turning off the sound and animations did nothing to help it any. Hopefully the 1.7 version is optimized better.

ingie

Jul 29, 2019
I like Mek alot, but I do have one gripe with it. When you set up your line of processing machines, even for just the 3 times processing, my FPS drops in half when they are on. Turning off the sound and animations did nothing to help it any. Hopefully the 1.7 version is optimized better.

in 1.7 I've just set up my first 4x line... and as soon as the machines started, it did seem to drop in half for me too. [ 30 -> 15 ] - it seems, on quick test, to be the purification chamber that does it... as when i took the shards it was processing out, it went back up... only circumstantial evidence at the moment, so no proof... but i'll do more testing and see [ once the sun comes up and i have more brine :) ]

addendum: hmm, seems to be more convoluted than just that device... i cleared my hydrogen backlog so that i could produce more hydrogen chloride, the processing started again, but with no FPS drop this time... so perhaps it's a combination of network checks in the pressurised tubes and a machine's input check ticks... the case continues...

Last edited: