Irony

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I find it ironic that the majority of Minecraft servers require you to use some sort of voip to chat while you game but when you go to schools/work people are ignoring each other and playing with their phones.

It's unfortunate that people require voip to game, they are likely missing out on meeting some cool people.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer typing rather than talking. My wife hates hearing me talk minecraft. We spend time sometimes gaming. She plays skyrim and I play minecraft. VOIP can distract. I don't need it. Although I find it's the younger players tend to demand the voip, in my experience.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, minecraft servers use voice chat now?

I mean, some have Vent servers community can use, but I have never seen one require it.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
No I don't think it's like the server but all the time people post "looking for player" and add on the must have voice thing at the end

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Psychicash, I always figured I was too OG for that stuff... guess I'm not the only one.

And no the servers don't come with it but it seems everyone uses TS, Skype, Mumble, or some other voip program.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Psychicash, I always figured I was too OG for that stuff... guess I'm not the only one.

And no the servers don't come with it but it seems everyone uses TS, Skype, Mumble, or some other voip program.
Of course they don't come with it, but a requirement seems silly. Makes sense for Dota or maybe CSGO, not Minecraft.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use voice chat, mainly because I don't like talking to people without an ulterior motive.

Also, I don't like not knowing who is saying what. So I tend to avoid VoIPs

Reactions: Hambeau

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't use voice chat, mainly because I don't like talking to people without an ulterior motive.

Same here, except I don't need an ulterior motive... I just hate talking with people I can't see. I hate phones, for the same reason.

All non-visual forms of communications provide leeway for people to act inappropriately because of anonymity. On-line forums even suffer from this to an extent :D

[Edit] I used to play an MMO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) that came out of the box (I still have the box and CD :D) with built-in voice chat.

It was acceptable since it was limited to at most 12 people when running a raid. The talker's name would highlight in the player status window, letting you know who was talking.

The main problem was those who didn't use Push to Talk (PTT) and insisted on eating/drinking rudely and/or cranking their stereo up to share "the bestest music in all the world"

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

If its a small server of friends (or even friends of friends), the "Who said that?" mentality goes away quickly. You recognize their voices as if you were talking to them in a room with your eyes closed. Since you know them personally, people don't tend to act overly inappropriately, as you can find them and punch their face if they do.

So far as larger, public servers? My mother taught me not to talk to strangers. And you'll likely not find stranger people than those who willingly hang out there.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
And you'll likely not find stranger people than those who willingly hang out there.
Hence why I avoid them

The main problem was those who didn't use Push to Talk (PTT) and insisted on eating/drinking rudely and/or cranking their stereo up to share "the bestest music in all the world"
That's my problem. I would happily use something in game, but I am not a massive fan of PTT as I use all my "easily accessible" buttons in some games*, or I talk and forget to press the button altogether.

*I use mouse btn 5 (which is just under my thumb) for TS, which is fine for games like Minecraft, as I never use that button there. But in games, mainly ones that have weapons, where there are a lot more buttons to bind, I will use MB5 and MB6 for other things (games with guns, I will use MB5 for melee, and MB6 for grenade)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I never prevented typers from joining my servers but I made it quite clear that getting my attention by MC chat might result in being ignored both unintentionally and otherwise.
It's like in an office; you can shoot an Email off for a query but don't expext it to be replied to promptly. A phone call is less ignorable because phones have to be loud (unless it has a mute feature or risk termination by unplugging it)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Overwolf actually fixes the latter issue if you use TS, and Mumble has a built-in overlay for some games in the same way.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Overwolf actually fixes the latter issue if you use TS, and Mumble has a built-in overlay for some games in the same way.
yeah, but overwolf is annoying for other reasons... I uninstalled it, but I can't remember why. However, I did like the TS chat feature thing