If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

HSIkMy

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic energistics should fit the bill. As for me, toggle-buttons, rain-stoppers, manual lava-suckers that hold more than one bucket. And recipes for mo'creatures spawn eggs so I can build a zoo without having my world overrun by noisy critters.

The last one I will do...eventually.
Manual lava suckers = IC2 universal fluid cells that stacks to 64 even if filled

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
There's a ton of stuff that should just be part of Forge...
Stuff like @Yusunoha's upgraded ore dictionary, which is special in that it handles the actual generation of ores as well. As an addition to that, perhaps Tinker's could - in some ways - become part of this: each ore would also specify it's various properties as a tool. Maybe not just ores could be added to that list, but any material, i.e. Redstone Arsenal's Fluxed Electrum - now you don't even need to add a Flux capacitor to have an electric Tinker tool.
Do you know what else would be great? The RF API being integrated into Forge. I'm looking at you, Calclavia! I want to use ICBM, but it requires resonant-whatever and I'm not downloading that! :mad:
Background to my Universal Electricity Rage:
I'm a private server owner. Also, I've been *trying* to make a modpack for a long time - a couple years now - and it's finally done, after the third total rewrite [counting the original]. Experience playing on my server with others has taught me that other people will use every mod EXCEPT the ones you intend them to use. So, if I were to include Universal Electricity alongside Thermal Expansion just because I wanted ICBM, everyone would immediately drop TE and start crafting UE cables and stuff, which doesn't work as well as RF and isn't compatible with anything, unlike RF which is compatible with everything.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'm ready for Forge to sort of assimilate every mod into a communist blob... In my experience, the most frustrating thing is when mods aren't compatible with each other in the places that they should be. Forge assimilating everyone would fix that, right? :p

EDIT: I would also like to see a pulverization dictionary, so that tech mods can just say "this machine pulverizes stuff" or "this ore can be pulverized" and then all pulverizers share that recipe, or that machine has all pulverizing recipes.
EDITEDIT: Any/all optimization mods, including fastcraft and optifine. Optifine is antisocial around other mods, and I think that if forge included it then everyone would be forced to adapt. I mean, we'd all go through mod withdrawals as every mod spent a year or so getting compatibility in, but we might make it in the end.

Off topic:
I remember when the 1.7 update - I think - came out and no mods updated except for TMI, because that person somehow magically doesn't need MCP to update their mod. I went through mod withdrawals and downloaded it even though there wasn't really a reason to XD

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'd also like to be able to make clear glass carpenters wedges :)
I would like to be able to place multiple Carpenter's Slopes in the same block and then apply different blocks to them. So that I could have diagonal transitions between two materials.

And add connected texture support for Carpenter's Blocks.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to be able to place multiple Carpenter's Slopes in the same block and then apply different blocks to them. So that I could have diagonal transitions between two materials.

Just a note: I recall hearing Soaryn say in one of DW20's videos a looooong time ago that connected textures tend to cause a lot of lag when implemented on microblocks, because there's a lot of calculations to figure out if two things should be connected. It might be a similar deal with Carpenter's Blocks. :(

Of course, that may have changed, or it's a different deal, plus this whole thread is kind of wishful thinking.

(Also, I edited my above post)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just a note: I recall hearing Soaryn say in one of DW20's videos a looooong time ago that connected textures tend to cause a lot of lag when implemented on microblocks, because there's a lot of calculations to figure out if two things should be connected. It might be a similar deal with Carpenter's Blocks. :(

Of course, that may have changed, or it's a different deal, plus this whole thread is kind of wishful thinking.
Yeah pretty sure the calculations on something like a bunch of double layered slopes(slopes on the outside and inside) would be immense and it would in 50+% of the time end up not looking like I wanted it to anyway :p But it would be so sweet if it did work.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah pretty sure the calculations on something like a bunch of double layered slopes(slopes on the outside and inside) would be immense and it would in 50+% of the time end up not looking like I wanted it to anyway :p But it would be so sweet if it did work.
XD This is definitely an "if only" thread. :p
Still, though...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
An "I have done this before option" in magic mods such as Blood Magic and Thaumcraft, because scanning all the blocks, and grinding for blank slates is tedious, repetitive, and boring

Reactions: Jess887cp

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Automating blood altars is a must, otherwise I get the point where I just can't be arsed to make any more runes or ritual stones.

