IMAC 4K java 8

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gilliam

Jul 29, 2019
Ok people. Desperate man in need of tech advise for a dummy. New iMac 4k Yosemite 10.10 O/S. Apparently only operates Java 8. FTB conflicts with Java 8 ??

HELP

Thanks

Machu1299

Jul 29, 2019
I have basically the same question: Will Java 8 on Mac be fine for FTB? I think I have Java 6 right now, though I thought I had Java 7. There is a box that comes up when I launch the launcher saying Java 7 is recommended, and I'm having trouble launching some packs and this could be why. I can't find a Java 7 download on java.com for Mac, only Java 8. Will modpacks or MC in general not work? I wouldn't usually have a problem updating something like Java, but I remember modpacks like a year or two ago from FTB didn't play well with Java 7 on Mac, only Java 6.
Oh, and I'm currently running Mavericks. May update to Yosemite soon, though.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have heard of mixed results, some say it is fine, others better, the rest say it does not work. Try it out and see. And why the fuck would you get an iScam instead of a decent PC with Linux?

Machu1299

Jul 29, 2019
I have heard of mixed results, some say it is fine, others better, the rest say it does not work. Try it out and see. And why the fuck would you get an iScam instead of a decent PC with Linux?
It's my moms computer she got in like January of 2012. Its a 2011 iMac. My family has always been with Macs, ever since my parents got their first computer in 1993. I have a Thinkpad Yoga, but the iMac runs MC far better. And don't worry. I am going to be building a computer around Christmas time. I can't stand not having a personal computer than I can do what I want on it like play games and such.

Gilliam

Jul 29, 2019
Ever built your own PC?

Sat here wondering why your posting a derogative comment like that ?. BUT ill answer. No I haven't built my own PC. If i wanted to I could but have owned a number of windows based systems and would never go back to them. MUCH refer MAC O/S..... Let me ask you a question now as you seem so interested in this thread. What O/S and specs you running ?
Im curious because you seem very anti mac. Can you not afford one or something ?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Sat here wondering why your posting a derogative comment like that ?. BUT ill answer. No I haven't built my own PC. If i wanted to I could but have owned a number of windows based systems and would never go back to them. MUCH refer MAC O/S..... Let me ask you a question now as you seem so interested in this thread. What O/S and specs you running ?
Im curious because you seem very anti mac. Can you not afford one or something ?
1.no, i try to avoid making bad comments.
2.win8.1, i5 3230M 2.6ghz, GTX 640M, 250gig SSD, 16gig ram
2b.(my pc that i will make in a week or 2) i7 4790k, GTX970 strix, 250gig SSD(will buy a HDD for mass storage later)
3.there are other reasons not to buy mac than not being able to afford it -_-

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Gilliam

Jul 29, 2019
1.no, i try to avoid making bad comments.
2.win8.1, i5 3230M 2.6ghz, GTX 640M, 250gig SSD, 16gig ram
2b.(my pc that i will make in a week or 2) i7 4790k, GTX970 strix, 250gig SSD(will buy a HDD for mass storage later)
3.there are other reasons not to buy mac than not being able to afford it -_-

Excuse me but I must have missed the part of my statement that had a 'BAD' comment. Listen this thread is being taken away from its original intention and that is once again down to people having an issue with apple products. Each to their own i say but if anyone is even slightly curious as to why people have preferences to apple products it could simply be that they are well recognised as the market leaders in desktop PC's and whatever product you buy is innovative and of a high quality. Not to say they are better, just different. If you or anyone has an issue with me taking an offence to detrimental comments regarding choices i make then sorry but am not in the least bit interested in your POV. I join forums like this to seek the support and advise of the gaming community, not to start dick measuring on the quality and brand of anyones products.

Now shall we get back to what I actually started this thread for ?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Excuse me but I must have missed the part of my statement that had a 'BAD' comment. Listen this thread is being taken away from its original intention and that is once again down to people having an issue with apple products. Each to their own i say but if anyone is even slightly curious as to why people have preferences to apple products it could simply be that they are well recognised as the market leaders in desktop PC's and whatever product you buy is innovative and of a high quality. Not to say they are better, just different. If you or anyone has an issue with me taking an offence to detrimental comments regarding choices i make then sorry but am not in the least bit interested in your POV. I join forums like this to seek the support and advise of the gaming community, not to start dick measuring on the quality and brand of anyones products.

Now shall we get back to what I actually started this thread for ?
sure. also, i am not mad, or anything of the sort. i am posting what i think you asked for.(and pointing out some people can afford macs but get non-macs.)

but, back on topic, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-forge-1-6-4-1-7-2-java-8-compatibility-patch

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
"Can you not afford one"
My sides
If you really love OSX just make a hackintosh. And Linux is better. I may have a terrible PC, but I know a 500$ PC that is better than an overpriced apple product.

Gilliam

Jul 29, 2019
"Can you not afford one"
My sides
If you really love OSX just make a hackintosh. And Linux is better. I may have a terrible PC, but I know a 500$ PC that is better than an overpriced apple product.
OMG seriously. Please.... If you are not here to support or give constructive advise other than your obvious (and quite frankly i DONT CARE) dislike of apple products find another thread to annoy

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

You started the religious war with your snide "ever owned an iMac" statement.

For the record, I was a fan of Apple until they closed off all access to the hard/software specs of the original Mac and forced developers to pay $10,000USD to get the info and tools needed to develop Mac software.

While the software development "membership fee" died out as far as I know (it was, ironically, 1984 when the company I worked for approached Apple to allow us to cross-develop a graphic Chinese word processor we were selling with IBM systems to Hong Kong) the hardware pricing strategy continues to this day... You give me a price for any given Mac system and I will exceed it's specs by a factor of at least 3 using nearly identical but not overpriced parts, and put Sun Solaris on it so the environments are similar (both are variants of Berkeley Unix, after all).

Don't get me wrong, if Apple sold OSX as a stand-alone product I'd be running it as a multi-boot option on my system right now, along with Windows 8.1 and Sun Solaris (I prefer a stable Unix option opposed to the plethora of linux distributions which are all AT&T Unix variants btw) but Apple prefers their stranglehold an all aspects of their products.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking