Introducing the Erebus

Do you like where this is going?

• I do, indeed.

Votes: 29 85.3%
  • I can't be bothered with it.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No, I dislike it (please tell me why).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Erebus? What's that? Is it edible?

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
I understand what you are trying to say, and you have a point, but by only giving permission to well-established packs that have a certain kind of base quality, the Erebus always has a good home. Sure, there are many people out there that can produce a proper modpack, and I am one of those people, but these packs have already proven that they are worthwhile. As I said, permission will be given if I want to, so if a modpack gains in popularity and I know it is a good one, I might just put them on the list.

If I might be so rude to ask, why do you make such a big deal out of this? Were you planning to assemble a pack using the Erebus, and were you thrown off when you read the modpack policy?
No worries that is not rude at all, I was planning to test/play the mod today and perhaps put it on my server-pack if my players want it as it gives a good alternative place to explore instead of the regular-ol Twilight Forest. However, this pack will be going public soon (technically it already is) via the Technic Platform, so that is where the problem lies for me regarding this and a couple of other mods' that I have on the mod list.

Regards,
MomoNasty

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
What could this be? If you guess right, I'll make you a sandwhich!

Bd8pl95CUAAkDwo.png:large

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Feed the Beast has full permission to use the Erebus, so if they want to include it, they are free to do that!

Just to clarify this, do you mean only the first party FTB Team assembled/maintained default modpacks on the FTB Launcher or do you also include third party maintained modpacks accessible on the FTB Launcher by publicly available code (3rd party public packs)?

From what I gather, you're trying to avoid Erebus just ending up in every "all the things" kind of pack out there, which I can definitely respect. It's not every day that a mod comes along that provides an entire dimension full of stuff. Yet that can make it difficult to do something like gate all technology behind a dimension filled with various creepy crawlies, as a part of designing a pack, when such is only available after a public release and subsequent approval.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify this, do you mean only the first party FTB Team assembled/maintained default modpacks on the FTB Launcher or do you also include third party maintained modpacks accessible on the FTB Launcher by publicly available code (3rd party public packs)?

From what I gather, you're trying to avoid Erebus just ending up in every "all the things" kind of pack out there, which I can definitely respect. It's not every day that a mod comes along that provides an entire dimension full of stuff. Yet that can make it difficult to do something like gate all technology behind a dimension filled with various creepy crawlies, as a part of designing a pack, when such is only available after a public release and subsequent approval.

It is somewhat like iChun's permission for usage in FTB packs: if you have a public FTB pack, and FTB has permission to include it, go ahead.

Exactly that, I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from :3. I think the Erebus can be fit into almost any modpack, as it provides the necessary mod support for some of the major mods. What do you actually mean with the last sentence? I love complex sentences, but I don't fully understand it. Feel so stupid now :{.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
It is somewhat like iChun's permission for usage in FTB packs: if you have a public FTB pack, and FTB has permission to include it, go ahead.

Exactly that, I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from :3. I think the Erebus can be fit into almost any modpack, as it provides the necessary mod support for some of the major mods. What do you actually mean with the last sentence? I love complex sentences, but I don't fully understand it. Feel so stupid now :{.

Well I guess I better get on sending in the pack then, hah.

As to that last, complex sentence; I mean that your support of ore dictionary ores like copper, tin, etc regardless of whether or not another mod has registered them allows one to disable ALL overworld generation in various mods' configs, thus requiring players to enter Erebus to obtain them. It's a unique feature that I've not seen anywhere else.

As a specific example, Thermal Expansion's Pulverizer requires copper in its recipe. If copper is disabled in Thermal expansion worldgen and enabled in Erebus, the player has to visit Erebus before being able to craft a Pulverizer.

Yet if I built a pack around this idea (which I basically did), but couldn't release it with Erebus included until it got approval, which wouldn't be granted until it was well known/popular, my head would explode in a glorious spray of catch-22. But it seems resolved if I simply submit the pack to FTB. @u@

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Well I guess I better get on sending in the pack then, hah.

As to that last, complex sentence; I mean that your support of ore dictionary ores like copper, tin, etc regardless of whether or not another mod has registered them allows one to disable ALL overworld generation in various mods' configs, thus requiring players to enter Erebus to obtain them. It's a unique feature that I've not seen anywhere else.

As a specific example, Thermal Expansion's Pulverizer requires copper in its recipe. If copper is disabled in Thermal expansion worldgen and enabled in Erebus, the player has to visit Erebus before being able to craft a Pulverizer.

Yet if I built a pack around this idea (which I basically did), but couldn't release it with Erebus included until it got approval, which wouldn't be granted until it was well known/popular, my head would explode in a glorious spray of catch-22. But it seems resolved if I simply submit the pack to FTB. @u@

Wow, never actually thought about that... but you are right, you could centre a whole technological era around the Erebus. Using Metallurgy configs, you can also migrate all ores to the Twilight Forest for example, but it is a really great idea :3.

If you manage to submit this, ofcourse very hardcore pack, to the FTB launcher, you are free to use it. If you can't, just tell me, I'm sure I could free up a place in my heart (and on the list) for such an original idea.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, never actually thought about that... but you are right, you could centre a whole technological era around the Erebus. Using Metallurgy configs, you can also migrate all ores to the Twilight Forest for example, but it is a really great idea :3.

