Iron farms in FTB Infinity?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft is probably a good solution. Make some random ages, find and empty the library + hidden chest (note the coordinates), make a new age, go to the coordinates, loot the library, repeat until you get the iron ore page.

I made a world that has iron ore spheres, and it isn't that bad debuff-wise (only mining fatigue).
*coughs* RFTools because screw instability

Molten Iron lakes, with Iron Block terrain gen... and just for the giggles, iron golems naturally spawning

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I got my initial supply of iron in Infinity by making an EnderQuarry and a BigReactor. Even at the slowest speed, it just takes some time. If you're able to start the quarry running and then go AFK, you'll have more iron than you'll ever need. I've even gone so far in my SSP worlds to start the Quarry and then go to bed for the night. LOL SMP is the best, because your quarry will run 24/7 no matter if you're at work, at school, or asleep.

You'll end up with more Yellorium than you can use (for the BigReactor) so keep up-sizing your Reactor so you can run the EnderQuarry at faster and faster speeds. Make the 3x Speed Upgrade for it when you have 25K RF/t power supply, and build your entire world out of iron blocks. :D

But I also did bees too in my Infinity world, all using Genetics (Binnies mods) only - no Gendustry. I consider myself an expert on that subject, so if you have questions just ask. Bees are very time consuming so you need to use optimal strategy for your breeding (and it will still take forever LOL). I simply refuse to take the Gendustry shortcut, I'm stubborn like that. :)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Zombies drop iron occasionally. Just a thought.

The number of zombies one would need to spawn to make them a potential iron farm would be astronomical. Sure, they drop ingots on occasion, but that is a far cry from a farm.

I got my iron in Infinity by making an EnderQuarry and a BigReactor. Even at the slowest speed, it just takes some time. If you're able to start the quarry running and then go AFK, you'll have more iron than you'll ever need. I've even gone so far in my SSP worlds to start the Quarry and then go to bed for the night. LOL SMP is the best, because your quarry will run 24/7 no matter if you're at work, at school, or asleep.

You'll end up with more Yellorium than you can use (for the BigReactor) so keep up-sizing your Reactor so you can run the EnderQuarry at faster and faster speeds. Make the 3x Speed Upgrade for it when you have 25K RF/t power supply, and build your entire world out of iron blocks. :D

Quarry is not farming. It is quarrying.

Oreberry bushes, golem spawn traps, Carminite Golem Spawner on Cursed Earth, Draconic Evolution Soul of Golem on a Stabilized Spawner, Golem being healed constantly while dying slowly in a a smeltery, etc. These are iron farms. Hell, even a TC metallum essentia farm counts. Digging them out of the ground doesn't, even if you are afk while it happens.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The number of zombies one would need to spawn to make them a potential iron farm would be astronomical. Sure, they drop ingots on occasion, but that is a far cry from a farm.

Quarry is not farming. It is quarrying.

Oreberry bushes, golem spawn traps, Carminite Golem Spawner on Cursed Earth, Draconic Evolution Soul of Golem on a Stabilized Spawner, Golem being healed constantly while dying slowly in a a smeltery, etc. These are iron farms. Hell, even a TC metallum essentia farm counts. Digging them out of the ground doesn't, even if you are afk while it happens.
Thing is, though, the amount of zombies that spawn naturally and the amount of spawners for zombies is very high, plus they occasionally drop other resources of value, not to mention almost anything they drop has uses in modded minecraft as a power source, either raw or processed.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, though, the amount of zombies that spawn naturally and the amount of spawners for zombies is very high, plus they occasionally drop other resources of value, not to mention almost anything they drop has uses in modded minecraft as a power source, either raw or processed.
Or you can just make blocks of flesh and build a lovely mansion out of them ;)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can just make blocks of flesh and build a lovely mansion out of them ;)
*Squelch Squelch Squelch*
They really DON'T drop enough iron, though... An optimized zombie spawner of any kind just can't make enough iron. You'd have maybe a stack after a couple gameplay periods, but that isn't really enough with tech mods. :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
*Squelch Squelch Squelch*
They really DON'T drop enough iron, though... An optimized zombie spawner of any kind just can't make enough iron. You'd have maybe a stack after a couple gameplay periods, but that isn't really enough with tech mods. :p
Then make your own tech mods, which use ink sacs, and lilly pads!

