Is Feed The Beast Falling Behind?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious on what peoples thoughts are regarding the slow updating of feed the beast. Now that mojang have now released the snapshot for 1.7 minecraft I can only imagine that the 1.7 release would not be too far away from release, and Feed The Beast are as of yet able to give any updates on whether the 1.6.2 versions are going to be available.

For me it just seems there slowly falling further and further behind. I do realise that they have no control of how quick mod developers update there mods. With the new snapshot of 1.7 will this cause most modders to now say oh we will wait till 1.7 is available before we bring our mod out?

I do appreciate the time and effort that all modders are doing and I do realise its quite involved to get it bug free and working right I am not trying to be disrespectful at all just wondering why it feels that the gap between FTB and the current release of Minecraft seems to ever so increase.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
As a modder, I am not waiting for 1.7. Frankly, a snap shot does not harrold a new version quite yet, and updating the mod while everyone else is focussing on releasing for 1.6 (which is almost finished, mind you) would be a bit of a waste.

1.6 isn't too far away. Frankly, you should enjoy 1.5.2 until the mods you want are all done. Sure, you won't get to appreciate the newer mods that are bound to be out for 1.6 already, but it is really up to the user to indicate what they wish.

The updating isn't as difficult as the 1.3 update, where if I remember correctly we had to switch a version. It just takes more time as the mods get bigger, and thus have more stuff they need to fix.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Feed the Beast updates more than often enough for me, I don't know how you can call it "slow". Sure it doesn't keep up with vanilla Minecraft updates, but that is to be expected. Basically if I feel like playing with current vanilla features I will play vanilla. Feed the beast has more than enough content for me so I am in no rush for any updates. :)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, it seems to me not to be an FTB problem, but a Mojang one. They seem to be repeatedly spamming updates, each of which breaks the game backend. I'm aware that they have no reason to consider mods in their dev path, but we are talking about a game that was released proper last year, yet now they are making the major changes.

I'm also aware that modders try their hardest, but, when they're struggling to get a stable version out for one release before the next is pushed, it's a really quite difficult circumstance.

FTB's role in all of this has essentially become a frontend for the mods, meaning that they get a whole whack of complaints from users that X or Y mod isn't available/updated, and the best they can do is to pass it up the chain.

To answer your question, no, I don't think FTB's falling behind. They are keeping on top of the mods, and, when stable versions are released for 1.6.2, such that it keeps the feel for FTB, I'm sure we'll see the normal beta-then-full release system coming into play again. The main issue is that the modding system is struggling to keep up with Mojang, which isn't really saying anything bad about either, but it's just the way things are going. I don't think mods will disappear, I'm sure that things will settle eventually, but, for the moment, that's where we are.

Reactions: Flipz

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
They're reluctant to set up experimental modpacks for the newer versions such as 1.6.2 (and such is the reasoning behind the birth of RR, Automagica, and Soaryn's Ascended), so yes, they are slightly behind in that regard, but otherwise it's up to the mods to update. It's simple. Every mod in a modpack has to update for the modpack to be released. If the mod isn't updated, then the modpack isn't released. (Except in certain cases like Unleashed, where it doesn't have to have all the mods finished)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I think what vanilla version FTB runs on is largely irrelevant. What counts is what mod versions are packaged and what features they offer.

And mind you, this is not saying "vanilla doesn't matter, only mods do". No, what I am saying is that the vanilla version is decided - prescribed even - by the mods that make up the pack. After all, FTB is a modpack, focused on distributing mods. FTB is interested in the features that each mod offers. Thus the modpack team looks at which versions of the various mods are available and what vanilla versions they run on. Then they assemble a group of mods that works well together and offers the largest amount of the most interesting features while all running on the same vanilla version.

Right now, that condition is fulfilled by mods that run on 1.5.2. At some point in the future, enough mods will update that there is a new set of "most interesting features that go well together" that works on a different vanilla version (usually because new vanilla versions make room for new interesting features - see: Blood Magic). Which vanilla version that happens to be, and which vanilla version is the most recent released by Mojang at the time, is ultimately irrelevant to FTB as a whole.

FTB would be "falling behind" if they fail to deliver interesting new mod packages when the opportunity to do so comes and passes. But for now, that opportunity is not yet here. I know this because I've tried making a personal modpack for 1.6.2 just last week, and there's simply too much missing still, and too much in unstable dev releases.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Im playing 1.4.7... it seems to me that the main things im missing out on are mod changes, not anything due to vanilla. Horses? Ok i can go without that. Nether quartz, etc.

Lets say all the mod designers had decided: we are all going to stay with 1.4.7 and add new features to our existing releases, not to new releases. Are there things that the mod community would miss out on, by not updating with mojang? Not that they would want to do this indefinitely, but why couldnt the modding community just update every six months, and not by mojang releases? If mojang is at 1.4 in january, and updates 100 times, the modders just ignore it until June... that becomes the target for modders to update, even if mojang is at version 9999.9 by then, or whatever.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Im playing 1.4.7... it seems to me that the main things im missing out on are mod changes, not anything due to vanilla. Horses? Ok i can go without that. Nether quartz, etc.