If it's Colin tormenting the villagers and not me, it cleanses what remains of my conscience.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

That would be nice. However, I'd be just as glad to be able to remove a block from the slope without removing the slope itself. I built a giant pyramid that doesn't look as good as I anticipated, I'd hate to rebuild the structure just because I don't like the decoration.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Automating blood altars is a must, otherwise I get the point where I just can't be arsed to make any more runes or ritual stones.
Dw20 does this quite nicely in his season 7 LP. Assuming a steady income of life essence, put a number of stone blocks into the adjacent chest, set the extraction filter to the kind of slate you want and go away to do something else for a while. Works perfectly. I don't think I made more than a handful of slates manually in my present world. I had my own automation in Agrarian Skies, but this is more elegant.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That would be nice. However, I'd be just as glad to be able to remove a block from the slope without removing the slope itself. I built a giant pyramid that doesn't look as good as I anticipated, I'd hate to rebuild the structure just because I don't like the decoration.
Shift+left click with the carpenter's hammer to remove blocks from the slope/other carpenter's block to apply another kind.

Reactions: Ieldra and gold49

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, one other thing I thought of (again, something I just want integrated into forge): Dual Wield.
Every mod maker says that dual wield is hard because you need to edit the files of Minecraft itself to do that. Isn't that (maybe) what forge does? So, if Forge added it, mod makers would be forced to adapt (which is good in the long run, terrible in the short run). Every mod would then need to have support for Dual Wield. Like I said earlier, I'm ready for Forge to begin implementing very broad features, like ore generation or dual wield or tools. :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Oh, one other thing I thought of (again, something I just want integrated into forge): Dual Wield.
Every mod maker says that dual wield is hard because you need to edit the files of Minecraft itself to do that. Isn't that (maybe) what forge does? So, if Forge added it, mod makers would be forced to adapt (which is good in the long run, terrible in the short run). Every mod would then need to have support for Dual Wield. Like I said earlier, I'm ready for Forge to begin implementing very broad features, like ore generation or dual wield or tools. :p
There's a mod that does that to some extent. It only lets you wield a sword and a shield at once, though.

Not sure what it's called, but it's in ME4.

And for my suggestion as to what to add to a mod: Carpenter's Chests, if that's not already a thing. It was already mentioned on the "Suggest Mods for Creation Here" thread at some point.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
There's a mod that does that to some extent. It only lets you wield a sword and a shield at once, though.

Not sure what it's called, but it's in ME4.

And for my suggestion as to what to add to a mod: Carpenter's Chests, if that's not already a thing. It was already mentioned on the "Suggest Mods for Creation Here" thread at some point.
Yes, I'm familiar with Battlegear 2. The only issue: The compatibility is extraordinarily limited. My point is that - were it in forge - everything would be forced to be compatible, for better or worse. :p
I.E. some mods like Smart Moving severely glitch out when used with this mod (or it used to), so you couldn't use both together. If dual wield were part of forge, Smart Moving would have to adapt (well, maybe Smart Moving wouldn't, as it isn't part of Forge, or wasn't when I was looking into it, but you get the idea).

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I'd like a mod that brings back the old fire spread mechanics.

I remember one time way back in beta, there was a forest in the way of my town and I wanted it gone but couldn't be arsed to cut the trees down by hand.

So I set fire to one leaf block and went off to make a cup of tea.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like a mod that brings back the old fire spread mechanics.

I remember one time way back in beta, there was a forest in the way of my town and I wanted it gone but couldn't be arsed to cut the trees down by hand.

So I set fire to one leaf block and went off to make a cup of tea.
As I am sure @Primal Demon will tell you, Elemental Fires are the way to go. Your trees will be no more... neither will much else, but that's beside the point. Also, loadsa sand and cake :)