In your next Direwolf20 build, will you bother with IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
He's saying he typically just produces a lot more power than he actually needs. In most of my server builds I tend to kinda go nuts on my boiler usage too.

What I tend to do is just build 2 cells per 36 HP boiler to catch fluctuations in usages but typically the storage of the conduit network itself is much larger than any fluctuations I might have.

So do that! I didn't say that wasn't an option, but the extra bees machines do suck up lots of power.
if you have energy stored, you can turn it on to give machine a power boost to complete it`s task at full speed. ain't that a purpose of energy storage?
however simply connecting machine to a storage is pointless, without control, because of power leaks.
If you are experiencing lack of stored power you should make more power storage.

I feel like you didn't get my initial point.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
where did i mention that?

indeed. i have no idea of what you are trying to deliver.

I don't know where you're going with "where did i mention that" but that doesn't matter too much. I'd rather see what GregoriusT get out of IC2, rather than to discuss over and over again how IC2 is fledged out compared to other mods.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Where do you get these numbers from? I'm not sure if DW20 has any conversion between eu and mj.

You don't need storage because you have plenty of power, i agree. but if you didn't have that much input power, storage would be in handy, especially if you would be to run a lot of extra bees machinery. One point worth noting is that in IC2 you'd actually be able to use all your extra energy in a useful manner.

My equation was MJ/2*5 = EU. Its a fairly common equivalency used by AE and Logipipes, and its possibly the one power converters uses.

More storage does not equal more power though. Its just more wasted space. If you don't have that much input power and you want to run a lot of extra bees machinery, consider building more power production infrastructure. If you only want to use it for short bursts then it might be worth using a Rec or something similar but it is nothing like a long term solution unless it is really a machine you use for 5 minutes out of maybe 10 hours or more of gameplay. If a machine exhausts a redstone energy cell before it has finished work, you don't need more storage, you need more power. The same could be said for EU machines.

EU just encourages you to fill enormous buffers of energy and it doesn't even have that many places to put it except for a mass fabricator. At least MFR machines support EU so Solar powered farms might be quite a fun idea.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know where you're going with "where did i mention that" but that doesn't matter too much. I'd rather see what GregoriusT get out of IC2, rather than to discuss over and over again how IC2 is fledged out compared to other mods.

It kinda looks you're trying to convince people that IC2 power is somehow 'superior' to BC power, which is rather silly. Power is just a means to an end, if you prefer the way IC2 works be my guest but aside from the unlogical voltage simulation it's functionally the same. Technically the way TE handles it is way superior because it was designed with server play in mind and doesn't put anywhere near the strain on servers that the IC2 power system does.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
It kinda looks you're trying to convince people that IC2 power is somehow 'superior' to BC power, which is rather silly. Power is just a means to an end, if you prefer the way IC2 works be my guest but aside from the unlogical voltage simulation it's functionally the same. Technically the way TE handles it is way superior because it was designed with server play in mind and doesn't put anywhere near the strain on servers that the IC2 power system does.

Not trying to convince anyone here, just trying to get my point out.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
using energy storage with extrabees machinery is pointless, because they draw power constantly.
They only draw a small amount of power when idle. I had a REC with 5 conduits coming out of it (500 MJ/t) to my bee machines, and a tesseract (75 MJ/t) feeding the REC. The tesseract can't provide enough power to run all my machines all the same time, but it can easily recharge the REC when the machines are idling. If I didn't have the REC, I'd have to have something like 5 tesseracts to provide enough power for all the machines doing work at the same time.

*Edit* And, back on the original thread, yes I am using IC2. I like the overclocker mechanism for fast macerating and furnacing, and I like the jet packs. When I set up my base properly I will probably use banks of router-fed pulverizers and powered furnaces for my automatic processing though.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've run the extra bees machines just fine with only 20mj/t in my entire base. Since only the genepool is automated, when I'm not using those machines I throttle REC output to between 1-5mj/t, which is enough to charge up the genepool between it waiting for new bees. Once I'm using those machines, max the output, then throttle it again so the reserves can recharge.
I've honestly never seen the need to produce hundreds of mj/t, there's just nothing to use that power on. (same as IC2, apart from UU, there's no need to have all this power being generated).

OT, on my server, we don't have IC2, and none of the players are actually missing it. There's alternate tech mods to experiment with and learn.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Well I like to have around 124mj/t of power output, keeps a quarry running on full blast as well as my sorting, autosmelting AE/LP and so on.

Noby07

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, Hi FTB Community and Team! :)
Now, I don't like how People react like: This Mod has gotten old i'll just throw this years of work away.
I haven't really been using IC2 stuff too, but why not keep it?
I really like how IndustrialCraft tends to not only add Usefull Machines (Well, not anymore if I can understand what you all say) but also more Industrial Stuff.
Does any other Mod add CF, Scaffolds, Safes, Trade-O-Mat and other stuff.
I can understand it's gotten a bit odd for most of people but this isn't a reason for hating a mod. Most of People started out in a World with IC2 and has been wondering:
Wow! This is such a cool mod! and and and.....
But if you do not need it at all, just ignore it and let other people have fun with it.
I don't tend to spend much time in IC2 (Mostly because of makin an early game Jetpack and for quick recharging Powersuits lator on, wich are my Favorite BTW)
But it is nice to have more space wasted with some nice looking machines.
You all know, IndustrialCraft 2 has set a Milestone for minecraft Modding and Modpacks.
Thanks for reading and for all UE and Mekanism Fans:
Cheers :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
MFR has Vine Scaffolding. Which looks really cool amongst being cheaper than IC2 scaffolding and fits perfectly with a jungle treehouse.

Noby07

Jul 29, 2019
Yah but, in the great picture of Things, you can use wich one you want and most natural looking things will fit in natural buildings.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Vendor blocks are like trade-o-mats 2.0 although more buggy.

CF will be replaced in part with forge multipart, safes have alternatives with mffs locking all nearby block interaction, and basically everything else in the mod could be replaced or avoided.

But it's a series of choices that FTB may need to confront in the near future.

Who knows what might happen when a mod like electrodynamics reaches full speed.

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Between the EU/MJ fight I personally prefer EU. For some reason it's just my preference for making and transferring energy. It could be that's what I started out with, so like an old shoe or the storage options. I tend to build up both systems so my base looks like Frankenstein with some of this/that.

As to Kirin's initial question I would prefer if DW tossed out IC2 in his next let's play and used UE instead or at least add it. The 3 main power/processing options are IC2, BC and UE. He's done IC2 starts up until this year for which he has gone all BC via TE. I think it would be interesting to see him branch out.

Reactions: RedBoss

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
True, but the only thing I've seen that has similar functionality to the drill is the powertool, which requires some upgrading. Also, other than the powertool, I think the drill was the only pure-mining tool that would allow for speedy mining. :p Also, the drill looked cool. :3