Lets say all the mod designers had decided: we are all going to stay with 1.4.7 and add new features to our existing releases, not to new releases. Are there things that the mod community would miss out on, by not updating with mojang? Not that they would want to do this indefinitely, but why couldnt the modding community just update every six months, and not by mojang releases? If mojang is at 1.4 in january, and updates 100 times, the modders just ignore it until June... that becomes the target for modders to update, even if mojang is at version 9999.9 by then, or whatever.

Seriously, these posts are getting a pain.
You look at everything from your point of view as a player and not from anyone elses.
These recent changes (1.6) have been pretty good for modders to work with, I'm not going to lie, I really like how we do textures and stuff now.
Just because YOU dont get things that YOU want, doesnt mean that it isnt easier for the people who give YOU your content to play with.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, these posts are getting a pain.
You look at everything from your point of view as a player and not from anyone elses.
These recent changes (1.6) have been pretty good for modders to work with, I'm not going to lie, I really like how we do textures and stuff now.
Just because YOU dont get things that YOU want, doesnt mean that it isnt easier for the people who give YOU your content to play with.

That is why I ASKED. if its easier for modders, then go ahead and update. Dont attack me for just... asking... why they couldnt just stick with one version. Did you even read my post, or maybe I just phrased it wrong? See all the question marks, where i ASKED why it would matter, if they all just decided not to update?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
That is why I ASKED. if its easier for modders, then go ahead and update. Dont attack me for just... asking... why they couldnt just stick with one version. Did you even read my post, or maybe I just phrased it wrong? See all the question marks, where i ASKED why it would matter, if they all just decided not to update?

They looked exactly like rhetorical questions.
Like you were been sarcastic and telling us what we should do.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019

I suppose they could do that. Would require a lot of coordination though. Are you willing to try and contact every mod author and coordinate when and how they update their mods?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
They looked exactly like rhetorical questions.
Like you were been sarcastic and telling us what we should do.

You are putting a 'tone' into my posts. They were serious questions. Why couldnt they just not update? What issues would it cause? I was just asking, really. I could see with all the snide remarks that i see on these forums though, why you would take it that way. Ill easily admit i know nothing about programming, was just trying to offer an idea that ... who knows... might take off and save people time and effort. Just trying to contribute, etc. [DOUBLEPOST=1378819379][/DOUBLEPOST]
I suppose they could do that. Would require a lot of coordination though. Are you willing to try and contact every mod author and coordinate when and how they update their mods?

Apparently modders like updating to the new versions, if so, ignore my questions. I thought it might be easier for modders to update less frequently, as I assumed the only reason they did was to get new features in the core minecraft game, like horses, etc.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
You are putting a 'tone' into my posts. They were serious questions. Why couldnt they just not update? What issues would it cause? I was just asking, really. I could see with all the snide remarks that i see on these forums though, why you would take it that way. Ill easily admit i know nothing about programming, was just trying to offer an idea that ... who knows... might take off and save people time and effort. Just trying to contribute, etc. [DOUBLEPOST=1378819379][/DOUBLEPOST]

Apparently modders like updating to the new versions, if so, ignore my questions. I thought it might be easier for modders to update less frequently, as I assumed the only reason they did was to get new features in the core minecraft game, like horses, etc.

Whenever i have read posts you have said previously, they were usually aggressive and sometimes sarcastic.
It's not hard to presume from those posts that you were being like that yet again.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Here is my two cents.... I do believe Mojang is making progress toward the modding API. That is the reason for a lot of the back end changes. You have to keep in mind they are taking an existing game and adding an API after the fact. So it is going to take time. But the steps I've seen so far seem to going in the right direction. On the other hand they keep adding things to the game. Some are good, some I could care less about. Mojang takes months to write and release a new version of minecraft,. Likewise, it takes months for all of the mods to get updated. And the moders really can't start until Forge is updated as well. At this point there is still a lot of major mods that are still in the dev cycle (like IC2 and TC). So until the major mods are finished we will not see a pack from FTB.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever i have read posts you have said previously, they were usually aggressive and sometimes sarcastic.
It's not hard to presume from those posts that you were being like that yet again.

Can you remember any of those threads, and link me to one? I know i get defensive being attacked for defending gregtech. I had a mod say i was unfair for telling people 'go play creative mode' when people argued they did not want tedious aspects in the game. My post ASKED people 'why do you not play creative'. I was asking people to think to themselves, why they enjoyed survival vs creative. I was arguing that we ALL enjoy tedium, just to different degrees.