If you manage to submit this, ofcourse very hardcore pack, to the FTB launcher, you are free to use it. If you can't, just tell me, I'm sure I could free up a place in my heart (and on the list) for such an original idea.

I had thought about metallurgy and had tried it out awhile back when everything was still up in the air, but it just didn't work for what I was trying to do. I'm glad you like the idea. I just need to get some art settled and it should be good to go :D

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Quickly tested this (as in creative mode flying around), just to check everything looks "right".

Firstly, the portal activator took a few attempts on the portal to activate it.
World gen looks very interesting, lots of unusual blocks to discover.
Don't know if it's because I'm in creative, but didn't see any spiders while flying around. Plenty of bees, butterflies, maggots, etc. Err, wait, as I'm writing this I might have been in peaceful mode....

One thing though, I think the world gen needs some spider webs. With the missing spiders I didn't get a sense that the dimension was for the arachnids.

On the worldgen, even though I have all the extra ores disabled, because I'm using custom world gen from CoFHCore I do get those ores and other mod ores (AM2 was noticable) generate in the few bits of normal stone. Not a big deal. This dimension isn't really for mining.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Quickly tested this (as in creative mode flying around), just to check everything looks "right".

Firstly, the portal activator took a few attempts on the portal to activate it.
World gen looks very interesting, lots of unusual blocks to discover.
Don't know if it's because I'm in creative, but didn't see any spiders while flying around. Plenty of bees, butterflies, maggots, etc. Err, wait, as I'm writing this I might have been in peaceful mode....

One thing though, I think the world gen needs some spider webs. With the missing spiders I didn't get a sense that the dimension was for the arachnids.

On the worldgen, even though I have all the extra ores disabled, because I'm using custom world gen from CoFHCore I do get those ores and other mod ores (AM2 was noticable) generate in the few bits of normal stone. Not a big deal. This dimension isn't really for mining.

Remember to activate it on one of the two bottom blocks! Should always work...

With the addition of the Scytodes (Spitting Spider) in 0.1.2, your world will be filled with webs soon enough. Seems like it would be useless worldgen to me because of that.

I'm going to try to push out a config update one time which will make ores configurable and provide you with enough options to configure everything that isn't directly affecting gameplay.

Last edited:

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
After ignoring this post for a long, long time, I decided to resuscitate it. Posted a summary of the plans for the 0.2.x branch and other goodness. Pretty sexy I suppose.

Reactions: Golrith

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe abit late on the suggestions bandwagon, but I hope the loot is substantial. The twilight forest, while cool, its loot was vastly underwhelming, by the time you could beat those mobs, the loot was useless (aside from the heads). And please also make the bosses hard to beat.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe abit late on the suggestions bandwagon, but I hope the loot is substantial. The twilight forest, while cool, its loot was vastly underwhelming, by the time you could beat those mobs, the loot was useless (aside from the heads). And please also make the bosses hard to beat.

The loot will not be underwhelming... I hope at least. Loot will require a lot of work, and I currently have no sense of direction for it. Various loot items will however be required to ''fuel'' other mechanics of the mod (Royal Jelly/Princess Grub for bee farming, Wand of Animation in a mad science temple-lab-dungeon-thing), and as such will prove their worth if you get into those. We will also try to include a variety of fun weapons and other cool items that will do stuff. And things.

The bosses will range from ''killable in full iron'' to ''holy shit my heavily enchanted diamond suit does not protect me at all''. The one boss that is currently finished has a bunch of health, about three or four different attacks it can use, and provides a challenge when going solo in enchanted Diamond armour. I believe it can be beaten in full iron, but that requires a lot of running away (ranged weapons don't work on it, and it is lethal when you get close to it). It requires both tactics and good preparation. That boss and the related dungeon will probably not be added until the 1.7 update, however.

Reactions: RedBoss

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
I first saw this mod several months ago and thought I would give it a try, I'm really glad I did. This mod has quickly become one of my favorite dimension mods and I would recommend to anyone who hasn't already, to give this mod a try. It makes for a great mid-late game dimension, that has plenty see. My server is currently testing this mod in our modpack and all of us think it's a great addition.

I would really like to know in what direction are you going the dungeons. I for one think it would cool if you had some Aztec/Mayan themed ruins that people could explore.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
I first saw this mod several months ago and thought I would give it a try, I'm really glad I did. This mod has quickly become one of my favorite dimension mods and I would recommend to anyone who hasn't already, to give this mod a try. It makes for a great mid-late game dimension, that has plenty see. My server is currently testing this mod in our modpack and all of us think it's a great addition.

I would really like to know in what direction are you going the dungeons. I for one think it would cool if you had some Aztec/Mayan themed ruins that people could explore.

The Aztec/Mayan cultures are indeed what we will be basing most ruins on, with a splash of Roman and Greek architecture possibly. You will find minor structures such as abandoned watchtowers, shrines and vaults, but... I am sorry, I cannot continue without spoiling, hehe. Anyway, at least one of the major dungeons will very heavily resemble Aztec pyramids (THAT I do not mind spoiling ;)).

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
This looks awesome :3
I want to give it a try but have very limited play time till end of school :( will try it asap!