Irony with Numb3rs and FTB

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Blackholegod

Jul 29, 2019
I was watch Numb3rs a great show and i was about to play FTB on me and my friends server then then it popped up

Np is not in p

But thing is yes it is. p has an out come of every possibility but yeah being a smart alick right now but wow weird minecraft is watching me on my computer..
irony.jpg

Blackholegod

Jul 29, 2019
hey it was weird guess jeb watches numb3rs[DOUBLEPOST=1361883860][/DOUBLEPOST]the real equation is p vs np it the code that will answer anything most know of code of internet to hack anything u want

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I was watch Numb3rs a great show and i was about to play FTB on me and my friends server then then it popped up

Np is not in p

But thing is yes it is. p has an out come of every possibility but yeah being a smart alick right now but wow weird minecraft is watching me on my computer.

The "is NP in P or not" problem is one of Notch's favorite math problems. I think he even wrote a blog post about it. The line of text you saw was added to the random start quotes shortly before he stepped down from active Minecraft development. If you are curious as to what he was thinking, shoot him a tweet, there's a non-zero chance he'll reply since the topic is of interest to him.

Reactions: Whovian

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, for the average mathematician, it's pretty lovely.
Sure may be that way for a mathematician. But you have to admit, sometimes the math sounds a bit .. forced .. into the story. I mean, yeah, there definitely IS amazing stuff math can do (and profilers probably use quite some of that), but some of the deductions they achieve are rather.. fantastic. At least in my book. ;) Granted, I am not a mathematician at all, but I prefer crime series that leave me in a position to go online, google a bit and find in depth explanation of the "real" side of things that were used in the series. Say, dna, fingerprints or pathology. I'm fine with a tad bit of "freedom". But for me, Numb3rs stretches the reality a bit too far. Though, that may occur to me, because I am not a mathematician. Still - somewhat weak writing coupled with all of the above makes the series less enjoyable for me. ;)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Come to think of it, the whole concept of Bayesian filters in that one episode was a little unnecessary, the fundamental concept was the same as "rule out the people who couldn't have done it."

Though I will say how true the line which went something along the lines of, "Are you crazy? You can't go out with her, she's a number theorist!" was.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
It probably is a matter of taste. *heh* I literally hate math. So that's not a good start to begin with. On the other hand, I quite like for example "Lie to me", though any psychologist probably could tell me how many exaggerations THEY used. ;) Or, concerning exaggerations, any crime series. But hey - if I wanted to have reality tv, I'd get me a cop as a friend and read his report papers. In the end, it's for entertainment values, not bonds in real life.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care if it's real or not... I watched half of 1 episode and was bored half to death so I didn't go back to it.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Alright I have no idea what the show is about (I don't watch TV that much and they don't air every american show here), but they definitely did not invent the P versus NP problem. It's one of the greatest problems of mathematics and computer science for over a century. "NP is not in P" is one of the possible answers, but nobody knows if it's the right one yet.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Hence my reference to the Nobel price. On top, if it was THAT easy to solve this problem (as Blackholegod made it look), this would not be considered a problem in the first place - or the other way round, there would already BE a mathematician that would have earned said price. What I mean is, most of those that replied are well aware that you cannot simply go and say "Duh, yes it is. Now let's get some coffee!" and call it a day. Or in other words, blackholegods' statement made him look rather... dull.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
A minor thing to point out is that P=NP definitely isn't a Nobel Prize, I seem to remember the Nobel Prize is considered pretty easy compared to the Millennium Problems.
Well, all the better - then the Nobel Prize at LEAST it shall be! To the blackboard! *cue batman interlude theme* ;)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wait. P=NP apparently isn't a Millennium Problem.

EDIT: Wait, it is. I just managed to miss it while looking through the list on Wikipedia.