But I was lumped in with PAST arguments where people got nasty and said 'go play creative then'. I could be wrong, maybe im coming across wrong or am more aggressive than i think i am. If so, sorry. In my defense... text/forums/letters are often misconstrued, when you can't hear the person's voice and read their body language.

Lastly, do you think id waste 10 mintues of my time trying to explain to you that I am not a jackass, if I really was one? :)

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I dont want to get into an argument.
I'm just going to ignore that this all happened.
Been a good weekend (apart from being ill) and i want to keep it like that.

Reactions: zorn

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my two cents.... I do believe Mojang is making progress toward the modding API. That is the reason for a lot of the back end changes. You have to keep in mind they are taking an existing game and adding an API after the fact. So it is going to take time. But the steps I've seen so far seem to going in the right direction. On the other hand they keep adding things to the game. Some are good, some I could care less about. Mojang takes months to write and release a new version of minecraft,. Likewise, it takes months for all of the mods to get updated. And the moders really can't start until Forge is updated as well. At this point there is still a lot of major mods that are still in the dev cycle (like IC2 and TC). So until the major mods are finished we will not see a pack from FTB.

I agree from what I've been hearing they are moving pretty strong in the API/easy update/speed improvements direction. So they are definitely listening to the modding community. It's just not going to happen overnight and some of the changes are going to be painful to do the first time such as moving resources. Meanwhile they can't ignore the vanilla players and do updates without something cool for them, so they have been adding stuff. In the modding scene we often forget that we aren't the center of the Minecraft world. Currently they are juggling a few balls in the air and IMHO are doing the best they can with the resources they have.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well personally, I have not updated from 1.4.7 simply because my attachment to my world is greater than the intrigue into what the new updates would provide. I want to finish this world before I move on. It is not like I am lacking any content/things to do and won't for a while. I spent a good amount of time on this world and would like to see it to the end.

The arguments over updating is simple. Do you love your world more than you think you'll love the new features? How much do you give into hype? Some people don't create this attachment, rather they are interested in content, thus new content is much more exciting than seeing an old world through. Some people don't even think that far forward. There are also those whom play in groups and the value in playing together outweighs the attachment to the world.

Opinions regarding not updating are so personal, so biased and so subjective, they aren't worth mentioning. Statements regarding those whom choose not to update are pointless as well.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Lot of people seem to forget moders a lot of the time are code students that start when they have time on there hands & wish to do something with there new found skills, this is great for games like MC as java seems to be one of the easer codes to learn, then later on when the final year or two looms & the real works begins these coders are left with little if any time on there hands to keep there mod or mods updated, this is not the case for all moders of course but for a large part it is, the more mature modders have jobs & family that require most of there time, then there are the cases of moder burn out the guys & gals that produce insane amounts of work in short bursts then go awal until the coding bug bites again.

None of this is cut & dry people have lives, families, school/collage, work commitments & I for one am happy to wait for the updated mods to filter down as & when they are ready, if any one feels that these people are working too slow for the good of the game or a pack in particular they should get off there backside & learn java, then make & constantly update a mod of there own.

I lack the skill & time to do what these people have done & have nothing but praise for there work, even tho I may not agree with or even like some moders, they give there time & skills to make something that adds a lot to a game I enjoy, so many people are so fast to jump on a band wagon like we have seen with RP & some other mods, most of us can talk about it all day but who among us can do the job, & never forget one of the main reasons for the need for constant updated is due to mojang & it constant need to break mods with each new version, this may be some what fixed with the new api but that api looks so limiting that most all of the bigger mods would be crippled, forge still is the defacto.

One last point & one I my self am pursuing atm, (1.6.2 multi mod skyblock) if your mod pack has not updated with the speed you desire make your own 1.6.2 mod pack.

PS I have not been commenting a lot of late due to work & to other factors one being I was a little ashamed of my behavior during the last greg thing, & to the staff, sympathies go to Morva & family at this hard time, sry to see Jaded move on, gz to the new staff & new hats for some staff.

"edit" PPS if anything I would be more concerned about the lack of any ftb challange map since 125, the last one was mini & some what rushed map, the normal excuse is that mods/MC versions are updating, or various comments of that sort, if thats the case then we will never see a new ftb challenge map as there is no foreseeable change from mojang...

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Opinions regarding not updating are so personal, so biased and so subjective, they aren't worth mentioning. Statements regarding those whom choose not to update are pointless as well.

Google said:
fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/

Noun
  1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  2. An Internet message board.

The fact that a discussion or statement involves personal reasons or opinions does not make it pointless, they are discussion points. The fact that arguments might not be able to persuade you away from your current opinion does not make the discussion pointless, the exchange of information and opinions should be welcomed regardless of the form or source.
Personally, I prefer to keep on top of updates, and tend not to get too attached to worlds. I find that each mod tends to have it's own "curve" that it intends for playstyles, and I enjoy playing through them, and seeing what the mod intends me to see.