Infinite pack: light sources

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Stigma311

Jul 29, 2019
Hello folks

Question for everyone . How do you lighted up your bases. I always used wrath lamps as light sources. But the mod is not part of this pack. Any suggestions for me

So ....

Thanks in advance

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Hello folks

Question for everyone . How do you lighted up your bases. I always used wrath lamps as light sources. But the mod is not part of this pack. Any suggestions for me

So ....

Thanks in advance

Early on, I used torches spammed everywhere. After I got my Witch farm running full tilt, I began using glowstone microblocks. If you color the glowstone before you saw it up, you can blend it in to your aesthetics as crown moulding or a chair rail. I've made some neat lighting fixtures with microblocks as well. What's nice as well is a single glowstone block can be cut up into a ton of small parts, each of which emits light as if it were a full block.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I neat little trick if you want nice looking builds but also want to be fully in control of light levels, is to hide Torches behind microblock Covers(With FMP Torches are multipart compatible so they will exist in the same block as the cover).

I like to put lamps(from various mods) in places where they look good, but often this means that they don't provide any light at all. So I use the torch/Cover trick below/around/above/whatever the lamps to simulate the light cone it would produce.

Example:
sGF3ksW.png

I build "Search lights" on the walls and then hid torches under microblock "Grass Cover"s to produce the light cones.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
The Arcane Lamp is also nice. Plonk it down and forget about it. :)

I don't like the arcane lamp in most cases because it eliminates all shadows in a huge radius and I usually prefer the contrast of light and shadow. Thats why I like Magnum torches. I can light my base up however I please and still be safe from monsters.

Reactions: DriftinFool and rhn

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the arcane lamp in most cases because it eliminates all shadows in a huge radius and I usually prefer the contrast of light and shadow. Thats why I like Magnum torches. I can light my base up however I please and still be safe from monsters.
Huh. The radius isn't *that* big, and if you put it in an open area it doesn't eliminate ALL shadows. The slightly darker areas between the invisible light sources are still there.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if Carpenter's Blocks work as intended now, but adding glowstone dust to a Carpenter's Block with a texture added should emit light. This was bugged in an early version of Infinity (1.3 and below for sure) so that it did emit light, but that light wouldn't stop monster spawns. If that's been fixed, it would be an excellent way to add lighting to your builds.

Reactions: RedBoss

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Oh I also believe that is is possible to "paint" blocks with glowstone in the new version(1.7.10) of EIOs Painting Machine. But honestly easier to just use the microblock trick instead IMO than have to bother with multiple kinds painted and non-painted blocks. If you are semi serious about building you would probably be carrying various microblocks anyway :p

Last edited:

Pixxlationn

Jul 29, 2019
I like to paint glowstone from the Painter in EnderIo with another block I want to use in my building, if torches don't fit in with the theme with the building, or any other light sources.

Reactions: GreenZombie

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Depends on size of room, and whether I want continuous lighting or not. If I'm never going to be there, and just want a constant light to prevent mobs, I like the Arcane Lamp. If I'm going to have it in area with a Magnum torch, or just want it to look cool, I like redstone controllable lights.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing you can do is if you have a ton of resources, you can convert your entire structure into light-emitting blocks.

For example, in my world I am building my houses out of MFR Large Glowstone Bricks (for basements I use EnderIO exchanger to place the large glowstone bricks, but TC Equal Trade can also be used). One glowstone block gets you two of these blocks.

Of course, you need a ton of glowstone, so it's definitely not the best option if you don't have a good source of glowstone and don't feel like walking/flying around the Nether mining all of the glowstone. I ended up sourcing almost all of my glowstone from silk touched blocks from the Nether along with Botania's redstone to glowstone transmutation (early game Botania, although for the amount of glowstone you need for an entire house you will need good mana infrastructure). The redstone comes from my Ender Quarry. There is also a trickle from my cursed earth farm (Witches) but it's negligible.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing you can do is if you have a ton of resources, you can convert your entire structure into light-emitting blocks.

For example, in my world I am building my houses out of MFR Large Glowstone Bricks (for basements I use EnderIO exchanger to place the large glowstone bricks, but TC Equal Trade can also be used). One glowstone block gets you two of these blocks.

Of course, you need a ton of glowstone, so it's definitely not the best option if you don't have a good source of glowstone and don't feel like walking/flying around the Nether mining all of the glowstone. I ended up sourcing almost all of my glowstone from silk touched blocks from the Nether along with Botania's redstone to glowstone transmutation (early game Botania, although for the amount of glowstone you need for an entire house you will need good mana infrastructure). The redstone comes from my Ender Quarry. There is also a trickle from my cursed earth farm (Witches) but it's negligible.

Move a Witch Spawner or two onto that Cursed Earth. You'll be swimming in redstone and glowstone before long. If you place it up 4-5 blocks from your killing floor, they will have just enough time to pull out a potion to heal themselves (dropping the potion as part of their loot). Drop those into a Potion Generator to power your whole operation..

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I also believe that is is possible to "paint" blocks with glowstone in the new version(1.7.10) of EIOs Painting Machine. But honestly easier to just use the microblock trick instead IMO than have to bother with multiple kinds painted and non-painted blocks. If you are semi serious about building you would probably be carrying various microblocks anyway :p

Thats why I love the crafting bag from a particular backpacks mod, (portable crafting with built in storage) mine is always full of microblocks.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
There is also the sigil of the blood lamp (or whatever it is called) from blood magic, which add "invisible" light sources that emit a few particles.
Or we could go old school vanilla... glowstone... but that sucks, so chop it up into nooks, and use the glowstone nooks to light up the place ;)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Or we could go old school vanilla... glowstone... but that sucks, so chop it up into nooks, and use the glowstone nooks to light up the place ;)
Use Chisel to turn it into better looking/more fitting variants first ;) Then you can use the microblocks to build light fixtures etc. instead of just using nooks.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The flat Ztones lamps work well and can be crafted as light gray and near invisible. I've also been trying out the lumiuk lamps from TE since you can get strips and nooks.