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I just scrolled through this, and nobody mentioned carbonite golems from twilight forest. As far as I know they still drop iron when you use MFR or (maybe) EnderIO. Correct me if i'm wrong because i'd like to know:p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

In my prison complex, I have a zombie spawner sitting on a block of Cursed Earth. The clean up is being handled by a MFR Grinder. This system runs 24/7, and the amount of iron collected by it is minimal. I feel like I get more iron from reprocessing iron armor drops (from this and my skeleton spawner) than I do in straight ingot drops.

I will admit though, the gold armor from zombies and skeletons does add up to quite a few blocks. Of course, you have to have a crafting system in place to combine them up to full durability before you can put then through a smeltery, but it was a fun project to build.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I just scrolled through this, and nobody mentioned carbonite golems from twilight forest. As far as I know they still drop iron when you use MFR or (maybe) EnderIO. Correct me if i'm wrong because i'd like to know:p
Yes they did ;)
-snip-

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
mm house out of flesh.. why not? Not like rotten flesh is useful :) *scampers*
Actually, rotten flesh is pretty nice for the Deconstructor thingy from Thaumcraft - the one that gives you research points. The blocks of rotten flesh have a large amount of compound aspects on them, so you get an aspect *almost* every time you deconstruct one.
From a lore perspective, though, that's pretty gross; I mean, you'd be an EXPERT on giant blocks of flesh after a while. :p

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, rotten flesh is pretty nice for the Deconstructor thingy from Thaumcraft - the one that gives you research points. The blocks of rotten flesh have a large amount of compound aspects on them, so you get an aspect *almost* every time you deconstruct one.
From a lore perspective, though, that's pretty gross; I mean, you'd be an EXPERT on giant blocks of flesh after a while. :p
crafting tables brah, always get a research point ;)

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
as said crafting tables are usually better, when i need those points I personally never have a grinder set up so crafting tables are my go to thing. andonce i am set up enough to use mob grinders I am all done with research. though tbh i dont use much thaumcraft. mostly for warding the walls around my nuke reactors.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
as said crafting tables are usually better, when i need those points I personally never have a grinder set up so crafting tables are my go to thing. andonce i am set up enough to use mob grinders I am all done with research. though tbh i dont use much thaumcraft. mostly for warding the walls around my nuke reactors.
Or wither traps ;)

But seriously, who actually DOES research nowadays? Cheat sheet master race :p

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
crafting tables brah, always get a research point ;)
Huh. I've never heard about the crafting tables... Thanks for that. :p
Or wither traps ;)

But seriously, who actually DOES research nowadays? Cheat sheet master race :p
Hey man, I *like* research, ok? :p

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
you like the research? oO I always use the research planner web page thingy, I hate the research these days. But at the same time the cheat sheet makes it too easy, (Must be the gregtech lover in me that loves to punish myself)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
you like the research? oO I always use the research planner web page thingy, I hate the research these days. But at the same time the cheat sheet makes it too easy, (Must be the gregtech lover in me that loves to punish myself)
I totally love the research. I don't know what the current status is, but I really liked the original minigame in TC4. It made research fun; not challenging, but worth my time. It really truly seemed like a puzzle to me every time, even revisiting old researches in new worlds. I never consulted "aspect bridges" or whatever (although I did occasionally look up the combo for an aspect I couldn't figure out how to make :p).

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, once you got trough several time. The thaumcraft research minigame is faster to just do it then to alt tab to look for an answer. And if you do it right, you can make it better then the research helper I found on the net.

Speaking of thaumcraft, I might sound like an old disk but a botania orechid + alchemy.
The orchedid produce ore, the alchemy allow you to transform any metal into any other (except gold which is a pain to mass produc).