Is it hard to use?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
An example of this:

I had a post 2 days ago, actually 2 posts, by the same woman. Demanding a refund because her child at the age of 10 had downloaded FTB, and posted a ticket asking for help with it. Said ticket had been deleted (likely during the last purging of backlog).

The title was:
*****URGENT REFUND REQUIRED my son's support ticket disappeared with no reply NOT HAPPY **********
can I get a refund on my non existant payment because I use MultiMC now and don't use the FTB launcher anymore?

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Not at all, in fact I find it even more efficient than MultiMC, simply because it has a list of disabled mods instead of just deleting them from the list. Not that putting mods back in is any hard, but it takes a few less clicks with FTB's launcher.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
So is this a thread about whether it's hard to use? No, it's not. It's incredibly easy, people are stupid. Ignore the people who can't read an FAQ.
Otherwise, some people have actual problems and you can help said people. Not to be a party pooper, but it seems this thread is more complaining about stupid people.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Another example.
A guy posted a ticket about something not working as intended. I told him this:
You need to post that suggestion in the Launcher feedback section of the forum.
All I do is tech support, I have no hand in the makings of FTB
He responded with:
The thing is, that this is not a suggestion. This is a technical folly, as a member of the tech support dept, it is your duty to report this failure to the appropriated dept to ensure it gets fixed. That is why I submitted a ticket, and not a forums post.

I can't work magic. I'm the ONLY person who logs in daily, and answers a consistent number of tickets. And, I do it for free, because I want to. I'm not even granted the ability to call myself a part of the FTB team, since all I do is the help desk.

And FYI:
I wasn't going to say anything, but sometimes it is nice to have a reminder that they're the exception, rather than the rule. ;)
Fixed It For You ;)

I only made this thread to make sure it's not over complicated. Seems to me my "higher knowledge" and "access to new and wondrous parts of the internet" (because I volunteer on a help desk) have not strayed too far from the truth;)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I think the launcher itself is quite good
But the launcher doesn't have any links to the FTB forums that I have found over playing FTB for a few months, so.. it's not in a very obvious place if it's there. Same goes for a link to the support.feed-the-beast.com

In my opinion, that may help with some people who seem unable to search google for a possible forum.

I think that'd reduce the number of tickets and unnecessary posts you're getting

Edit: on second thought.. that might increase it if they don't bother searching through the forums/knowledge base first..

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Overall, no. I don't think it's overly complicated. I think it's a hell of a lot simpler than other alternatives, like installing mods manually for example.

Even for people that can't/won't do anything complicated with the launcher, it shows the bare minimum of what needs to happen to start playing the game. You need to pick a modpack, and log in. If that's complicated to anyone... then I quit.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I think that'd reduce the number of tickets and unnecessary posts you're getting

Edit: on second thought.. that might increase it if they don't bother searching through the forums/knowledge base first..

I've already accepted that sometimes the desk just needs a purging. Delete everything and start over, until it's too crowded again.
Not the best solution, but when you have to cater to the tender hands of children, it's the best I've come up with.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Generally speaking, UIs should be designed so that a vision-impaired chimpanzee has a good chance of successfully using it.

The best solution is one giant button labeled PLAY that launches whichever pack is most popular and takes up at least 90% (100% is 10% better) of the screen, as this is the thing the monkeys in question are most likely to want to do and odds are they will eventually bash that button if punching the armored touchscreen just outside the cage at random. It should also run at startup automatically. Your fairly large and self-explanatory launch button may seem blindingly obvious to a human or another reasonably clever mammal like a dolphin, but what about an untrained poodle or a Republican voter?

You should also hide all advanced options from your users so that you need a retina scan, two public notaries as witnesses and a secret harmonica code before the program will allow the user to even touch the configs and potentially break something.

Reactions: YX33A

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
My only suggestion would be to make the remember password feature work correctly. Every so often when I load the launcher it'll forget my password and just fill up the password box with a bunch of characters.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Republican voter
Hey! I'm one of those! And I'm relatively intelligent!

My only suggestion would be to make the remember password feature work correctly. Every so often when I load the launcher it'll forget my password and just fill up the password box with a bunch of characters.
It generally only does this when there is a launcher update, or a significant change in the launcher folder contents.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I never said that most of my party didn't qualify as the previous argument (stupid people) :)
The%20Illusion%20of%20Free%20Choice%20democrats%20republicans.jpg

Reactions: DZCreeper

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Well. It seems like my password gets messed up quite often. Every couple days would be a good guess. I haven't messed with the launchers files at all.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Well. It seems like my password gets messed up quite often. Every couple days would be a good guess. I haven't messed with the launchers files at all.
Could be your connection to the mojang servers on log in, or the way the logindata file saves.

I promise it's not a very common problem for the general population!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
There are certain fields of work that make you question the IQ of the entire human species. The three main ones that come to mind are retail, food service, & tech support.

Reactions: Ashzification
Status
Not open for further replies.