Immersive Steam Powered Rails

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I remember there being a config setting for Steve's Carts? I remember it letting you adjust the time it took to build carts.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
And there's an industrial espionage upgrade that's not terribly expensive, that chops a flat 100 seconds off of the time, as well as reducing the total time taken.

I made an automatic rail layer from it, that would let me lay down turns and it would stop laying, and run around the corner, and then continue on. Railcraft's tunnel bore just plows right over tracks lain down.

V

Viperion

Have been having a quick run through with Mekanism still installed but not using it to see how hard it is to get an Immersive Engineering Crusher up and running (side note: I have an intense dislike for mods with an ore doubling mechanism which is only available late game - by then you don't NEED ore doubling!!!!eleventyone!!1!!!), and it's pretty good. Have removed Mekanism from the pack, am testing again now.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, Crusher is surprisingly early on in the game. It makes life a lot easier, plus I believe it's capable of bonus dusts.

V

Viperion

Yeah it does seem to be. Very occasionally (like 1 or 2%) I've got nickel dust from Iron

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, I believe you can Minetweak the chances for stuff. I know Iskandar did for Modular Mayhem. He also added custom ore pick ups from the Excavator, but I'm not sure how he did that.

V

Viperion

Looks to be fairly stable. I'll look seriously at uploading it over the weekend; do I post a new thread in the Public Modpacks forum when it's live?

Shunka Warakin

Jul 29, 2019
This looks quite interesting!

I do believe that if you're going live with it on FTB, then yes, a new thread in the Public Modpacks forum is appropriate.

I have to agree that Thermal Foundation is a bit too modern for most Steampunk looks. OTOH, removing Ender Storage makes a lot of distributed automation more difficult (trying to pass everything from all around the world through a single ender storage-space is kind of troublesome).

Someone needs to make a more steampunky fast-movement mod rather than jetpacks. Time for the ol' backpack ornithopter or autogyro or some such... Flight is far too handy in far too many situations to abandon. Or does Flaxbeard's have something for it? I confess I've not deeply explored FB's.

Oh! Have you looked at OpenTransport/MoarCarts (a railcraft mod which allows ender chests, etc...very handy for your tunnel bore automation!)? It also allows putting Iron Chests chests onto Railcraft cars.

I also would strongly support Steve's Carts being in. I have no idea who said it was grindy. I guess if you want Galgadorian (final tier) everything, it COULD be grindy, but I've always felt that was pointless...The mining carts are a much nicer alternative to the usual vertical quarries, and the treefarming/cropfarming mode seems very, very steamy...It's all about rails and little specialty rail-borne primitive bots. Mining carts with drills, mining carts with sprinklers, mining carts with saws, mining carts with old-school thresher/harvesters...

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Flaxbeard has a jetpack mod for it's exosuit, it does eat up all your steam though. The jump mod and glider mod are much better for long distance travel.

I kinda think flight is too convenient. It's handy for building to hover though but it still cheapens survival building. I tend to get flight later then I can.

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Flaxbeard has a jetpack mod for it's exosuit, it does eat up all your steam though. The jump mod and glider mod are much better for long distance travel.

I kinda think flight is too convenient. It's handy for building to hover though but it still cheapens survival building. I tend to get flight later then I can.

Oh, I'd agree. Flight makes many things much easier. Just like, oh, ore-doubling, automated mining, smarter storage, pumps, ducts, fast furnaces...

You know. Mods. Those things.

Useful information about Flaxbeard. For some reason I never pushed far into the whole steam-powered exosuit line of things. Somehow steam powered armor seems a little weird to me, a little too advanced and all of the giant-robot style powered fist/drill weapons aren't up my alley, either.

Different strokes.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Part of the problem is that the jetpack or other flight become the default mode of movement. They're all too powerful. Or you can recharge them on the fly. I like Mekanism, because it's jetpack needs hydrogen generated by a fixed, power using structure. You can't recharge it in flight, or even just in the inventory. You have to haul around a gas tank and place it to recharge the jetpack.

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Part of the problem is that the jetpack or other flight become the default mode of movement. They're all too powerful. Or you can recharge them on the fly. I like Mekanism, because it's jetpack needs hydrogen generated by a fixed, power using structure. You can't recharge it in flight, or even just in the inventory. You have to haul around a gas tank and place it to recharge the jetpack.

Isn't that also true of the other jetpacks, at least until you reach higher resource manufacturing levels (enderium, etc)? You still need to haul around some sort of battery (...Gas tank...It's still a block that you connected to other blocks and put resources in to make energy) and set down somewhere to recharge it when it's empty. Just saying. The mechanic isn't that different.

If you have no jetpack a horse becomes default (unless you're playing 1.9/10 with the new boats and end up in a very river-y landscape, in which case sometimes a boat is more useful and faster from point A to point B, even with all the river zigzags, than a horse that cannot swim).

If you can't find a saddle (pure LUCK, no skill involved, no building, no question of resources) then your feet become default. As I said, it's different strokes for different folks. You feel that jetpacks are "too easy" but the list of things that make the game easier is very long. I find automated mining and factory capability makes far, far more of an impact on the game than any travel mode does.

Oh, and leave us not forget mods like Mystcraft, where once you have linking books they become the default...You only have to go anywhere ONCE to set up a link.

As Azzanine pointed out, if something in the game isn't to your liking, you don't have to build it until later...if at all.

But I think we are delving into "What should Minecraft be?" territory instead of "What should this modpack be?" aren't we?

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes and no. I can just pull the jetpack off and stand in a 2x1 space and recharge anything flux powered, presuming I'm not wearing a hat that regenerates it.

Horses and boats are fine options, but they don't trivialize travel the way a jetpack does. If you have a jetpack, the world might as well be super flat for all the challenge moving around produces. The other stuff needs infrastructure. You need power and production for automated mining and processing. Linking books aren't so bad. You've still got to travel there, and set it up.

Yes, a bit. I mean, I'm not quite sure what kind of flight would be applicable. I mean, Flaxbeard's Steam Jetpack eat's steam. So I'd say that would be fine, because it's not long duration flight. I figure it's something like a realworld jet pack, where you don't get a long flight, but it's good flight while it lasts. Enough to stop you splatting on the ground, or to fly up and lay down a short pipe stretch. Flight that's utility, rather than convenience.

V

Viperion

Interesting discussion :) Jetpacks are good and all (and Flaxbeard's one is pretty cool) but I want mass transit to be done by rail in this pack, so no customizable Ender chests, no AE systems, no Mystcraft, etc.

I've decided (with a little prodding from @TheElectricCake) to add Steve's Minecarts, I'll do some testing and then finally upload the thing for approval. Stay tuned!

V

Viperion

That's one of the reasons I tweaked village spawns to be closer together (so you've got somewhere to travel to). I'm also a little crazy ;)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I picked Highlands Large Biomes, and decided to build different things in different biomes. Processing in a Desert (Sahel since I can't FIND a desert.) That's more than 8k blocks away. Dual rails, one in each direction, doubling the length. Plus another 6k blocks south to my Thaumcraft tower, on top of a very tall Volcano Island. (Six thousand from the junction between north and south. Which is several thousand from my house.) Your crazy does not match mine.

Reactions: Viperion

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
That's definitely some museum-quality crazy you've got there. :)

EDIT: Had a look at your LPs, Triaxx. Some excellent rail advice and builds, but your volume is whispery-low, even when I max it out. Something you may want to look into for future recordings.

Last edited: