If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Make the turtle teleporters from more peripherals work without a crash when you ride the rideable turtle that is getting teleported.
Make the turtle teleporter a turtle upgrade
Make turtles able to have more then 2 upgrades at the same time

Would this make turtles even more over-powered then they already are? Probably, but I don't care as it will be fun.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Would this make turtles even more over-powered then they already are? Probably, but I don't care as it will be fun.
"Overpowered" is based primarily on the amount of time/skill required to use something.
So, for example -
A block which spews out diamonds once per day and which requires just some wood and dirt? That would be overpowered - you'd have it right away, and it wouldn't take any skill.
A turtle (block) which gets some diamonds once per day (or however often an optimized setup does so... point is, diamonds), but which requires at least iron level tools and some basic programming skill? That is NOT overpowered, because the resource requirement (while small) still requires you to have advanced a little bit. More importantly, you need to know how to program it, which is a huge thing (maybe the entire demographic playing modded MC in general is a bit skewed in that we tend to be oriented towards "techy" stuff, but we're ignoring that).
We're also ignoring the fact that some players will "cheat" by just copying someone else's programs, because people who do not enforce honor rules such as this cannot be trusted to refrain from cheating in any general scenario - EVERY mod is "overpowered" in creative. :p

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
"Overpowered" and "cheat" are both subjective terms and can vary from person to person, especially in a sandbox game such as Minecraft. Let's not toss around personal opinions and claim them as law.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
"Overpowered" is based primarily on the amount of time/skill required to use something.
So, for example -
A block which spews out diamonds once per day and which requires just some wood and dirt? That would be overpowered - you'd have it right away, and it wouldn't take any skill.
A turtle (block) which gets some diamonds once per day (or however often an optimized setup does so... point is, diamonds), but which requires at least iron level tools and some basic programming skill? That is NOT overpowered, because the resource requirement (while small) still requires you to have advanced a little bit. More importantly, you need to know how to program it, which is a huge thing (maybe the entire demographic playing modded MC in general is a bit skewed in that we tend to be oriented towards "techy" stuff, but we're ignoring that).
We're also ignoring the fact that some players will "cheat" by just copying someone else's programs, because people who do not enforce honor rules such as this cannot be trusted to refrain from cheating in any general scenario - EVERY mod is "overpowered" in creative. :p

I know, but just being able to tell I want to tp to this x y z location is both very easy to program and except for commands I can't think of a way to do it with other mods as these often need you to have already been there where as the teleport function from this particular block does not.

That being said I love cc to death so much that I just can't play without it. I also like to include as many add ons for it to "break" it as much as possible.

Also some example code for how to use it: (note I have not tested it, it is just to show how easy it will be)
Code:
local teleport = peripheral.wrap("bottom")
local coords={}
while true do
for key=1,3 do
  coords[key]=io.read()
end
teleport.teleportTo(coords[1],coords[2],coords[3])
end
Right now the only thing that is missing is making sure it can actually make the teleport which should be relatively easy to implement as everyone who uses turtles had to make a refuel function in the past.
Another thing that right now makes it a bit more balanced is the fact that it will leave the teleporter behind but as it costs 4 iron, 3 ender pearls, 1 obsidian and 1 network cable getting a good amount of them shouldn't be too hard and with some more mods it is easy to make sure the turtle will always have enough.

That being said: an ender turtle would be pretty sweet. With that I mean 2 turtles(or more) that share an inventory just like ender chests do.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
"Overpowered" and "cheat" are both subjective terms and can vary from person to person, especially in a sandbox game such as Minecraft. Let's not toss around personal opinions and claim them as law.
Which one are you arguing against, and why? I'd be glad to clarify.
Well, I used the word "cheat" with copying programs because it's the best fit, not necessarily a perfect fit (that's what the quotes are for ;)). It isn't necessarily bad to copy programs; you're right that people have different preferred difficulties. As for whether I'm correct about defining "overpowered..." I'm not sure what other way you would define it. It all loops back to what I said, just in different words. So, you could say "something is overpowered if it is the best in all situations." That's valid, I think, and looks different from my definition. It also seems like it would make turtles overpowered. But then, turtles require skill and time to use properly; so turtles are NOT the best if you don't have the skill/time to use it. So, turtles are still not overpowered, and you can see the way my (original) definition relates to this one.

I know, but just being able to tell I want to tp to this x y z location is both very easy to program and except for commands I can't think of a way to do it with other mods as these often need you to have already been there where as the teleport function from this particular block does not.

That being said I love cc to death so much that I just can't play without it. I also like to include as many add ons for it to "break" it as much as possible.

Also some example code for how to use it: (note I have not tested it, it is just to show how easy it will be)
Code:
local teleport = peripheral.wrap("bottom")
local coords={}
while true do
for key=1,3 do
  coords[key]=io.read()
end
teleport.teleportTo(coords[1],coords[2],coords[3])
end
Right now the only thing that is missing is making sure it can actually make the teleport which should be relatively easy to implement as everyone who uses turtles had to make a refuel function in the past.
Another thing that right now makes it a bit more balanced is the fact that it will leave the teleporter behind but as it costs 4 iron, 3 ender pearls, 1 obsidian and 1 network cable getting a good amount of them shouldn't be too hard and with some more mods it is easy to make sure the turtle will always have enough.

