Insane Lag with High end Dedicated Server

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
Heyah folks,

I recently set up a new server for a group of friends and I to play FTBs new Monster modpack (5 or so people)

The issue we're having is the typical jittering/lag/rubberbanding/etc that you'd expect on a low end VPS.... Not on the beast I have set up.

Here's all the details on the machine, and the avg tick info, as well as any other info I'd hope you'd need..

I'm kind of at a loss as far as what the issue is, I'd have thought even with the mod packs extreme amount of mods the system could handle 2 - 3 people on it at a time..

dashboard view of everything: http://screencast.com/t/naC0CV5Nyo

The ServerStart.bat syntax:

"\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -d64 -Xms6024m -Xmx16024m -XX:permSize=1024m -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar
pause

I tried with 2G, 6G, 128m permsize (gets fatal errors at that point)

Not sure what else to do here....

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
oh, some more info, that server (minecraft) was less than 20 minutes old, so no machinery, etc etc.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Do you use the client on the same computer as the server?[DOUBLEPOST=1395340589][/DOUBLEPOST]Also your internet looks really slow from the screenshot? Can you do a speedtest and post the results?

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
no, not logging into it from the server itself, the only thing on the machine is the FTB server, the client is running on my own local machine.

Speed test results from the server itself:

Download Speed: 62771 kbps (7846.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 50498 kbps (6312.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

its on a 1000Mbit port, naturally i dont think speakeasy.net is going to let me test that high ;P

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Alright then. This is strange. Your memory usage and CPU usage is really not that bad. I hear running without the GUI helps performance, but I'm not sure if it will in this case. You can try it though. Have you run an Opis profile yet?

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
I only ran the gui so i could see the avg tick time.

and I dont know what a opis profile is.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Enable Opis on your client(and make sure it and mobius core are on the server), then log onto the server and do /opis_start. Wait until it says its done, then do /opis_te. This will show you a list of the most laggiest tile entities. If any are above 300, then get rid of them. You can also do /opis_chunk to find laggy chunks, or /opis_ent to find laggy entities. You can teleport to the entity/tile entity causing lag by double clicking on the entity/tile entity in the list. For teleporting to laggy chunks(Red=super laggy), hover over the chunk, then press T. Keep pressing enter through the little screens it pops up and it'll teleport you there.

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
seems to be lagging whenever it loads chunks, even when there's nothing in it to load other than the default generation.

I've tried this locally on my machine in single player and the lag is the same

is it something in mc 1.6.2 ? or FTB monster ?

opis makes sense but what does not is the fact that its a brand spanking new world, shouldnt be anything for me to delete other than maybe a sheep or two.

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
erm.. if you mean hard drive, then yes, pretty sure all computers need hard drives ;P

Redruzerkruzer

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using HDD or SSD? If you are using HDD that could very well be your problem. Modpacks do not run very good when using HDDs due to the amount of chunk updates needed per tick. It will cause massive tps drops and would include massive block lag.

Due to the amount of space you have, i assume it is HDD. In this case, you need to either get a server with SSDs, or run a bukkit server instead of modpacks.

Also, your cpu gh/z is very low. You should try to get that over 3Gh/z if you can.

Reactions: Wagon153

Goshen

Jul 29, 2019
This is caused in part by Atg, disable this mod and your chunk generation speed will improve and it will get rid if the freeze lag you may experience.

Next set a world border and pre-generate all of the chunks, there is a way to do this with a mod, I use mcpc and install world border then use it's fill command, I generate all chunks before I let anyone loose on the world.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
HDD and SSD won't make a difference at all other then chunk generation speeding up with SSDs. (Experience not speculation) though the CPU speed is very low and is your problem, 2.1 ghz isn't enough for minecraft and I would doubt the source that told you that this was a high end dedicated server, unless you actually tell us what CPU it is then I'll assume it is a bad one for minecraft at least.

siddic

Jul 29, 2019
welp! i ditched the current provider and ended up getting an SSD cloud server, working like a charm...

then i ran into a buffer overflow issue the moment we go into the rainbow forest, so i removed ATG and it seems to have fixed it for now, but no choppiness.

so far so good!

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
welp! i ditched the current provider and ended up getting an SSD cloud server, working like a charm...

then i ran into a buffer overflow issue the moment we go into the rainbow forest, so i removed ATG and it seems to have fixed it for now, but no choppiness.

so far so good!
Bold move with a cloud server, let me know how that works out please :)

Goshen

Jul 29, 2019
I have avoided cloud servers because they usually only have 2ghz perhaps your provider has faster speeds?

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I have avoided cloud servers because they usually only have 2ghz perhaps your provider has faster speeds?
Exactly my point though cloud servers are very intresting and performance can vary greatly so I'm interested to see how this goes.