I'm Getting Bored

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Are you getting bored of dust?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, I have a quick question.

I am getting very bored of dusts. All mods have the same kind of ore duplication. Grind ore into 2 dust each, smelt dust into ingot. IC2, GT, AE, and TE all use this method. I'm getting very bored of this. Why not make something a little more creative? Like use lasers to zap the ores into 3 ingots with an occasional extra ingot, or something like that? My question for you is, are you getting bored of grind dust- smelt dust- processing as well?

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe use the smeltery from TC? I can't say I'm bored of dusts, but I can see how you could be.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, it just seems stale.

Then don't use them?

I mean they are used for more then just ore doubling in some mods.

The whole idea for that is to add a step so that your doubling is not just one block BAM two ingots. But here are ways to skip the dusts if you dislike them. TE's Induction furnace will double the ore blocks directly and tinkers construct auto smelt combined with fortune will multiply your ore.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Then don't use them?

I mean they are used for more then just ore doubling in some mods.

The whole idea for that is to add a step so that your doubling is not just one block BAM two ingots. But here are ways to skip the dusts if you dislike them. TE's Induction furnace will double the ore blocks directly and tinkers construct auto smelt combined with fortune will multiply your ore.

That's not what I'm saying. I use it because in FTB I end up using WAY too much of one resource. What I'm saying is that pretty much most mods way of doubling ores is by grinding them into dust, why not use something weird, like lasers (like I said in the OP), or launching it into the air so when it falls it smashes into a bunch of tiny pieces. Those pieces get compressed into ingots, etc.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That's not what I'm saying. I use it because in FTB I end up using WAY too much of one resource. What I'm saying is that pretty much most mods way of doubling ores is by grinding them into dust, why not use something weird, like lasers (like I said in the OP), or launching it into the air so when it falls it smashes into a bunch of tiny pieces. Those pieces get compressed into ingots, etc.

because it is easier and is more cross mod compatible to use dust.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Dusts are fine. But what grinds my gears are TINY piles of dust. Always gumming up my storage by not being enough for 1 dust. ;)

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Dusts are stupid because we have no real interesting alloy system. Just hurp durp 3 this and 1 this = new metal useless processing step that doesn't really do anything special/fun, just makes the game more convoluted.

If someone would make an intresting alloy system (a la thaumcraft learning and discoveries) and let gear be reinforced/have different resists or properties based on certain % mixtures instead of LOLZ IRIDIUM = JESUS then it might be coo. Hopefully if someone does make this they will base it on reality, so people screwing around with alloys can actually learn something whilst they create.[DOUBLEPOST=1371963410][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dusts are fine. But what grinds my gears are TINY piles of dust. Always gumming up my storage by not being enough for 1 dust. ;)

Next time on GregTECH -> Steve discovers a new gregtech version! Atomic dusts! 64 stacks to make one tiny pile of dust. Now required for all recipes. Retroactively. Brought to you by GregTECH! Where our motto is 'Make the game convoluted as fuck because having fun is for girls.'

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019

That "bunch of tiny pieces" you referred to has a shorter, more succinct name. "Dust". Only they aren't compressed, they're heated to melting (a process called smelting) and the liquid metal is then poured into castings to produce ingots. There are only so many ways you can make the process seem 'different' without making it stupid. There's a very clear reason the ore processing in tech mods tends to center around grinding ore into dust to extract the pure metals from the stone. You know that, right? That 'ore' is mostly stone and needs to be processed to release the metal bits contained within? I try to avoid advocating that things be a certain way in games because it reflects the way they work in the real world, but this is one case where most mod devs are mimicking real world processes and that alone makes it about as boring as trees. Stupid trees. Why do they have to be things that grow? Why can't they just be logs with leaves glued on or something. Tree are boring.