That being said: an ender turtle would be pretty sweet. With that I mean 2 turtles(or more) that share an inventory just like ender chests do.
"How easy it is..."
I see variable initialization, calling methods from an object using specific parameters, array definition, a while loop, a for loop, accessing arrays based on the for loop, and accessing io. Go out and ask someone with no coding experience to use - no, to define all of those - and then come back and tell me it is "easy." Easy from your point of view, perhaps; easy from mine, but not easy to the minds of most people currently living on this planet. :p Programming knowledge is an effective difficulty gate.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Which one are you arguing against, and why? I'd be glad to clarify.
Well, I used the word "cheat" with copying programs because it's the best fit, not necessarily a perfect fit (that's what the quotes are for ;)). It isn't necessarily bad to copy programs; you're right that people have different preferred difficulties. As for whether I'm correct about defining "overpowered..." I'm not sure what other way you would define it. It all loops back to what I said, just in different words. So, you could say "something is overpowered if it is the best in all situations." That's valid, I think, and looks different from my definition. It also seems like it would make turtles overpowered. But then, turtles require skill and time to use properly; so turtles are NOT the best if you don't have the skill/time to use it. So, turtles are still not overpowered, and you can see the way my (original) definition relates to this one.

"How easy it is..."
I see variable initialization, calling methods from an object using specific parameters, array definition, a while loop, a for loop, accessing arrays based on the for loop, and accessing io. Go out and ask someone with no coding experience to use - no, to define all of those - and then come back and tell me it is "easy." Easy from your point of view, perhaps; easy from mine, but not easy to the minds of most people currently living on this planet. :p Programming knowledge is an effective difficulty gate.

well.... I could have made it "simpler" by not using the table and the for loop. and instead just use 3 separate variables. The rest is perfectly explained on the web and it was more of a demonstration about the amount of coding skill required if my things got implemented so people could compare it to what would need if they want to archief the same thing with other mods(which to my knowledge is not even possible as all the things I can think of need you to place a block or something else at the other location first)

I also don't even want to argue about if they are over powered or not as that is totally about how you use a turtle.
For example, using a computer for a redstone pulse clock? not over powered at all
Downloading @Kaikaku's tree farm script and use the gemstone tools from project red instead of diamonds to have a nice tree farm going before you even found diamonds. That is at the edge if not over the edge for most people. (It is an awesome script and the only one I download as it works great.)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I think 'cheating' (and hence) balance are completely subjective in Minecraft.

For me, Computer Craft is a really cool mod, that I don't mind in packs - but using it to quarry is rather lame.

I do wish it detected AE2 / BC and/or was commonly minetweaked to have harder recipes. Using AE processors and memory cells rather than 1 piece of redstone!? would go a small way to making me feel I'd paid the cost for the capabilities I was receiving.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think 'cheating' (and hence) balance are completely subjective in Minecraft.

For me, Computer Craft is a really cool mod, that I don't mind in packs - but using it to quarry is rather lame.

I do wish it detected AE2 / BC and/or was commonly minetweaked to have harder recipes. Using AE processors and memory cells rather than 1 piece of redstone!? would go a small way to making me feel I'd paid the cost for the capabilities I was receiving.
It's not that subjective, there is certain levels of power that even your dirt 2 diamonds projE lovers would even say "that's a tad broken".
If I made a mod that lets you turn amy block in to diamonds by pressing G and pigs in to netherstars surely there would not be many folks that would not agree that that hypothetical mod would be broken OP.

That being said balance discussions should be relegated to specific packs that have openly stated their level of difficulty they intend it to be.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
Check out OpenComputers! Very similar to ComputerCraft (Lua and everything), but the recipes are much more expensive.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
And you need to pay attention to memory management on lower tier systems. Your programs are limited buy the ram you add to your system.
Kind of like how redpower did it. It's kind of a re imagining of CC but attempting to make it balanced.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
And you need to pay attention to memory management on lower tier systems. Your programs are limited buy the ram you add to your system.
Kind of like how redpower did it. It's kind of a re imagining of CC but attempting to make it balanced.

But. And this is critical. Not part of Direwolf20. And hence not a mod on the server I play on.

:-(

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Balance, cheating, etc... Its ALL subjective in a sandbox game. Creative mode is a valid way to play this game, that's why its an option in just vanilla. Hence the operative title, "Minecraft." Its mine to craft. Or I'm mining and crafting. Or whatever you choose to use as the method you play. This is all about fun and "fun" at its core is subjective. We get sidetracked with terminology when we're, at the core, playing a game. In any game you can change the rules to suit you or play with nothing modified. We have multiple modes to play with in the core vanilla game, we have configs to adjust in virtually every mod, add Minetweaker and you open MORE options. Even adding multiple mods changes the flavor of the game. In my view, the only true way to cheat is in SMP, when you deny other players, the options that another player has access to. If a group decides to play a pack, in pure survival, and you grant Creative mode for yourself alone, you're breaking the accepted rules of the group. THAT is cheating. Everything else is going to the ice cream parlor and getting as much or as little toppings as you want. If a guy gets two scoops, and you only have one, he didn't cheat you. He just grasped the options available to have his own fun.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
A multiblock mass driver.

Something I can feed a ton of power to accelerate entities along a linear shaft.

Bonus points for angled trajectory and scalability of the acceleration to the power input.

Outputting the entire contents of my Draconic energy core thingy into a linear accelerator just so I can fling livestock at ridiculously high velocity would be AMAZING.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
A multiblock mass driver.

Something I can feed a ton of power to accelerate entities along a linear shaft.

Bonus points for angled trajectory and scalability of the acceleration to the power input.

Outputting the entire contents of my Draconic energy core thingy into a linear accelerator just so I can fling livestock at ridiculously high velocity would be AMAZING.

Particularly if it ended in a large crater whence once a village stood?