Infinite Charcoal power?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
That's with survivalist generators? I only generally use those for very early power and maybe powering low demand devices, like BC pumps.
Why wouldn't you just use redstone engines to run a pump. 3 are enough to run one at a decent speed.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I was doing that when BC had just switched to RF and Redstone engines weren't working with pumps.
Didn't know that there was a time that that feature was broken. I guess you learn something everyday.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't know that there was a time that that feature was broken. I guess you learn something everyday.
Ya, there was (I think) one version where it wouldn't work. If you poke around on YouTube you can find a bunch of early videos with some very confused Youtubers going "Wait, when did that stop working?!"

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Ya, there was (I think) one version where it wouldn't work. If you poke around on YouTube you can find a bunch of early videos with some very confused Youtubers going "Wait, when did that stop working?!"

Well, I am lucky for missing that as I almost only use homebrew modpacks,I can already see me updating all the mods and removing almost all of them just to find the darn mod that causes it not to work.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I am lucky for missing that as I almost only use homebrew modpacks,I can already see me updating all the mods and removing almost all of them just to find the darn mod that causes it not to work.
The funny part is that I first ran into it in an instance where I had Gregtech, and a really out of date version of BC. For about half an hour I was convinced that BC had somehow been Greg'd. Nope. Just turns out he made lava buckets hurt you when you carry them.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The funny part is that I first ran into it in an instance where I had Gregtech, and a really out of date version of BC. For about half an hour I was convinced that BC had somehow been Greg'd. Nope. Just turns out he made lava buckets hurt you when you carry them.

Well, it does make sense that lava in a bucket would hurt. If not for the fact that the bucket doesn't melt that is.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
MFR is a bit OP in my opinion for the Tree farm but I can´t help me but use it all the times.

MFR Harvester without any upgrade.
Use Jungel Wood Saplings. (Grow high low Leave count)

Then 1 set of Sewer(1 craft = 4 Sewers) and put 4 cows on it. Connect them to a Composter and this one to a fertilizer which is pointing on a 2x2 Sapling field planted by the Planter.

Connect everything to some furnaces that turn Wood to charcoal and then burn it for power.
You will get so much charcoal overflow that you are settled down for a lot of RC 36 HT Boilers J

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
That's with survivalist generators? I only generally use those for very early power and maybe powering low demand devices, like BC pumps.
Well because the descripition said they are really cost efficient I planned on using them, because I'm all for efficiency. I'm the guy who gathers items for smelting by multiplies of 8 so I don't waste my coal.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
And the more posts I read the more I have the feeling that I am the only one that uses advanced generators.
Why use boilers if you can use syngas for a nice 100rf/t per gas turbine. I am not entirely sure about the efficiency though but if you have a wood farm going than that is not really a problem.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
And the more posts I read the more I have the feeling that I am the only one that uses advanced generators.
Why use boilers if you can use syngas for a nice 100rf/t per gas turbine. I am not entirely sure about the efficiency though but if you have a wood farm going than that is not really a problem.

What is Syngas? I would be happy to not use this damn Railcraft Boilers

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
it comes from the mod advanced generators.
This mod gives modular multiblocks for the production of steam, syngas or power. It can produce both eu and rf and as it is a multiblock it can do both at the same time if you want.

I currently have a setup where I pump lava from the nether and use a heat exchanger to make steam and obsidian from said lava.
The steam is then used in a steam turbine generator with 2 turbines. Each turbine will produce a maximum of 80rf/t.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
This mod gives modular multiblocks for the production of steam, syngas or power. It can produce both eu and rf and as it is a multiblock it can do both at the same time if you want.

I currently have a setup where I pump lava from the nether and use a heat exchanger to make steam and obsidian from said lava.
The steam is then used in a steam turbine generator with 2 turbines. Each turbine will produce a maximum of 80rf/t.
I'm a fan of the mechanics of advanced generators, but the recipes are a little bit too cheap for me. If I was including it in my pack, I'd want to go to town with Minetweaker to integrate and progression gate it with Gregtech and RotaryCraft before including it. I love the concept though.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019

You ever tried ot add it to infinity? :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I'm a fan of the mechanics of advanced generators, but the recipes are a little bit too cheap for me. If I was including it in my pack, I'd want to go to town with Minetweaker to integrate and progression gate it with Gregtech and RotaryCraft before including it. I love the concept though.

In my pack iron is used for so much, I can't teleport liquids so I had to use minecrafts to get the lava out of the nether and the only way to get iron in an automated way is though industrial craft and only then in not so big amounts. also chuncloaders need iron.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
In my pack iron is used for so much, I can't teleport liquids so I had to use minecrafts to get the lava out of the nether and the only way to get iron in an automated way is though industrial craft and only then in not so big amounts. also chuncloaders need iron.
Fair. My main issue would be that I want players to have to go through the process of getting a GT power plant set up before jumping straight in. Mostly because those things generate an obscene amount of power.

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I'm not using is advanced generators is because for me it was easier and cleaner to just use the DW20 pack and disable mods that I wouldn't use at all and because they'rer already put together well enough I didn't want to add mods on top of it that could mess it up, and now that I have a save it's even less likely that I would add a new mod. The only mod I did add was Optifine, because I love the options and the FPS boost. Also I've never heard of it before now.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Well because the descripition said they are really cost efficient I planned on using them, because I'm all for efficiency. I'm the guy who gathers items for smelting by multiplies of 8 so I don't waste my coal.
They are super efficient yeah, but they are also super slow. A single survivalist generator isn't enough to power anything full speed. I did say earlier you'd 50 of them for the harvester and planter and then it just becomes way expensive to pipe all the fuel in them and pipe the RF out. You can "upgrade" them with some extra stuff, slap 8 together with a transfer node (energy) and you get a generator that is basically 8 times faster. You can do that once more for x64. One of those should do the job if you really really want the efficiency. Otherwise 6 or 7 furnace generators would do it.

HSIkMy

Jul 29, 2019
Use the wood to feed 3 3*3*4 HP boilers attached to a Big Reactors turbine of 37 enderium blocks. Constant free 24k RF/t, no joke.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
Use the wood to feed 3 3*3*4 HP boilers attached to a Big Reactors turbine of 37 enderium blocks. Constant free 24k RF/t, no joke.
That's going to be an epic amount of charcoal or wood that you'd need to generate. I forget the numbers, but I ended up deciding that it's infinitely easier to turn the charcoal into Alumentum, rather than chucking the wood in directly. HP boilers are hungry, and even moreso if they're running at full tilt. Also, that's going to be an insane amount of enderium. What's that, 333 ingots, or a little over five stacks worth?! I'm sure it works, but I think it's a little bit pricey for an early game setup.