Improve FTB's 3rd party/Private pack submittion system.

the_dmx

Jul 29, 2019
It is getting very difficult to plan server updates when after submission of an update we have no idea when it will be posted. The packs in the launcher gets updated before we can get the server ready for a smooth transition.
I suggest using a ticket system for handling private packs instead of PMs on a forum board. This would also mean adding more people to take the load off of watchful.

TinaTina

Jul 29, 2019
Wacthful11 said:
Submissions are accepted until Wednesday night each week. They should go live at any time up to Friday night. If you submit on Thursday it may or may not go up.

I have not yet had an issue with the Submission of updates to my pack, and so far the great Watchful has kept to the promised schedule. However, I do agree that a ticket system with an expanded team to deal with updates/addition would streamline the process and probably lighten watchful's load.

the_dmx

Jul 29, 2019
Good, im glad you haven't had issue. Please do not skew my point. I'm trying to give ideas on how this can be approved. Watchful is doing a good job. My point is the current schedule isn't working well. How many updates could you have possibly have done or needed since Dec 11th?

TinaTina

Jul 29, 2019
This is not my only FTB forum account. I lost my old one. And if you read my reply in full you will see that I am in fact agreeing with you.

Though I am curious to know how the schedule is not working in your view.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
This is mostly my fault. I say in the guidelines I do updates on Thursdays, but the past few months I've been more just putting packs up when I have time.

With my current resources, I can't do what I really want and implement some sort of web portal where you can mostly update your pack yourself. Additionally, I can't really implement a ticket system. Aside from getting it setup and hosting it, that would likely require people to make a separate account, which I'm not a big fan of.

Now that I am accepting 1.6 packs, the number of updates has gone back up to where it was back in May with 1.5 packs. So I'm moving back to a more normal schedule. However, that is still officially any time from Thursday morning to Friday night, so it's still a pretty broad window.

How narrow a time window would you think is acceptable?

the_dmx

Jul 29, 2019
Well this is the big problem with hosting packs on the FTB system. If a server needs a hot fix or a something small like 1 line of a config changed we have to have the entire pack sent to you. and then wait a whole week until the next friday. Under the current system of sending you a PM and hoping that it might get done just cannot work on a serious server. I'm not blaming you at all Watchful11. There are so many packs and if you really are the only person doing it and are willing to let that be the continuing situation then this just wont work. You have quite the job to do and are doing the best you can I'm sure. 48hrs is the biggest feasible window since youre the only one doing this. and that is a bit ridiculous if there is a problem 48hrs is quite a long time. but even then. your window of uploads is Thursday morning to Friday night you aren't counting the other days of the week. If you put a pack up on Friday and something goes wrong Sunday you're talking another week to get the fix out to clients.

I've offered to help. I'm trying to think of solutions i certainly do not feel entitled to having my pack on the FTB launcher. If this is the best FTB can do on the launcher than I will move on to a better solution. I realize that last thing doesn't mean jack to FTB as my pack does not offer anything back to FTB. In fact being on FTB helps visibility for my server. A lot of work goes into running a good server and keeping a good pack going. The hold up is always waiting for FTB to upload the pack and then i can never plan on when to do server updates so that my players can have the best experience. I've had to customize my own launcher and will just end up moving to that and removing any and all affiliation with FTB. I feel that if we are not on the launcher we cannot be claiming FTB. so any permissions that we have through FTB will be void as we are no longer using your platform. -the_dmx- that is all

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
There isn't really anything anyone can do to help. The way the current launcher and backend is built, if you have file access to the main server, you can edit any of the files, including the main modpacks. This entire system is far from ideal, but it's what we have now, and until the "new" launcher comes out, I just have to work with it.

At home I get an up speed of maybe 600 kb/s. This last week the packs totaled about 2 gigs. That takes a long time. Additionally, my schedule doesn't allow me to pick an exact time each week I can guarantee having time to do the uploads. However, I am always happy to upload a hotfix if needed, you don't have to wait the whole week.

Also, the 3rd party packs system literally wouldn't exist if I didn't do it. I'm not trying to diss slowpoke or any of the other staff, but I can almost guarantee it wouldn't have gotten past the early concept of a year ago. It's just too much work for so little gain.

I'm happy to work with people if they need something special for their server, and hopefully the system will get better over time, but at this point it's mostly take it or leave it.

The other two good options I know of are the Technic launcher, which is robust, but I'm not a big fan of the launcher itself, or McUpdater, which I haven't checked on in several months, so I don't know how well built it is currently.

the_dmx

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your hard work Watchful11. It is appreciated. Can probably lock this thread since you have answered.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I would like to come up with something you're satisfied with. How does this sound,

A pack update consists of two files. The modpack zip and a changed copy of the xml file.
I can upload the zip from my computer, then upload the xml to my VPS. Then have the VPS automatically upload the xml at a specific time, say midnight est on Friday. If you have a hotfix, I can upload the modpack, then have the VPS push the xml at midnight of whatever day it is.