Is it me, or do some people not "get" that FTB and its mods are free ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
I decided I liked the community, and since I wanted to be more involved not just verbally I enrolled a patreon on a mod Dev. To think if everyone who reaches out to the community for support pitched in a little money to help those that pitch in the content everyone would benefit. The whole oh there's no way I can afford to help argument is silly.
"Famous actors voice"-
For only $5 a month you can help feed a starving developer in a first world country. That's only 16 cents a day.

I think its great the mods are free, but at the sane time just because you aren't being asked for money up front doesn't mean you can help fund the system.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I decided I liked the community, and since I wanted to be more involved not just verbally I enrolled a patreon on a mod Dev. To think if everyone who reaches out to the community for support pitched in a little money to help those that pitch in the content everyone would benefit. The whole oh there's no way I can afford to help argument is silly.
"Famous actors voice"-
For only $5 a month you can help feed a starving developer in a first world country. That's only 16 cents a day.

I think its great the mods are free, but at the sane time just because you aren't being asked for money up front doesn't mean you can help fund the system.
Just because you are in a position to do that doesn't mean everyone else here is. Besides, a good amount of players of modded minecraft are minors who most likely don't have regular independent finances. You are coming across a bit preachy to be honest.

Reactions: trajing

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just because you are in a position to do that doesn't mean everyone else here is. Besides, a good amount of players of modded minecraft are minors who most likely don't have regular independent finances. You are coming across a bit preachy to be honest.
Mostly concur. Folks shouldn't be modding to earn an income. The modding and game development I've done in the past have been purely for my own amusement, and I don't expect remuneration for my efforts. Nobody's forcing me to do it.

That said, respect to those who feel like tossing a dime to someone else who brings them a bit of cheer.

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
I do apologize.
I meant it more to those people who think they are entitled to top notch customer support to keep their business. I do understand some people simply cannot based off circumstances. But there are more people in my shoes who don't do anything that are the people I'm directing my statements too. I just believe that people deserve to get payment for services rendered.

Sometimes joy alone is payment. But being badgered about bugs and issues is frustrating.

Reactions: YX33A and Pyure

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I do apologize.
I meant it more to those people who think they are entitled to top notch customer support to keep their business. I do understand some people simply cannot based off circumstances. But there are more people in my shoes who don't do anything that are the people I'm directing my statements too. I just believe that people deserve to get payment for services rendered.
Fair enough, perhaps I was being a bit mean.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, though this is a necro, I will say what I always say.

Mods are idealized by the modders. They create the mod because they have some envisioning of how they'd like to play MC. Of course, FEEDBACK is necessary to make a mod great, but are the modders liable to listen?

Unless it is purely a popularity contest, there is no reason to consider our opinion. Rather, it is in our best interest to ASK for changes, rather than DEMAND them.

Even then, most of the changes are BALANCING issues, which seem to be the feature of most newer releases of well established packs. Players like me who can engineers systems to efficiency perfection and make obvious the balancing issues, are probably the ones who can contribute the most.

Even then, I don't really care to contribute, because modders do this for fun. Unless I see something game breaking, I'm sure they're doing what they think is best.

So stop bitching, seriously.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I used to volunteer for a learning disability charity few years ago. When one day person who I was supporting told me that they don't like the way I do things and wanted them to be done differently my response wasn't "shut up I do it for free and I will do it the way I like" but I listened and change my ways to suit the person I was doing it for. The same with moders if moders make their work public and available to others they have to be open to feedback and accept that not everyone will like the way they do things. It doesn't mean we hate them or their mod but it means we care about mod enough to be bother to log on forum and voice our opinion about it good or bad. If we didn't care about mod at all we wouldn't bother to say anything.

With all that I respect moders for what they do and even if I don't like parts of mod or changes they make I may criticize the changes but never person and we should all learn to split critic of work from critic of person.

Reactions: YX33A

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
Top Notch.. heh
You know Notch is making bank off Minecraft, but I wouldn't play it if it wasn't for the content added by these mods. So I'd say FTB tops Notch any day of the week. I got Minecraft for free from someone so I could play on his modded server and in turn bought it for two others to do the same. FTB guys didn't get a penny of that but they deserve it. The content on these mod packs vastly out weight the vanilla content.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I used to volunteer for a learning disability charity few years ago. When one day person who I was supporting told me that they don't like the way I do things and wanted them to be done differently my response wasn't "shut up I do it for free and I will do it the way I like" but I listened and change my ways to suit the person I was doing it for. The same with moders if moders make their work public and available to others they have to be open to feedback and accept that not everyone will like the way they do things. It doesn't mean we hate them or their mod but it means we care about mod enough to be bother to log on forum and voice our opinion about it good or bad. If we didn't care about mod at all we wouldn't bother to say anything.

With all that I respect moders for what they do and even if I don't like parts of mod or changes they make I may criticize the changes but never person and we should all learn to split critic of work from critic of person.

The things is, you are assuming that the modders are arrogant and require ego breaking. Arrogant inability is far different than somebody wishing to receive feedback, critical or not. This isn't an MMO filled with arrogant inability ridden people. This is a rather intelligent community, trying to build a game that doesn't necessarily pay back in terms of temporal value-to-monetary value. (i.e. Nobody is getting paid a wage to mod).

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

Agree with you, except that some people can't seem to accept the fact that criticism =/= yelling in their face, and treat modders like robots rather than fellow human beings. You see this a lot with other games as well where a lot of players criticize games in general without thought to the person/people making them.

Reactions: trajing

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
You know Notch is making bank off Minecraft, but I wouldn't play it if it wasn't for the content added by these mods. So I'd say FTB tops Notch any day of the week. I got Minecraft for free from someone so I could play on his modded server and in turn bought it for two others to do the same. FTB guys didn't get a penny of that but they deserve it. The content on these mod packs vastly out weight the vanilla content.
You misunderstood me. In a previous post someone used the term top notch support..
markus understands very well (and allows) that mc is about freedom to do what you want. be it creative building or survival. Modding allows more freedom. Mojang is even working with forge.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Of course I agree that some people are exaggerating with the way they "feedback" but from what it have seen it is fans of that mod who usually feel more offended than actual modders them self. I have seen that in Role Play Game industry and any other industry with strong close relationship between creator and users. Most of the time modder takes criticize on the chin dismisses crap from good advice and makes mod even better. Fans who think mod is perfect take massive offence that anyone dared to say bad word about mod and flame wars take for ever.

At no point I said modders are arrogant and deserve ego breaking frankly quite opposite they work for free for good of community and usauly are down to earth people who will chat with you on the forum.

Reactions: YX33A

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
You misunderstood me. In a previous post someone used the term top notch support..
markus understands very well (and allows) that mc is about freedom to do what you want. be it creative building or survival. Modding allows more freedom. Mojang is even working with forge.
Lol,
No I understood. I just thought it was funny. I agree Markus allowed FTB and such to become something and gave the platform for all this. At the same time while developers may do this for fun, but I don't know anyone in the world who doesn't want to get paid for doing something fun. Heck if Markus didn't want to get paid for his work, Minecraft itself would be free.