IP

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
This more of generell server help needed, but you guys can probably help me with that.
I allways running a server for a few friends but need to send them allways the latest ip address so they can join, is their a way to change that?

Jet

Nakamura2828

Jul 29, 2019
Make use of a Dynamic DNS service to point a (sub)domain to your dynamic IP. Those services will either provide an application, or you can set up your router to auto update the link. I use DynDNS.org which works really well, but I think I'm grandfathered into a free plan they don't offer anymore.

EDIT: It looks like there is a list of applicable services and a breakdown of their features here.

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
btw can i trust those programms, never heared or used such a thing, is their a good guide on how to install that stuff too?

Nakamura2828

Jul 29, 2019
All these services do is give you a name to point to your IP, and a means to tell them when your IP changes to allow them to update their records. That way your friends and you would only need to remember that name. The application they would provide (or your router, if it can be configured to) would simply tell them when your IP changes automatically so that you wouldn't need to do it yourself.

If you Google "setting up dynamic dns" you will get a number of step by step directions, but unfortunately almost all of them are from a few years ago and seem to use DynDNS (which as I stated above is unfortunately no longer free). The steps will be very similar with any of the other Dynamic DNS providers though. As for trusting them, I had no problems trusting DynDNS and they have served me well, and I can think of no reason these other services wouldn't be the same. I would suggest a free service since they are readily available, and as such you aren't trusting them with or risking any financial information. All they really have from you is your IP address, and they won't know or care what exactly you are using it for. Most people use Dynamic DNS to host services from their home desktop like remote desktop or FTP or other types of personal remote access. It's not like they would publish it publically so people can join your Minecraft server or anything like that. They won't open you up to hacking to any greater degree than you already are (security needs maintained on your side and is the same with a domain, subdomain, or raw IP).

Setting up your router is a slightly more advanced task, but if your router is capable, likely pretty easy. The exact steps would depend on what router you have though. If you happen to use the open source DD-WRT firmware that is compatible with a fair number of routers (this is what I use), it's as simple as just selecting your Dynamic DNS service provider, and entering your credentials with them (username, password, domain). The router will take care of the rest. Most routers would be similar.

Nakamura2828

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I just tried signing up to see what was going on, and I received the email almost immediately, but it went straight to the spam folder in my gmail account. You might want to check that.

After verifying, signing up for a subdomain was very straightforward, basically choose a name, pick a domain for it to be under (their options are a bit odder than DynDNS' were, but "dnsd.me" isn't too bad), and then give them your initial IP to hook the subdomain up to.

The update application they offer is here: https://www.dnsdynamic.org/WinDNSdynamic.php, and basically consists of a little application that will periodically check your IP and update the service if needed. The also offer the typical API that your router can use to update things on its own. I just checked with my DD-WRT router, and although it's not one of the default services to select in the dropdown, you have the option of setting up a "custom" service, and the information dnsdynamic provides you will fit right in place there.

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
ok ty very much i will try that :)[DOUBLEPOST=1360950807][/DOUBLEPOST]i try my googlemail, guess its because my yahoo account its wiered sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.