Iron farms in FTB Infinity?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Been googling for about a half hour and I'm not seeing anything. I'm getting to the point where I need quite a bit of iron for everything, and would like to set up an iron farm before I completely run out. Obviously a quarry would work, but it's kind of slow. Is there anything that's not sticking out to me to automate iron generation?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Iron Berry Bushes, Iron Golem Farm and Bees would be the ones I would use if you don't want to quarry it.

Edit: I was snipped on the Golem farm

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Bees here I come. On one hand I'm sad they got rid of the easier automation ways, on the other, I haven't ever used bees before, so should be fun.

Reactions: asb3pe

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
...I haven't ever used bees before, so should be fun.
Ermahgerd, you haven't lived XD
They're fun. They're kinda complex and slow, but definitely a lot of fun. :D
I've never gotten very far, though; there was always one kind of bee I needed to get further, and it's a bit slow to get going. I never got past the infernal bees. :p

Reactions: mattp_12

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Come to think of it, a mining laser with a bunch of brown focuses is probably the best. Unfortunately, if iron is something you actually need, a mining laser *probably* isn't inside your budget... XD

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah haha always meant to get started with bees but never did. Hasn't been working for me because I can't find a tutorial that isn't like a year and a half old and it's all so confusing to get started. I suppose I may as well get a quarry up and running. I literally have more diamonds lying around than I do iron at this point...

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on your level of ethic, you can convert 5 iron to 5 steel/refined iron. craft 2 minecarts and melt them in a tico smeltery for 10 irons. I'd say it's a dupe glitch. But there is no real easy steel conversion in my pack. I'd say if you automate it correclty, you deserve the first few thousand iron ingots it produce. :D

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on your level of ethic, you can convert 5 iron to 5 steel/refined iron. craft 2 minecarts and melt them in a tico smeltery for 10 irons. I'd say it's a dupe glitch. But there is no real easy steel conversion in my pack. I'd say if you automate it correclty, you deserve the first few thousand iron ingots it produce. :D
Haha, usually I have a pretty loose set of ethics in the first world I play in a pack, but I have about twenty iron at this point and this is after I went on a three hour mining trip earlier, so I'm tired of mining for now, so I can't set up any of the existing iron->steel conversion things quite yet.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
oh wait... mine at level 30. make an early ore doubling. (puverizer, sag mill or tico smeltery) use the first 4 block of metal you find to craft a tool forge. Make a stone hammer upgraded with a diamond with it. Now you have something decent to mine.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have to vote oreberry bushes. I bought two from the first village I passed through, and it made life much easier while I got other things set up. I made a dark room with a MFR Harvester pointed at it, then added more bushes as I found them. A RFTools Crafter handled all of the berry to ingot conversions except Aluminum (as you have to smelt the berries into nuggets or use a smeltery) until my ME took over. Passive iron output for minimal effort and/or hassle.

Edit: Don't let this in any way dissuade you from Bees if you've not played with them.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Also, with Gendustry the bees aren't that tedious. Just use the advanced mutatron to get your breeding pairs. And even though you will be using gendustry still watch GenerikB's videos about the breeding process. That process hasn't changed even though the genetic machines have.

PastorBones

Jul 29, 2019
You can use RFTools or Mystcraft (bleh) to generate an iron world and then with a quarry or even a simple hammer you'll be swimming in iron in no time!

Sent from my TM785CH using Tapatalk

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
You can use RFTools or Mystcraft (bleh) to generate an iron world and then with a quarry or even a simple hammer you'll be swimming in iron in no time!

Sent from my TM785CH using Tapatalk
... I just hope you have 128 spare blocks of iron or iron ore, 'cuz you'll need those first, not to mention the requirements for the machines themselves. Don't forget the reactor you'll need to power the thing, either. :p
RFT/Mystcraft are both great, but you kinda need a well established resource supply before you can use either one to really get a ton of resources, which is on purpose, as it would be overpowered otherwise.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, two easy iron farms in Infinity:
-- EnderIO powered spawner with an Iron golem soul or a Twilight Forest Carminite Golem spawner as the base.
-- Portal gun allows you to move spawners. Simply place a Twilight Forest Carminite Golem spawner on Extra Utilities Cursed earth for a powerless "powered" spawner. Or Just use a Jabba Diamond Dolly to move the spawner. Note that the Portal gun can't let you move the spawner cross dimensionals. I also couldn't find out if the Blood Magic Teleposer can move spawners cross dimension.

Gamedin

Jul 29, 2019
I have an iron farm set up that for fun:
a vanilla iron golem farm
Tinker's Construct smeltery as a killer (with vacuum chest + auto liquid drain out)
blood magic ritual of regeneration
set project red timer to kill and regen

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
... I just hope you have 128 spare blocks of iron or iron ore, 'cuz you'll need those first, not to mention the requirements for the machines themselves. Don't forget the reactor you'll need to power the thing, either. :p
RFT/Mystcraft are both great, but you kinda need a well established resource supply before you can use either one to really get a ton of resources, which is on purpose, as it would be overpowered otherwise.

Or you can just make random worlds until you get a flat one that is made entirely out of iron blocks :)

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft is probably a good solution. Make some random ages, find and empty the library + hidden chest (note the coordinates), make a new age, go to the coordinates, loot the library, repeat until you get the iron ore page.

I made a world that has iron ore spheres, and it isn't that bad debuff-wise (only mining fatigue).