Improving ftb load time

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
The actual reading of the zip/jar files is not the thing that is slowing down startup time. What really slows down startup time is all the initialization like loading textures, setting up items, recepies, whatever that every mod has to do. It is simply a lot of setup time per mod. It adds up. You can see what the loader is doing by looking at the logs and seeing all initialization messages appear.

fleutius

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if you unzip?
Think about it for just a second.
A program is looking in a specific folder for certain types of files.
It is specifically searching for these exact files (zip).
Now if you change the file type how would it now know what to look for?

FTB_Time

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway - apart from OP silly suggestion, are there any realistic ways to improve load time, mine takes 7-10 mins, is this normal??

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway - apart from OP silly suggestion, are there any realistic ways to improve load time, mine takes 7-10 mins, is this normal??

Like I said. Grab a SSD. A decent CPU doesn't hurt either. You can also start stripping out any mods you don't need/want.

Reactions: Padfoote

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Reduce your mod list, vanilla minecraft loads up in an instant, while modded takes ages.. the difference?
the number of mods. The more mods you have, the longer it takes, quite a simple correlation

Reactions: Wagon153

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
not really...it is the number of Items and blocks. 10 mods with 1 item will take less time than 2 mods with 10 items each
It still takes time for Forge to register the mod and load it. But your point is still valid. The more stuff the mod changes/adds, the longer it takes. For example: Gregtech.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
More mods still follows the trend of more to load though, yes there are mods that have more of an impact than others, but they all still have some sort of an impact
Yes yes they do all have some sort of an impact.

Ronbob55

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying Direwolf 1.7.10 recently and it takes an average of 6 minutes to load which is an increase of about 3 minutes from the DW 1.6.4 mod pack. If this is the trend I'm not very enthusiastic about it. I mean, where does it end? Will it not be long when the load time is 10 minutes? I found it irritating when I was waiting 2.5 to 3 minutes for Monster & DW 1.6.4 to load and now it's just ridiculous.

I have a pretty good PC and it has a SSD drive so the SSD drive solution is not the thing. The best solution for me is to reduce mods from the pack especially since I only play SSP and don't need most of the mods in the pack. However, trying this is not always an easy thing. Sometimes removing a mod will cause errors which will cause a fail to load. We are not all mod pack and error log gurus that can sift through the jungle of messages and decipher what the actual problems are.

I am curious what the load times are for other folks with DW 1.7 and Infinity 1.7.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what you people are doing differently but my custom pack which was branched off DW 1.03 and simply has all the mods updated loads in a grand total of 80 seconds. Add maybe 15 for logging into a server and letting the world initially generate and render.

Nothing special hardware wise either. Pentium G3258 @ stock, Intel 530 180GB SSD, GTX 770 @ stock. Normally both the video card and processor have a healthy overclock but I put them back to stock to test loading times.

The only thing that was different then normal was FastCraft 1.19 was added but that's pretty normal these days.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking