Ideal ways to setup a AE2 system[Theory-Crafting!] pun...

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been thinking about how to set up the AE2 Controllers now for a while.
And for some reason there is one design in my head that keeps sticking around which is this:
http://puu.sh/eeJaV/2abc4c79f6.png
#IgonorePaintSkills!
Anyways this way you have 5 sides availible on each controller which totals around 30 BUT!
With the design I have above you could use Dense Smart Cable between the controllers which should(?) allow you to use the channels on those sides as well.
So with 32 per side and lets say the above theory is right(using the sides where cable is) we could get a total of 6*6=36*32(max channels per side)=1152 channels total that is with 6 controllers.
First off all would this math be right!... I really suck at math...
And would it even work.
What I also thought was maybe have a two block distance between the controllers but not sure if that would even work.
Any ways anyone thought of it like this and is there already the most Ideal way to set up the controllers to have a maximum amount of channels at once?
And sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else kind of new here :oops:
Please tell me if im completely wrong and please put a explanation on why im just like you trying to learn a nice mod :D

--
+ Changed title to general AE2 ideal set ups(planning on adding links.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaterishAce23

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been thinking about how to set up the AE2 Controllers now for a while.
And for some reason there is one design in my head that keeps sticking around which is this:
http://puu.sh/eeJaV/2abc4c79f6.png
#IgonorePaintSkills!
Anyways this way you have 5 sides availible on each controller which totals around 30 BUT!
With the design I have above you could use Dense Smart Cable between the controllers which should(?) allow you to use the channels on those sides as well.
So with 32 per side and lets say the above theory is right(using the sides where cable is) we could get a total of 6*6=36*32(max channels per side)=1152 channels total that is with 6 controllers.
First off all would this math be right!... I really suck at math...
And would it even work.
What I also thought was maybe have a two block distance between the controllers but not sure if that would even work.
Any ways anyone thought of it like this and is there already the most Ideal way to set up the controllers to have a maximum amount of channels at once?
And sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else kind of new here :oops:
Please tell me if im completely wrong and please put a explanation on why im just like you trying to learn a nice mod :D

I'm not sure if I understand the image correctly, but AE2 controllers need to be connected to eachother, there can't be any cables between them otherwise they'll simply lock down and turn red

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if I understand the image correctly, but AE2 controllers need to be connected to eachother, there can't be any cables between them otherwise they'll simply lock down and turn red
Ah see I knew there was a thing I didnt know.
Well other wise it would become a little to OP xD

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know why people struggle with channels so much. Controllers are pretty easy to make lots of, basically just costing a diamond (or is it pure quartz?) Anyway, I have had absolutely no problems because from day 1 I got into the habit of making lots of controllers. I place most things directly on the controller like ME chests and drives and never seem to run out of channels. If I did, I would just make more controllers.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know why people struggle with channels so much. Controllers are pretty easy to make lots of, basically just costing a diamond (or is it pure quartz?) Anyway, I have had absolutely no problems because from day 1 I got into the habit of making lots of controllers. I place most things directly on the controller like ME chests and drives and never seem to run out of channels. If I did, I would just make more controllers.
Well you could(not sure if it still works) copy the super Soaryn drive you see in Direwolf's Server play series.
It's like 2 rows of ME Drives side to side with cabel inbetween them not sure how it exactly works but I believe its a bug that allowed it to work(ed).
This afternoon im going into my SP test world and see what things I can come up with... not a lot probably :/
Still going to try the ME Controller set up some how I believe I did saw a Controller hooked up to a cable which ran to a bigger controller but that might have been a sub AE network.
Which I think you are able to hook up to other controllers?
Again seen something like this in the Server Play series!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I'll be honest and confess that I'm actually having trouble with the channels.
it's probably something you need to adjust yourself towards before you'll really understand it all, like I have with most other mods
like I prefer using alot of storage busses and such, and it'll take me a bit before I figure out how to work it out, but when I do, it'll probably become a whole lot easier for me

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be honest and confess that I'm actually having trouble with the channels.
it's probably something you need to adjust yourself towards before you'll really understand it all, like I have with most other mods
like I prefer using alot of storage busses and such, and it'll take me a bit before I figure out how to work it out, but when I do, it'll probably become a whole lot easier for me
1 tip pay attention to what is connected and where.
Yesterday I redid my AE system since it was a mess using channels for nothing basicly so compeletely changed it replaced the few standard glass with Smart Cables.
Now its working to the maximum potential it has.
3 sides total of 24 channels instead of using 4 sides using 4-6 channels.
This afternoon i'm going to aim to make the most potential one using smart cable only to see what size a good automated crafting AE system can do with only smart cable(#Challenge).
I'm really hoping that I can come up with a sweet design for the autocrafting stuff we'll see tonight I guess.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
The biggest adjustment is that unlike in AE1 and logistics pipes you can't just snake a single line through your base but instead have to worry about how many channels you will need on the other end

granted with nested P2P you can run an unlimited amount of channels through a single line but it is a pain to keep them all straight

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
granted with nested P2P you can run an unlimited amount of channels through a single line but it is a pain to keep them all straight

you know it as nested p2p I as the super soaryn drive... I think that is the right comparison.
I dont know the system or how to set it up but I will try to recreate it hoping to get serious storage going.. I got 1 ME drive with 3 4k's and 1 16k which was a paint to make...
Never shift click in a crafting Terminal would be my tip to... xD

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
you know it as nested p2p I as the super soaryn drive... I think that is the right comparison.
I dont know the system or how to set it up but I will try to recreate it hoping to get serious storage going.. I got 1 ME drive with 3 4k's and 1 16k which was a paint to make...
Never shift click in a crafting Terminal would be my tip to... xD
no super-soaryn uses storage buses+interfaces to connect subnets storage to the main storage,

nested P2P has a delta of P2P tunnels on each end and will connect the main network across entirely

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
no super-soaryn uses storage buses+interfaces to connect subnets storage to the main storage,

nested P2P has a delta of P2P tunnels on each end and will connect the main network across entirely
So no annoying replacing terminals?
yea... that would be way better haha.
Could you post a design of it? have not seen it yet I think.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
ME Tunnels can be used to carry channels from one location to another, and can carry up to 32 channels, same as a ME Dense Cable, while only requiring a single channel per point, making tunnels a very powerful tool to expand me networks, especially over a distance.
Yes you can?
Have the p2p connect to dense cable should work i think ill test it out when i get home

Send using magic that is TapaTalk

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
http://imgur.com/whZfMtf
Thats how i usually set up my AE2 Core. Just a simple line with dense cables on every side directly into P2P. These P2P lead into different buildings of my base. Easy to expand. And 32 P2P with each 32 Channels makes 1024 Channels. That should be easily enough for most bases. After that expand with sub networks.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
@Plainy
Read the very next sentence: "However with the great flex-ability they give you comes a limitation, the channel of a p2p tunnel cannot be carried by another p2p tunnel, meaning that you cannot nest them recursively."
It is possible that it has changed since that was put there, I don't use AE2 so I've never tried it.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
@Plainy
Read the very next sentence: "However with the great flex-ability they give you comes a limitation, the channel of a p2p tunnel cannot be carried by another p2p tunnel, meaning that you cannot nest them recursively."
It is possible that it has changed since that was put there, I don't use AE2 so I've never tried it.
Well im testing tonight again so ill see

Send using magic that is TapaTalk