If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Re SSD's, does it really matter? You can have 320 storage cells connected to one side of an ME controller, and most people have tons of unused sides.That's plenty of room already. You can even make it occupy only one channel through most of your network, with a pair of P2P tunnels.

Subnetworking storage allows you to, per 320 storage cells:
  • Save one ME controller face.
  • Possibly save a pair of P2P tunnels or a line of dense cable, depending on the distance from your controller.
  • Use an extra 5.3 storage busses and 5.3 interfaces (best possible case).

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that 5.3 storage busses and 5.3 interfaces are worth more than an ME controller face. It's a neat trick, and that's all it is.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I was incorrectly referring to ME drives as storage drives. So two unconfigured storage buses facing each other between ME drives. Thank you.

I would like to see the massive system requiring enough ME drives to warrant doing this. I have been unable to max out the different configurations of ME controllers I've built.
I can't think of a reasonable application that would require a storage system bigger than fits on one dense cable, but there are some people who really don't like the channel mechanic.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
And it shouldn't have any export configuration slots, both to avoid accidentally making the normal one obsolete, and to save room in the GUI.
I actually have an application for 27 export slots, but it would clutter up the GUI, indeed.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Re SSD's, does it really matter? You can have 320 storage cells connected to one side of an ME controller, and most people have tons of unused sides.That's plenty of room already. You can even make it occupy only one channel through most of your network, with a pair of P2P tunnels.

Subnetworking storage allows you to, per 320 storage cells:
  • Save one ME controller face.
  • Possibly save a pair of P2P tunnels or a line of dense cable, depending on the distance from your controller.
  • Use an extra 5.3 storage busses and 5.3 interfaces (best possible case).

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that 5.3 storage busses and 5.3 interfaces are worth more than an ME controller face. It's a neat trick, and that's all it is.
This debate has to be viewed in the light of the suggestion made a few pages back that ME Drives should require one channel per storage cell and have only 6 storage cell slots because of ME Drives being "OP". Such a change would require subnetworking for any sizeable storage system.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
This debate has to be viewed in the light of the suggestion made a few pages back that ME Drives should require one channel per storage cell and have only 6 storage cell slots because of ME Drives being "OP". Such a change would require subnetworking for any sizeable storage system.

Adjusted the idea to 8 slots so you can choose to run with channels by filling all 8 slots or the SSD route and only fill 6.

As for "requiring subnetworking" that's hardly the case is it, one dense cable/p2p and one controller face could supply 4 drives. To go the SSD route would require 4 storage buses and 4 interfaces, more expensive but uses less channels. Balance, choice etc

And if you want 8 cells, only use one channel and don't want to use subnetworking, well that's what the adjacent ME chest idea was for.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Adjusted the idea to 8 slots so you can choose to run with channels by filling all 8 slots or the SSD route and only fill 6.

As for "requiring subnetworking" that's hardly the case is it, one dense cable/p2p and one controller face could supply 4 drives. To go the SSD route would require 4 storage buses and 4 interfaces, more expensive but uses less channels. Balance, choice etc

And if you want 8 cells, only use one channel and don't want to use subnetworking, well that's what the adjacent ME chest idea was for.
Let's just say that I prefer things the way they are and leave it at that.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
the ae channels discussion...

5e8.jpg

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Boots that, when worn, will allow you to walk on water (add to Botania or thaumcraft most likely)
It would be nice to have my ridiculous speed boosts when crossing oceans

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
There's some myths about ninja who can walk on water via an utemi, which was basically a wooden snowshoe-like contraption. Perhaps a Waterlilly-based artifact?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
There's some myths about ninja who can walk on water via an utemi, which was basically a wooden snowshoe-like contraption. Perhaps a Waterlilly-based artifact?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
I was thinking the same. As in water-lilly...
I'd assume a shoe which places water-lillies under your feet, if water is detected within 3 blocks of you (or something)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
That'd be the easier way of doing it. At the very most a temporary one, as so not to spam it all over the place.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Boots that, when worn, will allow you to walk on water (add to Botania or thaumcraft most likely)
The snowflake pendant turns water around you into ice. Great for crossing oceans, not as good around farms.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Random Things also already has water-walking boots. You can also upgrade them to work on lava.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I can't think of a reasonable application that would require a storage system bigger than fits on one dense cable, but there are some people who really don't like the channel mechanic.

I've been at the point where I had multiple millions of most items and I had everything in 12 ME drives with max cells and a bank of deep storage drives, and I still had a lot of room on my network. The SSD seems really messy and would take up a lot of space.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
There may already be a config setting for this, but if there is I have yet to find it.

But i'd really like the TiCo lumber axe to be able to treecapitate a giant redwood like it does with normal trees.

Clearing forests with the lumber axe (and ExU's fast leaf decay config option) is a breeze, but I just end up with a single dirty great tree blotting out the landscape.

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There may already be a config setting for this, but if there is I have yet to find it.

But i'd really like the TiCo lumber axe to be able to treecapitate a giant redwood like it does with normal trees.

Clearing forests with the lumber axe (and ExU's fast leaf decay config option) is a breeze, but I just end up with a single dirty great tree blotting out the landscape.

I believe a lumber axe may chop down an entire redwood tree, but it'll only do so if it has enough durability to take it down.
if it has unsifficient durability to take down the entire tree it'll not do so

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

I would guess that it doesn't due to the massive block updates it would cause, as well as the immense amounts of dropped entities you would have all of a sudden. Tried in the past getting rid of redwoods very quickly and it was really bad for performance(in some cases caused crashes).
Probably better to just do a bit at the time or to use a Filler or something.

Reactions: Padfoote