Infinite Dyes / Lapiz

Magnox

Jul 29, 2019
Guys I'm currently testing a system that in the DW20 Pack creates infinite Lapiz, going to leave for a few hours on my server to see how slow.

The though came to me when I noticed Dyed wool can be pulverised for a 25% chance to get the Dye back.

I don't know what mod adds 1 dye, to dye 8 wool but you might see where this is going.

Cyclic Assembler (One Lapis, 8 Wool - to 8 Blue Wool) --> Pulveriser -(Secondary to Chest)->Cyclic Assembler (4 String to Wool) ---> Chest - Translocator Supplying 64 Lapis and 8 Wool to Forst Cyclic Assembler.

After typing this post I have a profit of 58 Lapis, I'm assuming this can be done with all the dyes! But thought it was neat Idea all it requires is Power, so its not early game, but I've started it to test to see if I could create a system for dyes so I can build nicely coloured things without having to harvest flowers etc.

All you would need is a setup like this with all the 16 Dyes, perhaps 16 of each dye to start it all off.

Edit. PS this works on White Wool also, giving an infinite supply of Bonemeal, great for MFR Industrail Fert, and then convert it 1:1 with Forestry Fert, no need to worry about mining Apatite.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be easier just to make a shearing machine for blue sheep? You'd get 100% profit instead of using dyes to recraft the wool.

Lemming is also aware of this and will be patched soon.

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be easier just to make a shearing machine for blue sheep? You'd get 100% profit instead of using dyes to recraft the wool.

Lemming is also aware of this and will be patched soon.

yes, you can use the autonomous activators to automatically sheer the sheep, so it's a full thermal expansion build

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
I assume he'll lower it to a 12.5% chance and make it a gain-less* system and in the case of white wool, remove the bonemeal chance altogether?
(*excluding really lucky RNG)

Edit: Guess I'll ask it here, is there any mod (bar EE3) that allows large-scale production of dyes for cosmetic purposes?

I'm getting a little ticked-off that every mod I know seems to view the farming of dyes akin to devil worship and strips out any way to reliably make more of the stuff. I like having things of different colours. Is it so much to ask for a way to manufacture my colour of choice on a large scale?

Am I stuck with Project Red trees (which are subject to the whims of the RNG gods as to whether I can find the 6 primary colours I need) and Autonomous Activator farms? The fact that they're not registered as saplings for any kind of automation is very irritating.

Last edited:

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the colors are available from flowers and you can automate flower farms even in vanilla. It does require bone meal, but that should be the least troublesome resource.

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
That is both unreliable as you're completely at the mercy of the RNG and it's a heavy drain on bonemeal.

Last edited:

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
It also only works on a few colors, depending on your exact setup of mods. I only get red & yellow, for example, with the bonemeal on grass method. Leaves me out of luck if I want blue, although black (ink), brown (cocoa) and green (cactus) aren't terrible to get large amounts. I REALLY wish that Natura's bluebell flower would spawn from bonemeal, since that can be used for blue dye. Actually, yes, Blue is the only major color that can't be farmed to some extent. Really want Bluebells to spawn from bonemeal.

Reactions: RedBoss

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Any of the "flower" dyes are very easy to get large scale (well not very easy it requires some setup but once running you will be able to dye your world) bees + Steves Carts lawnmower attachment, it is still RNG based but given the range of a standard bee house, 9x9, with the range of a lawnmower, 15x15, it is fairly easy to set up a large area to mow. I was going to use it to feed an MFR bioreactor but decided against that and did something else however for merely coloring thingys it should provide an ample supply.

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could set up a Blue-Dye treefarm powered by a single solar panel
How?

Which tree? ProjRed? They don't work with any form of automated tree farm as they're not registered as a viable sapling type for MFR, Forestry and Steve's Carts; nor are the leaves.

Which farm? If it's ProjRed's sapling, then which farm supports them?

---

@WTFFFS, thanks but I'm trying to stay as far away from bees as possible as I find them as irritating as it's possible for a mod to be in minecraft; reliance on RNG for success, tedious and self-indulgent crafting and a very slow climb towards anything useful. If it turns out that bees are the only reliable way to get a specific dye (and even then, must rely on the whims of random numbers for the right flowers to grow) I think there's an opening in the market for a mod to make it possible.

Last edited:

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
It also only works on a few colors, depending on your exact setup of mods. I only get red & yellow, for example, with the bonemeal on grass method. Leaves me out of luck if I want blue, although black (ink), brown (cocoa) and green (cactus) aren't terrible to get large amounts. I REALLY wish that Natura's bluebell flower would spawn from bonemeal, since that can be used for blue dye. Actually, yes, Blue is the only major color that can't be farmed to some extent. Really want Bluebells to spawn from bonemeal.

Blue isn't too hard to collect though. It's just lapis, and your automining setup should produce a decent amount of the stuff.

However, the "auto-dye" factory is something new that I'll have to try out later. Been working on designing one for bonemeal, but I never even thought about doing it for all the other dyes too.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
How?

Which tree? ProjRed? They don't work with any form of automated tree farm as they're not registered as a viable sapling type for MFR, Forestry and Steve's Carts; nor are the leaves.

Which farm? If it's ProjRed's sapling, then which farm supports them?
Nup, the one from the DyeTrees mod by Reika.

Edit: Also I guarantee just on basic principle that Turtles can farm Projred trees.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Nanolathe: dye farming is one of the primary things that brought me to Magical Crops. You need a separate plant for Lapis, but you can set up your first few Dye seeds with almost no investment, and they can make most of the colors (including ink sacs). Automation is available from TC4 golems.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Is everyone here forgetting that you can plant roses/dandelions as IC2 crops? You can breed through pretty much every color.
IC2 crop system ticks me off, if only because they STILL break when you walk over them. Every time I try to get into crossbreeding, it's a big patience game (worse than bees IMO, I like bees) and I accidentally break them a bunch.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Is everyone here forgetting that you can plant roses/dandelions as IC2 crops? You can breed through pretty much every color.

Oh, that's intriguing. I never really got into the IC2 crop breeding stuff, but if they make a viable source of constant dyes I might try that out.

As an alternative farming method, you could also try setting up a bunch of automated apiaries next to an MFR harvester with upgrades. As the bees spread flowers the MFR harvester will collect em all. I ended up getting a bunch of flowers when I set up the infrastructure for my farms, but hadn't had time to put down the plants.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 crop system ticks me off, if only because they STILL break when you walk over them. Every time I try to get into crossbreeding, it's a big patience game (worse than bees IMO, I like bees) and I accidentally break them a bunch.
Never had that problem. I've just slap them down and walk over them like nobodies business.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Golems handle Project Red trees fine (though the leaves still decay slowly rather than the accelerated rate so they are not at 100%) Autonomous Activators can plant\bonemeal and harvest them as well (have to put an axe in one activator) just a couple things I just tried can probably find more :)
You could use the sand\piston\block breaker original Redpower style treefarm quite easily as well.

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
It's the leaves decaying too slowly that's a problem. I suppose I could create a fully contained area with vacuum hoppers to collect the saplings before they despawn.

I'll take a look at Magic Crops, IC2 crops and DyeTrees, but I've had problems adding mods to RR before.
:(

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
It's the leaves decaying too slowly that's a problem. I suppose I could create a fully contained area with vacuum hoppers to collect the saplings before they despawn.

I'll take a look at Magic Crops, IC2 crops and DyeTrees, but I've had problems adding mods to RR before.
:(
IC2 crops isn't an addon. It's part of IC2.